Curtis Davies to come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torres is better than Vassell!!! What's your point?

if we'd been linked to Torres in the Mercury i'd have made the same point - but we've not have we.
We've been linked to Zokora however tenuously and i have expressed my opinion that he's a better player than Abe in his position, with Champions League, Premier League, La Liga and Uefa Cup experience.

Who thinks he's not?

Torres is better than Vassell!!! What's your point?

That if the world went insane and we bought Torres, then he'd probably be better to have in the side than Vassell?

I get what Sparky is trying to say - although he isn't doing a great job of saying it - if you can get a player in who is better than one you've already got, why not do it?

Well I'm a believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it - why risk unsettling a part of the team which has performed brilliantly? It's alright saying Zokora is a better player - and he most probably is - but I think the balance in the midfield is absolutely perfect at the minute, it's one of the areas of our side I never worry about, unlike the defence and the strikeforce and the keeper.

Why risk disrupting a midfield which is performing excellently to bring in a player who may or, conversely, may not perform better? I just don't see the need.

Bringing in cover is a different matter though - we desperately need some quality on the bench in case the first choice 3 get injured. Oakley and Moussa inspire little confidence in me.

if we'd been linked to Torres in the Mercury i'd have made the same point - but we've not have we.
We've been linked to Zokora however tenuously and i have expressed my opinion that he's a better player than Abe in his position, with Champions League, Premier League, La Liga and Uefa Cup experience.

Who thinks he's not?

But you said Abe was making mistakes which IMO he is not. I think he is a cracking player who has settled in this country very well indeed.

We have been linked with a lot better players than Zokora recently but that doesn't mean we can start jumping of the backs of our players!

That if the world went insane and we bought Torres, then he'd probably be better to have in the side than Vassell?

I get what Sparky is trying to say - although he isn't doing a great job of saying it - if you can get a player in who is better than one you've already got, why not do it?

Well I'm a believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it - why risk unsettling a part of the team which has performed brilliantly? It's alright saying Zokora is a better player - and he most probably is - but I think the balance in the midfield is absolutely perfect at the minute, it's one of the areas of our side I never worry about, unlike the defence and the strikeforce and the keeper.

Why risk disrupting a midfield which is performing excellently to bring in a player who may or, conversely, may not perform better? I just don't see the need.

Bringing in cover is a different matter though - we desperately need some quality on the bench in case the first choice 3 get injured. Oakley and Moussa inspire little confidence in me.

But my point is a newspaper rumour does not make Abe a bad player.

But my point is a newspaper rumour does not make Abe a bad player.

Who's said that? I certainly didn't, if you look back through my post then you'll see that I said I thought our midfield was fantastic.

And looking through Sparky's posts, I can't see anything that suggests he thinks Abe is a bad player, just that he would like to get a better player in instead. I don't agree with him, but that's his opinion.

Who's said that? I certainly didn't, if you look back through my post then you'll see that I said I thought our midfield was fantastic.

And looking through Sparky's posts, I can't see anything that suggests he thinks Abe is a bad player, just that he would like to get a better player in instead. I don't agree with him, but that's his opinion.

I'd drop Abe to the bench if we had a bigger, pacier all rounder to stick in there. Abe's busy enough - but as with Berne & Hobbs - it's not until they are replaced by a player of higher class that you realise the mistaked they made.Abe is getting better and better as our defensive midfielder, but is still dominated by attacking midfielders IMO - as evidenced by the amount of times he's pictured just behind them as they break into the box: Ipswich, Swansea, Man City, Milwall to name a few...

One more striker (if Waggy goes) and/or midfielder to complete a very tasty squad indeed

On a more serious note, I think we should get some cover in for midfield. If one of the trio gets injured, the current back up of Oakley and Moussa doesn't fill you with confidence

I Think it will be difficult to get anyone in that's better than our current cover. I doubt we would be able to attract anyone better than Abe, Wellens, and king, and who is going to come and sit on the bench?

Oakley, Moreno, and Moussa will have to do this season i think. I might add Berner to the list, who i seem to remember did okay as the defensive midfielder a few times in his early days (albeit in League 1) and i'd be happy with Gally down the middle if king got injured.

i think people are perhaps thinking we are the finished article already and not remembering our away form at Swansea, Milwall, Preston etc.
If we stay with Abe i'll be very happy. although i'd be equally, if not more happy if we signed someone who was even better!
Interesting that no one is bothered that van aanholt will come straight in for Berner even though since he's come back in the team, he's scored a goal and contributed to an unbeaten run in the league. Is it cos although berner is good and an honest player, this guy might be better!
I'll probably leave it at that!

Weale
Naughton
Davies
Bamba
van Aanholt
Wellens
King
Abe
Dyer
Yakubu
Vassell

Gallagher, Berner, Hobbs to back them up - plus Vitor when fit

Moussa, Howard, Logan to help fill the bench if desperate

One more striker (if Waggy goes) and/or midfielder to complete a very tasty squad indeed

Takes the piss really. Far too good for this league. If we don't go up this year and can keep most of that squad...we will walk it next season.

Happy times.

And as we all know a player without pace is just rubbish. :102:

Depends where he is played. If he is played at left back against speedy opposition wingers then yes, rubbish!

Drop Abe - I am shocked! The guy is a revelation. He covers so much ground. His distribution is consistently superb. His touch in tight spaces is great. Aerially he competes well. The only minor criticism that I could point at him is that occasionally he is out muscled but I think this part of his game is improving. He does a job that gets him little limelight but he is absolutely crucial for our team to function. Drop Abe and we would win far less second ball. We would attack with less fluidity, since he is so often the instigator of our attacking moves. He is class! Well done Yuki! :038:

Drop Abe - I am shocked! The guy is a revelation. He covers so much ground. His distribution is consistently superb. His touch in tight spaces is great. Aerially he competes well. The only minor criticism that I could point at him is that occasionally he is out muscled but I think this part of his game is improving. He does a job that gets him little limelight but he is absolutely crucial for our team to function. Drop Abe and we would win far less second ball. We would attack with less fluidity, since he is so often the instigator of our attacking moves. He is class! Well done Yuki! :038:

Yeah, you say all that, but he still looks a bit foreign to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00