Speculation Defoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok fine, perhaps not everyone!
Even so, it's surprising how many fans of teams such as Spurs and Liverpool would like to see him play for their clubs. After reading the comments on some of the articles published about Defoe, it seems plenty want him in.

I just don't see the value in spending so much on someone who's pace is his one of his main attributes considering he's 32 and his goal scoring record is about 1 in 4 over his career.

He's a solid PL player, or at least he was when he left the PL last year, and would be a reasonable addition to most team's squads.

Having said that, I don't believe that he is worth c.£80k pw or will be the saviour of a relegation-threatened club.

I'd have to say I agree. It's not that he's not a solid player with good PL experience, it's more the figures that are being thrown around. I'd like to have him here, definitely, but for 25% of the reported figures.

Last edited:
Defoe could by now be the next incarnation of Yakubu.

I know the team seem to have huge respect for Cambiasso and he obviously is still a quality midfielder but it could upset some players if he is on 4 times their wages.

It would be much better if clubs could get 'ageing' star strikers to sign contracts for £20,000/week + £15,000 bonus for each goal scored. Your 20 goal a season striker then costs you a basic £1million + £3million bonus, but has probably kept you up without breaking the bank.

Defoe could by now be the next incarnation of Yakubu.

I know the team seem to have huge respect for Cambiasso and he obviously is still a quality midfielder but it could upset some players if he is on 4 times their wages.

It would be much better if clubs could get 'ageing' star strikers to sign contracts for £20,000/week + £15,000 bonus for each goal scored. Your 20 goal a season striker then costs you a basic £1million + £3million bonus, but has probably kept you up without breaking the bank.

By my calculations to earn a £3 million goal bonus he would score 200 goals in that season, I reckon even with our dodgy defence - that should keep us up.

200 goals a season should see us win the league. Get him in.

That is ludicrous. I hope that we stay well clear.
I couldn't agree more on this and said it on other threads. We have avoided a very expensive and potentially disruptive bullet here imo.

He's not worth the money now and we have got a much better option with Kramaric.

Hints of desperation from a relegation rival - which is great.

The pressure on Defoe to deliver is going to be immense at that money, fans will be on his bsck and their club will become a one man Defoe media show, especially if he plays against Spurs at the weekend. Not a team bonding signing at all.

Looking at stats on possesion, shots, blocks etc: villa, west brom, hull, palace, QPR and burnley look more likely to be our competitors for relegation before Sunderland. So send Defoe to Sunderland and go hell for leather at the others.
Palace have just signed the worst striker to come to the King Power this year - Sanogo. Hull have lost hernandez and Jelavic until mid Feb, Burnley, QPR will prove worse than us over the course of the season - because they are worse than us. So we just have to pick off one of the others.

COME ON KRAMARIC and come on you FOXES....

Looking at stats on possesion, shots, blocks etc: villa, west brom, hull, palace, QPR and burnley look more likely to be our competitors for relegation before Sunderland. So send Defoe to Sunderland and go hell for leather at the others.
Palace have just signed the worst striker to come to the King Power this year - Sanogo. Hull have lost hernandez and Jelavic until mid Feb, Burnley, QPR will prove worse than us over the course of the season - because they are worse than us. So we just have to pick off one of the others.

COME ON KRAMARIC and come on you FOXES....

I agreed until this bit.

I agreed until this bit.

I wouldn't mind a few of their players but we've definitely got the better deal on the manager side of things so it's probs an even contest. Definitely wouldn't say they were worse than us seeing as they are higher in the league and did beat us earlier in the season!

There's a good chance Redknapp could be sacked shortly - which could be great news for us.

Unfortunately, conversely, Palace and WBA have recruited well.

I wouldn't mind a few of their players but we've definitely got the better deal on the manager side of things so it's probs an even contest. Definitely wouldn't say they were worse than us seeing as they are higher in the league and did beat us earlier in the season!

I was referring to Burnley as well in that. They've got more goals in their team than us at the moment, in my opinion.

Why not? Whilst he isn't doing the best job, him leaving could easily cause them to implode. They have a lot of 'Arry's type of players there - older pros who I think would be a nightmare to manage.

As previously shown in the Pearson Out threads, changing manager can go either way, and I feel as though QPR could easily do terribly under a new manager.

Or not...what do I know.

Why not? Whilst he isn't doing the best job, him leaving could easily cause them to implode. They have a lot of 'Arry's type of players there - older pros who I think would be a nightmare to manage.

As previously shown in the Pearson Out threads, changing manager can go either way, and I feel as though QPR could easily do terribly under a new manager.

Or not...what do I know.

I don't think Arry is up to a fight personally, and the longer he is in charge the greater chance there is of them being relegated, and (eventually hopefully) when a new manager does come in to replace him - the lesser the chance of the situation being rescuable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570