Derby (A) KO time changed for Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I acknowledge that. I suppose I'm saying the games should be televised on a ppv model that would match ticket prices. Or summat like that. The Lcfc premium site, for example, would be a no brainer. Charge 200 quid a season.

The business model is antiquated in my opinion. They can unlock a lot of money from people like me without losing it from people like Lako.
But surely they would need to black out the UK, or at least the Leicester area, to avoid a slump in attendances?

I guess that's what's happened in the Premier League already. I can get all the PL games for less than £25 a month here in Sweden.

Last edited:
Only 3,500 Carlisle fans could be bothered to turn up for Sunday's win against cov, a lot decided to stay in and watch the two Sky games instead.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City.

or.....

Carlisle Coventry.

Hmmm. Difficult that.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City.

or.....

Carlisle Coventry.

Hmmm. Difficult that.
If I was in Carlisle; not that difficult as I don't follow any of those PL teams and would prefer seeing a game ringside. Especially if I supported Carlisle, which hopefully many in Carlisle do.

TV football has 2nd priority for me. But I would have loved to be able to subscribe to a Leicester TV season ticket as Miles suggests.

Last edited:
The business model is antiquated in my opinion. They can unlock a lot of money from people like me without losing it from people like Lako.

I think the business model in respect of revenues from TV is fine. Richard Scudamore does a great job of raising the maximum revenues possible, as shown by the £3bn new TV deal.

It's the disbursement of this money that is the issue. Whether money needs to trickle down to smaller clubs through FA disbursement, transfer fees or similar doesn't really matter, but at the moment it isn't reaching far enough.

It's the disbursement of this money that is the issue. Whether money needs to trickle down to smaller clubs through FA disbursement, transfer fees or similar doesn't really matter, but at the moment it isn't reaching far enough.

There's two sides to that though. No second/third/fourth tier level of football in the World has got such a tv deal as the Football League has. TV deal for the FL is actually very little money despite this. In fact, the current TV deal was nothing more than a rescue package after ITV digital's collapse.

TV deal for the Premier League is shared out evenly, only the Bundesliga has a similar policy in the top leagues of the World. Barca/Real/Juve/Inter/Milan are at an advantage each season as they receive more TV money compared to the rest of their league.

The whole situation dates back to when the Football League, Premier League and the FA all split up. Thereby for each organisation there is a seperate tv deal. If the TV deal went through one body, the money would be used from top to bottom.

I see both points of the argument regards TV.

My personal belief is that English football should adopt a blackout rule. If a club gets within say 5% of it's average crowd, the game can be televised on PPV at a price to all but if the club fails to get within 5%, then it forfeits a 23rd of it's TV money sum. Thereby there is encouragement to the club to price it's tickets accordingly rather than rip-off prices. Also the cost of the PPV should be the same or a little bit more than the actual ticket.

There is a blackout rule in the NFL, but I can't remember the details and I'm out of the office so can't check it. I believe though that it's a similar scheme to your suggestion Hazz, whereby if not enough tickets are sold to a game then it doesn't appear on TV. This doesn't apply to the big nationally televised games though, I think I'm right in saying it just stops local coverage of the game.

There's two sides to that though. No second/third/fourth tier level of football in the World has got such a tv deal as the Football League has. TV deal for the FL is actually very little money despite this. In fact, the current TV deal was nothing more than a rescue package after ITV digital's collapse.

TV deal for the Premier League is shared out evenly, only the Bundesliga has a similar policy in the top leagues of the World. Barca/Real/Juve/Inter/Milan are at an advantage each season as they receive more TV money compared to the rest of their league.

The whole situation dates back to when the Football League, Premier League and the FA all split up. Thereby for each organisation there is a seperate tv deal. If the TV deal went through one body, the money would be used from top to bottom.

I see both points of the argument regards TV.

Agreed. Not sure that there is a right answer tbh. I also have v little understanding of the impact that the lack of funds has on development of young English players, and how this compares to other countries. But this is probably more affected by the new transfer rules for young players that favour the big PL club.

My personal belief is that English football should adopt a blackout rule. If a club gets within say 5% of it's average crowd, the game can be televised on PPV at a price to all but if the club fails to get within 5%, then it forfeits a 23rd of it's TV money sum. Thereby there is encouragement to the club to price it's tickets accordingly rather than rip-off prices.

Someone recently calculated that all PL teams could reduce tickets to under £25 and still have the same revenues with the new TV deal. That's quite a saving on many £40+ tickets.

Also the cost of the PPV should be the same or a little bit more than the actual ticket.

Really? Whilst some people don't go because of living in deserts, or similar, I'd say the majority of fans don't go regularly because of the price. So you're then pricing them out on 2 levels. Watching on TV should be cheaper than being there live imo.

Really? Whilst some people don't go because of living in deserts, or similar, I'd say the majority of fans don't go regularly because of the price. So you're then pricing them out on 2 levels. Watching on TV should be cheaper than being there live imo.

I agree with your point. What I didn't make clear was that I'd hope the enforcing of a blackout rule or similar would leading to a reduction in ticket prices. As you say £25 for a Premier League matc, that would still be value to what we have now on TV. Just like NFL you'd still have your nationally televised games at say Sunday 4pm, Monday 8pm and Saturday 12.30pm. As part of a normal television package you purchase.

Getting fans into the ground must always be the number one concern, it is a direct sum of income for the club. Make it cheaper on TV (especially every game covered) would detract away from that thereby the clubs lose out. Unless the money made from PPV submission was split by home club and broadcaster.

To make it financially viable, it would have to be screened via the internet.

Apart from the fact that the clubs can get away with it, why when we have the richest Premier League in the world, are ticket prices two to three times what they are in Spain, Italy and Germany? Every PL club has an income of £50million plus from TV alone.

To reduce ticket prices by say £10 would cost about £10million for a 40000 seater stadium. That is probably wages for just 2 players, but could be partially offset by bigger attendances and increased other match day sales.

But surely they would need to black out the UK, or at least the Leicester area, to avoid a slump in attendances?

I guess that's what's happened in the Premier League already. I can get all the PL games for less than £25 a month here in Sweden.

There are local TV blackouts in NFL games that fail to sell a (high) proportion of tickets at the stadium. That's just one of the many positive measures American Football takes, with revenues much more fairly shared across all teams in the league.

why when we have the richest Premier League in the world, are ticket prices two to three times what they are in Spain, Italy and Germany?

They're not.

I've just been looking at ticket prices for some of the big European clubs, and ticket prices, although starting a bit lower than tickets here, they can still be pretty expensive.

Bayern Munich are often cited as an example of a cheap team to watch, but that's only if you want to stand behind the goal. Seats cost between €30 and €70 http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/media/native/ticketing/preisliste12_13.pdf

Real Madrid against Osasuna tickets start at €35, and cost as much as €112. If you want to see Real Madrid play against Barcelona it's much more expensive. At the moment the only tickets on sale for the match are hospitality tickets costing over €1,000.

Tickets for Inter Milan start at €22 for most games, for the crap seats, but for a decent seat it will cost a lot more. http://www.inter.it/en/biglietti/prezzi.html

Last edited:
What about the Moldovan league?! I bet our tickets are far more than theirs, and you can probably even take your pet sheep along as well. Scandalous.

Watching the top clubs in Spain is incredibly expensive, in my experience. I was in Málaga three weeks ago and wanted to go see Málaga vs Real Madrid. Tickets started at €70.

I have to agree with Hazz, and others, on this topic.

Surely the optimum scenario is to fill the ground and then to give viewing access to as many people as possible. By imposing the rule that the match can be shown online if 95% of tickets are sold, it encourages the club to price tickets at such a level that they are affordable to people wanting to attend, while also maximising the overall ticket (including TV ticket) revenue.

I also believe that all games should be available to view online if you're outside the UK - that seems to make sense, given that it won't affect in-person attendance.

I will go to the Derby game regardless. As for the Boro game, I'm glad it's on TV. I go to 75%+ of games in a season, but won't be able to make it to this one because of work commitments, so I'm delighted to be able to watch it on TV instead. That said, I would have prefered it to have remained on the Saturday, so it's a bit of a silly argument really.

OK I accept euro tickets can be just as expensive, but the Sky money could subsidise cheaper seats to get full stadia.

As an example, allowing for kids tickets etc LCFC might get per home match an average 20,000 x £20 = £400,000.

If the seats were £5 cheaper that would be £300,000. If that made them attractive enough to fill the ground, then the extra 10,000 would bring in £150,000 plus additional match day sales.

Why do clubs seem to think that cheaper seats will not generate more revenue?

What about the Moldovan league?! I bet our tickets are far more than theirs, and you can probably even take your pet sheep along as well. Scandalous.

You can do that at both Cardiff and Derby without having to go abroad.

If the seats were £5 cheaper that would be £300,000. If that made them attractive enough to fill the ground, then the extra 10,000 would bring in £150,000 plus additional match day sales.

Why do clubs seem to think that cheaper seats will not generate more revenue?

There have been regular £15 ticket offers, but they've never resulted in a full ground. They may sell a few thousand more tickets, but not enough to make more money than a lower crowd with normal ticket prices.

There have been regular £15 ticket offers, but they've never resulted in a full ground. They may sell a few thousand more tickets, but not enough to make more money than a lower crowd with normal ticket prices.

It has previously worked with the Welsh football team. When Mark Hughes was in charge, Millenium Stadium was full (even in his early days when results weren't great) with £10 tickets and you could also get a very good season ticket offer.

Now prices are higher and we can't fill the Cardiff City stadium at the start of a qualifying campaign, but I have no doubt that is down to the results and the fact that qualifying campaigns are over before they've begun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00