DJ Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the same can be said of Ollie, Kingywingy69..

Personally think Ollie is better with no cash trawling the dreggs of football for players that can carve out a career. City was the first time where he was able to sign big name players for decent sums of cash and then couldn't get the best out of them. Had he stuck to his usual transfer policy we probably wouldn't have been relegated. I suspect City was his last chance at a club with any real spending power.

Personally think Ollie is better with no cash trawling the dreggs of football for players that can carve out a career. City was the first time where he was able to sign big name players for decent sums of cash and then couldn't get the best out of them. Had he stuck to his usual transfer policy we probably wouldn't have been relegated. I suspect City was his last chance at a club with any real spending power.

You mean after all those other expensive failures? :102:

So Holloways mistake was to buy good players instead of crap players who he could have motivated :icon_lol:

So Holloways mistake was to buy good players instead of crap players who he could have motivated :icon_lol:

Essentially yes! He isnt a good enough manager to motivate the big-time charlies we seemed to consistently sign since we last got relegated from the Prem!

Essentially yes! He isnt a good enough manager to motivate the big-time charlies we seemed to consistently sign since we last got relegated from the Prem!
Same could possibly be said for Pearson-undoubtedly one of his main talents as a manager is getting the best out of young hungry players. He hasn't really made any expensive signings yet, it would be interesting to see how he would get on with a bit of money to spend.

Same could possibly be said for Pearson-undoubtedly one of his main talents as a manager is getting the best out of young hungry players. He hasn't really made any expensive signings yet, it would be interesting to see how he would get on with a bit of money to spend.

It would. Though I suspect that is one scenario we won't have to worry about for a while!

Can Blackpool just **** off....I have had enough hearing about their season and the magic Holloway has created when as a newly-promoted side we are 6th in the Championship but get **** all praise.

This is why it would be ironic.

This apparent poor manager and poor player are instrumental in another team challenging us for the play offs, which makes the suggestions that both are/were shit seem a little bit stupid.

It is always a mistake to go for superficial jusgements - Holloway was manager when we went down so it was his fault.

IMO if Holloway or Nigel Pearson had been given the resources and the close season Martin Allen had we would have been successful. Compare Holloway's signing of Howard with Cort or Oakley with Hellings.

Like all managers Holloway made mistakes - he took too long to realise how poor Martin Allen's signings were especially Cort, persisted with Ben Alnwick and got the tactics wrong with Harry Worley. He was unable to bring in quality wingers durin the winter transfer window but not for want of trying.
Above all he was the wrong character for a club in turmoil after Allen and Megson - Pearson would have been a better choice to calm things down.

I blame Milan for getting appointing Martin Allen IMO the worst manager in my time with the possible exception of Peter Taylor. I put some of the blame for the Megson debacle on Milan. I then think that in Holloway he appointed the right manager but at the wrong time. Finally in NP Milan got it right.

It is significant that Martin Allen and Gary Megson are currently unemployed while the man derided as "a twat" "a shit manager" and "a clown" has done a superb job this season.

It is always a mistake to go for superficial jusgements - Holloway was manager when we went down so it was his fault.

IMO if Holloway or Nigel Pearson had been given the resources and the close season Martin Allen had we would have been successful. Compare Holloway's signing of Howard with Cort or Oakley with Hellings.

Like all managers Holloway made mistakes - he took too long to realise how poor Martin Allen's signings were especially Cort, persisted with Ben Alnwick and got the tactics wrong with Harry Worley. He was unable to bring in quality wingers durin the winter transfer window but not for want of trying.
Above all he was the wrong character for a club in turmoil after Allen and Megson - Pearson would have been a better choice to calm things down.

I blame Milan for getting appointing Martin Allen IMO the worst manager in my time with the possible exception of Peter Taylor. I put some of the blame for the Megson debacle on Milan. I then think that in Holloway he appointed the right manager but at the wrong time. Finally in NP Milan got it right.

It is significant that Martin Allen and Gary Megson are currently unemployed while the man derided as "a twat" "a shit manager" and "a clown" has done a superb job this season.

Pretty much agree with that, also think Ollie couldn't hack the pressure that Milan put him under, hence became indecisive (think about the lack of subs in the final game until too late).

Just got to hope Milan doesn't make a wrong move which sees Nigel chose to work elsewhere

Not far off, in my opinion. I understand what Lboro is getting at.

As I've said on here before, I reckon Holloway is a great manager of an underdog and I think he'll always thrive in those conditions - backs against the wall, up and at 'em, nobody thinks we can do it but we'll prove 'em wrong, blah blah blah. That's his big strength.

His problems came when the expectations were higher and the players were better and he couldn't use the "everyone expects us to loose but we'll show them" method to motivate his team. He just didn't have a clue what to do with an underacheiving squad of relatively big names, as evidenced by the fact we were relegated.

I don't think he struggled because Leicester was such a "big" job, I'd say it was completely different to anything he'd done before because we were expected to be doing so much better, and that's the part he couldn't handle. For what it's worth for you Holloway lovers, I think he might even be successfull in the Prem with a club of our size who would naturally be underdogs. On the flip side, if Leeds want someone to get them out of league 1, I don't think Holloway is your man for that.

If Martin Allen had been around long enough I suspect he'd have turned out the same.

Not far off, in my opinion. I understand what Lboro is getting at.

As I've said on here before, I reckon Holloway is a great manager of an underdog and I think he'll always thrive in those conditions - backs against the wall, up and at 'em, nobody thinks we can do it but we'll prove 'em wrong, blah blah blah. That's his big strength.

His problems came when the expectations were higher and the players were better and he couldn't use the "everyone expects us to loose but we'll show them" method to motivate his team. He just didn't have a clue what to do with an underacheiving squad of relatively big names, as evidenced by the fact we were relegated.

I don't think he struggled because Leicester was such a "big" job, I'd say it was completely different to anything he'd done before because we were expected to be doing so much better, and that's the part he couldn't handle. For what it's worth for you Holloway lovers, I think he might even be successfull in the Prem with a club of our size who would naturally be underdogs. On the flip side, if Leeds want someone to get them out of league 1, I don't think Holloway is your man for that.

If Martin Allen had been around long enough I suspect he'd have turned out the same.

Thats what I was getting at! :icon_razz

He's got another year to go.

If only there was a thread with this kind of information in it...

Forget the Contracts thread, it has been mentioned about five times in this thread alone :icon_roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00