Post Match Doncaster 2-1 Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Pearson has come in and recognised that the squad isn't anything like as strong as was claimed.

There's been a number of weird statements in this thread but this has to rank as one of the most perplexing.

Do you seriously think that Pearson was unaware of the squad strength until someone told him about it at an interview?

"I'm not sure about this, what's the squad like?"
"Misah Peason, we hav velly gud playa. You sign." (Heh heh, I lie)

:icon_conf

:icon_lol: Bloody hell! I don't think I've ever had so many ad hominems and personal insults directed at me in a single thread before.

I think you make a good point (although at this point I've heard it enough times!) and the abuse is uncalled for.

Despite spending millions we're not noticeable better for it at this stage in the season than we were last year. Apparently Sven has a theory of putting players under pressure (by having competition in the squad pushing for places) when things are going well and removing that pressure when things are going badly. So he obviously had the idea of two players pushing for each position this season as we (hopefully) would be challenging at the top. It seems to me he's concentrated on this rather than add something different to the squad, like a top class winger.

There's been a number of weird statements in this thread but this has to rank as one of the most perplexing.

Do you seriously think that Pearson was unaware of the squad strength until someone told him about it at an interview?

"I'm not sure about this, what's the squad like?"
"Misah Peason, we hav velly gud playa. You sign." (Heh heh, I lie)

I like your script - except that it possibly chimes more with the Indian sub-continent idiom than the Far East.

I doubt very much whether Pearson and his staff could accurately assess the strength of the squad until they had worked with them for a few weeks. Quite a lot of people had been taken in by claims made Sven and the Mockery etc about our squad - not least the punters whose money made us favourites for promotion pre season. Quite a few T.ballers as well - after all its only a few months ago that people were complaining that Pundit Clarridge wasn't giving our chances full credit

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Pearson has come in and recognised that the squad isn't anything like as strong as was claimed. He's reverted to players that he thinks he can rely on to put in a shift and restored Dyer to create the width and pace that was missing.

I'm fairly sure that he will move on from this position and that will need a more radical approach to personnel and tactics. Unfortunately this means more upheaval - and the worry is that the owners will run out of patience with the cost of funding the changes - taking into account the depreciation on the book value of players on whom Sven squandered their money. It was always asking a bit much to think Pearson could come in and tinker a bit to put things right. I'm with those who think that Sven nice bloke as he is, has done serious damage to the club and frittered away our short term position.
Not a happy situation - over-hype leading to over expectation and now general disgruntlement. But there really can't be any more managerial changes now.

I agree, totally, that another change of manager would be a disaster but, I take issue with your poor opinion of our squad. Were we to cease to exist as a club, I believe that most of our players would be snapped up by other Championship sides within days. There may not be a queue of Premier League takers, but the majority are solid Championship players.

With the glory of hind sight, I think that Sven's problem was that he is an artiste, not a grafter. This league takes more hard work than elegance.

Pearson is the hard man; he should be getting more out of Sven's signings, not ditching them in favour of the season before last's team. He may wish to play two wingers - I like that style myself - but we do not have two good wingers, plus King and Wellens are not strong enough to hold three or four opposition midfielders. This seems so blatantly obvious, that I am mystified as to why NP cannot/will not see it.

Last edited:
I agree, totally, that another change of manager would be a disaster but, I take issue with your poor opinion of our squad. Were we to cease to exist as a club, I believe that most of our players would be snapped up by other Championship sides within days. There may not be a queue of Premier League takers, but the majority are solid Championship players.

With the glory of hind sight, I think that Sven's problem was that he is an artiste, not a grafter. This league takes more hard work than elegance.

Pearson is the hard man; he should be getting more out of Sven's signings, not ditching them in favour of the season before last's team. He may wish to play two wingers - I like that style myself - but we do not have two good wingers, plus King and Wellens are not strong enough to hold three or four opposition midfielders. This seems so blatantly obvious, that I am mystified as to why NP cannot/will not see it.

Totally guessing. I would think that a number of Sven's signings will have been very miffed to see Sven go - and unhappy that a 'grafter' as you call it got the job.

It was right to get rid of Sven - but you can't make drastic changes like this without there being consequences.

My impression is that we're fine against a side like Blackpool who came to play neat but fairly ineffectual football - but when sides are prepared to put a foot in we haven't got the bottle to take them on. Obviously its not as simple as that but I'd rate the chances of any side against us that is able to out muscle our mid field and hit us on the break.

Have to agree with Redditch, Pearson needs time and a transfer window to be able to make the necessary changes to address the obvious weaknesses and the complete and utter lack of balance in the squad, IMO we lack two wingers / creative players, a real competitive box to box midfielder and a striker.

yesterday's result was a real shocker but until the transfer window opens we have just got to muster through, it was disappointing but we are hardly in freefall but the real root of the problems lie with the previous manager who despite spending millions of pounds failed to identify the right balance or style of player that would deliver results in the championship.

Johnson, Fernandes, Danns and Beckford have been disappointing and unable to stamp their class on this division, proving to be very inconsistent, we lack depth or options in the squad and are very restricted in the formations or personnel we can select, that isn't the fault of Pearson and he has to be given the time and support to get this mess sorted.

I really hope that you are both correct. If everything is Sven's fault, then a couple of transfer windows will rectify the situation: always assuming that the owners are willing to be so patient.

I have to say that I am still sceptical, but bow to greater wisdom.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Redditch, Pearson needs time and a transfer window to be able to make the necessary changes to address the obvious weaknesses and the complete and utter lack of balance in the squad, IMO we lack two wingers / creative players, a real competitive box to box midfielder and a striker.

yesterday's result was a real shocker but until the transfer window opens we have just got to muster through, it was disappointing but we are hardly in freefall but the real root of the problems lie with the previous manager who despite spending millions of pounds failed to identify the right balance or style of player that would deliver results in the championship.

Johnson, Fernandes, Danns and Beckford have been disappointing and unable to stamp their class on this division, proving to be very inconsistent, we lack depth or options in the squad and are very restricted in the formations or personnel we can select, that isn't the fault of Pearson and he has to be given the time and support to get this mess sorted.

How can Johnson, Fernandes, Danns and Beckford stamp their authority on the division when the twat we have managing the club sticks with Wellens and King in cm?

City will regret employing Pearson for a long time imo.

How can Johnson, Fernandes, Danns and Beckford stamp their authority on the division when the twat we have managing the club sticks with Wellens and King in cm?

City will regret employing Pearson for a long time imo.

nonsense statement none of the above have come in and consistently shown they are capable of being the lynchpins of the team, who can blame Pearson for picking players he knows when clearly under the old manager the new guard struggled to perform reguarly at this level. I would not be sorry to see any of Sven's midfield signings move on, he bought quantity rather than quality. the club are far more likely to regret the appointment of Sven in the long run, he is the one who has frittered millions away largely on mediocrity.

Last edited:
nonsense statement none of the above have come in and consistently shown they are capable of being the lynchpins of the team, who can blame Pearson for picking players he knows when clearly under the old manager the new guard struggled to perform reguarly at this level. I would not be sorry to see any of Sven's midfield signings move on, he bought quantity rather than quality. the club are far more likely to regret the appointment of Sven in the long run, he is the one who has frittered millions away largely on mediocrity.

Wellens and King are doing **** all, Danns at least has movement, fernandes looks good when allowed to play, Johnson is clearly not fit but does far more than AK. We will end up mid table and Pearson will be luck to survive the off season. Go happy clappers.

Wellens and King are doing **** all, Danns at least has movement, fernandes looks good when allowed to play, Johnson is clearly not fit but does far more than AK. We will end up mid table and Pearson will be luck to survive the off season. Go happy clappers.

Sounds to me like you are one of Sven's happy clappers, granted I am disappointed in the last 3 results but never expected Pearson to come in wave a magic wand until he had an opportunity to address the problems we have namely a lack of creative players, a dominant midfielder and a quality partner for Nugent. If and I say it will be a big if, he is still picking the same starting 11 come the end of January then fair do's have a pop but this is Sven's mess and he is the one who has left us with such a mediocre squad having blasted a massive budget away. but you carry on bumming Sven cos he is a nice guy and he managed England blah blah....

Sounds to me like you are one of Sven's happy clappers, granted I am disappointed in the last 3 results but never expected Pearson to come in wave a magic wand until he had an opportunity to address the problems we have namely a lack of creative players, a dominant midfielder and a quality partner for Nugent. If and I say it will be a big if, he is still picking the same starting 11 come the end of January then fair do's have a pop but this is Sven's mess and he is the one who has left us with such a mediocre squad having blasted a massive budget away. but you carry on bumming Sven cos he is a nice guy and he managed England blah blah....

I am not a happy clapper for anyone Sven was doing the tinker man shit whilst Pisshead is doing the stick with the useless players I know shit, 1 sub last game? Changing both forwards the game before that? Not addressing the failings of the team?

I am not a happy clapper for anyone Sven was doing the tinker man shit whilst Pisshead is doing the stick with the useless players I know shit, 1 sub last game? Changing both forwards the game before that? Not addressing the failings of the team?

Why the venom?

Just calm the **** down.

I think you're just reading it wrong.

It's how I read it, but there appears to be a lot of over-reaction going around. I really don't understand people swearing at the football on a forum when they are able to read what they put before committing it.

It's how I read it, but there appears to be a lot of over-reaction going around. I really don't understand people swearing at the football on a forum when they are able to read what they put before committing it.

Swearing as you term it is a valid part of the English language, Shakespeare amongst others used it, it sometimes helps to highlight strong feelings or opinions but if it invalidates arguement for you I'm sure a clean version can be posted for you.

Pearson was at least 4th choice for the club and having spoken to Andrew Neville I can't see that the club is serious about stopping our current problems, buying a few wingers isn't going to solve this in the short term. City will remain in this league for a while.

Pearson was at least 4th choice for the club and having spoken to Andrew Neville I can't see that the club is serious about stopping our current problems, buying a few wingers isn't going to solve this in the short term. City will remain in this league for a while.
What you related to me about your conversation with AN before the game (specifically his comments about Wellens) suggests to me that the club aren't at all serious about challenging for a place in the PL in the near future.

Pearson was at least 4th choice for the club.

Interesting. A day or two after Sven was moved on, Ian Stringer and Alan Birchenall both independently picked Pearson as the man who they believed would be the next manager. Made me think they had some inside knowledge.

It's hard to imagine 3 other targets who turned us down. I can think of only MON.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669