Dongles and mobile internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

I'm intrigues by these new technologies and would like to hear your experiences of them.

I know webbo has mentioned 3-mobiles internet package and it does seem the best value but I'd like to hear more before I take the plunge:

1. What's the minimum contract?
2. Will the internet work as fast as broadband for such activities as going on talkingballs, betfair, hotmail, etc. i.e not downloading movies, etc.
3. Will the internet work on anywhere?
4. I have Vista, is this going to cause any problems?

Thanks,
Joe_Fox

I'm intrigues by these new technologies and would like to hear your experiences of them.

I know webbo has mentioned 3-mobiles internet package and it does seem the best value but I'd like to hear more before I take the plunge:

2. Will the internet work as fast as broadband for such activities as going on talkingballs, betfair, hotmail, etc. i.e not downloading movies, etc.

1. You have to take a 24-month contract to get the 'dongle' free.
  2. As fast as broadband? It depends what you mean by "as fast as broadband" - but it will be well fast enough for the kind of sites that you list.
  3. It will work anywhere that there is a mobile phone signal - in this case a '3' signal
  4. No

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/index.omp

Last edited:
I've had terrible trouble with my Dongles but the Doctor has gave me some ointment for them now

Last edited:
If I just buy a dongle, will I be able to get the internet?

If I just buy a dongle, will I be able to get the internet?

You will still have to buy internet access. It looks as though 3 do PAYG internet access for similar prices to their contract, but I am not sure whether you first have to have a 3 phone to take advantage of this.

I've tried a datacard from O2 to access the tinterweb; found it a bit disappointing as it seemed very slow accessing websites. Anyone tried any other with more success?

Have you looked at the Three website?

The minimum contract is 12 months. You can get a free dongle if you have an 18 month contract (for the 3GB/7GB options). They didn't do it on PAYG when I got mine, so you'll have to check the website for those options.

Yes, if you have a good mobile signal. Their website will be able to give you an idea of the speed you can get for different locations.

Anywhere you can get a three mobile signal. Some places it will be faster than others.

It caused problems for me, but I installed a firmware update which fixed it.

Jeff, the £15 a month for 18 months seems like the best offer around. Is it worth it? What will 3GB of usage give me?

The carphone warehouse site has a page about dongles - think they offer some other networks too - worth a look.

Jeff, the £15 a month for 18 months seems like the best offer around. Is it worth it? What will 3GB of usage give me?

Read the 3 site. It tells you what it will give you.

Webbo,
With the three mobile packages, is there a site you can log onto to check how much of your usage has been used?
I might buy it today, not sure.

Do you want to ellaborate on this webbo? A link to the site maybe?

There's a bit that say that 3GB of data lets you:
Send 2000 plain text emails AND surf the web for 100 hours AND download 100 two minute videos AND download 200 music tracks.

Also webbo, can you use the dongle abroad? If so, do you have to pay more??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363