ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

Has anyone ever paid for anything on ebay by credit card? If so, what details from the seller do you need?

Jesus Melts, a simple question! Monday morning and I get this from you - please be nice - my head is sore and I don't need anyone making it worse.

Has anyone ever paid for anything on ebay by credit card? If so, what details from the seller do you need?

They would need your details, not you theirs. Before paying somebody by c/c or by any other method, you would want to try to assure yourself that they were going to be reliable.

Why not use your c/c to pay through PayPal?

They would need your details, not you theirs. Before paying somebody by c/c or by any other method, you would want to try to assure yourself that they were going to be reliable.

Why not use your c/c to pay through PayPal?

Cheers Boc, I'm actually the seller on this occasion. I have a paypal account but I don't think the winning bidder does. The winning bidder has said that they want to pay by credit card and have asked me for my details. What details does he need?

Cheers Boc, I'm actually the seller on this occasion. I have a paypal account but I don't think the winning bidder does. The winning bidder has said that they want to pay by credit card and have asked me for my details. What details does he need?

Just anybody can not take payments by credit card. You have to have set yourself up to do so and that is a very expensive business.

Did you say in your listing that people can pay by credit card? If not, the buyer will have to pay by one of the methods you did specify. He can set up a PayPal account easily enough. If you did say payment could be made by c/c - eeerrr... why?

Just anybody can not take payments by credit card. You have to have set yourself up to do so and that is a very expensive business.

Did you say in your listing that people can pay by credit card? If not, the buyer will have to pay by one of the methods you did specify. He can set up a PayPal account easily enough. If you did say payment could be made by c/c - eeerrr... why?

What makes it expensive?

ask them to post you a postal order :icon_wink

That would only work if the bloke had enough money to pay for a postal order; the fact that he wants to pay by credit card might suggest that he hasn't.

use the credit card to pay for the postal order ,job done :icon_wink

I'm not sure whether postal orders can be purchased with a c/c. Even if they can, it would be a stupid way for the purchaser to proceed. Firstly, there would be the 8.75% fee for the postal order. Secondly, the c/c would treat it as a cash advance - charge a cash advance fee and interest from the date of the advance.

If the buyer sets up a PayPal account, he would have no PayPal fees to pay, no postal order fee, no cash advance fee and would not have to pay interest until 15 or pay days after the date of his monthly statement.

The real question is what Joe's listing said about payment methods.

Hi Joe

I've now had a look at your auction. You have said in your listing that you accept credit cards - why you did this when you have no facility to do so is beyond my comprehension. It's also beyond my comprehension why you have allowed an ebayer with such low feedback to bid on a relatively high-value item. You really are setting yourself up to be scammed.

It seems to me that your only option is to tell the buyer that you included c/c as a payment method by error - and that they should pay through PayPal. PayPal accepts credit cards without charge, so the person will not lose out.

Whatever you do, don't accept payment by Western Union transfer. If you accept a cheque, make sure that it has fully cleared before forwarding the item.

When you do send the item, make sure that you send it 'Signed For', otherwise even with PayPal you will be liable to a chargeback if the buyer claims that it hasn't arrived.

A more basic recommendation to you would be that if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. You could very easily be 150 or more notes down here if you don't act carefully.

I'm not sure whether postal orders can be purchased with a c/c. Even if they can, it would be a stupid way for the purchaser to proceed. Firstly, there would be the 8.75% fee for the postal order. Secondly, the c/c would treat it as a cash advance - charge a cash advance fee and interest from the date of the advance.

If the buyer sets up a PayPal account, he would have no PayPal fees to pay, no postal order fee, no cash advance fee and would not have to pay interest until 15 or pay days after the date of his monthly statement.

The real question is what Joe's listing said about payment methods.

You can still use paypal even without an account i think the person has to reg with them but don't have to set up an account.

you can pay for a postal oder by c/c and its not a cash advance :icon_wink due to it being a post office counters transaction.

Last edited:
you can pay for a postal oder by c/c and its not a cash advance :icon_wink due to it being a post office counters transaction.

If you buy foreign currency with a c/c at the Post Office, it is treated as a Cash Advance. I can't see a Postal Order being treated any differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46