ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely not. That leaves everything wide open. I could just stick a grand in my paypal account, spend it all and then say that it was used without my consent and get it all back. I'm sorry, but I don't believe PayPal has the power to make withdrawals from my high street bank account.

Anyone like to clear this up?

Surely not. That leaves everything wide open. I could just stick a grand in my paypal account, spend it all and then say that it was used without my consent and get it all back. I'm sorry, but I don't believe PayPal has the power to make withdrawals from my high street bank account.

Anyone like to clear this up?

Google on 'paypal scam'.

On the other hand, if you're bank account is empty then Paypal can't do a withdrawal as there's no money to withdraw.
That's rather common in China for example - people think it's safe to pay via Paypal, just to find out when they've been scammed there is no way to get the money back.

On the other hand, if you're bank account is empty then Paypal can't do a withdrawal as there's no money to withdraw.

PayPal reverse the payment - it isn't the same as a withdrawal. In the case of a withdrawal, the money would actually have to be there and available. In the case of a reversal, it will be just as though the payment had never been made and in the absence of funds to cover the amount, the account will go into debit.

PayPal reverse the payment - it isn't the same as a withdrawal. In the case of a withdrawal, the money would actually have to be there and available. In the case of a reversal, it will be just as though the payment had never been made and in the absence of funds to cover the amount, the account will go into debit.

I suppose that's the difference, the China scammers don't care about that as they've registered false names and Paypal won't go there and chase them.
I wouldn't suggest Joe to do that though unless he's planning to move to Fujian in a near future.

I've bought and sold plenty on eBay without too many problems. I always use paypal to pay for items and rarely accept payment in any other form. I believe buyers can use a credit card to pay through paypal without registering, but there is a charge to the seller.

The only real time that i have been scammed is when i bought a dodgy iPod. Once i had opened the dispute with paypal, I had my money back fairly quickly, the money just got put into my paypal account. The seller was never punished for selling counterfit goods, mind you. always send items via some sort of 'signed for' method.

Paypal offer protection upto either £250 or £500, i'm not quite sure. If someone funds paypal with their bank acocunt, they may also be protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Face it Joe,you have been stitched up like a kipper

How exactly have you come to this conclusion highlander?

- I have sold something on ebay and been paid for it via PayPal.
- I have withdrawn the funds from my PayPal account to my bank account.
- This is currently a pending transaction.
- Once it has gone through and the money is in my account, I will post the item to the winning bidder (someone who lives in Leicester) - I have his address, etc (otherwise how would I know where to post it).
- Jobs a gud 'un

That's how it's always worked in the past so why would it be any different here?

An ex colleague of mine sold a phone via ebay and the buyer paid via paypal. He insisted that the phone be sent via ordinary mail (not recorded etc).

Surely bloody alarm bells were ringing with that one!!!!

That's what I thought.

This guy is legit - I'm sure of it. He wants it posting special delivery so that it's all registered post and insured, etc.

I've just googled his name and he's got a facebook account and by the looks of that he's just a random guy like you or I. He lives in Leicester - poor bloke ;) - hopefully he'll like the phone, leave me some good feedback and that's it - all a big worry about nothing.

Cheers any way you scaremongerers!

That's what I thought.

This guy is legit - I'm sure of it. He wants it posting special delivery so that it's all registered post and insured, etc.

I've just googled his name and he's got a facebook account and by the looks of that he's just a random guy like you or I. He lives in Leicester - poor bloke ;) - hopefully he'll like the phone, leave me some good feedback and that's it - all a big worry about nothing.

Make sure you make a note of the phones serial number... just in case he decides to return another broken phone in its place and claim his money back.

Make sure you make a note of the phones serial number... just in case he decides to return another broken phone in its place and claim his money back.

Good tip.

That's what I thought.

I'm pleased to see that you are taking sensible precautions to ensure that you are not the subject of a scam.

What else would you suggest I do Boc?

I believe buyers can use a credit card to pay through paypal without registering, but there is a charge to the seller.

They have to register otherwise the seller would not know who the payment is from. You are think of 'without being verified'. A seller would be wise to be very careful before sending to somebody with low feedback who paid through an unverified PayPal account.

They have to register otherwise the seller would not know who the payment is from.

No they don't.

You can request a payment from someone who doesn't have a Paypal account by clicking 'Request Money' from your Paypal acount. That will send them an email with a link which allows them to pay by card.
They can become a member at the same time they make the payment, but they don't have to.

They have to register otherwise the seller would not know who the payment is from. You are think of 'without being verified'. A seller would be wise to be very careful before sending to somebody with low feedback who paid through an unverified PayPal account.

But he has a PayPal account, I have his address, he's transferred the funds to me, I've withdrawn the funds.

Surely that's the end of it?

What could happen?

But he has a PayPal account, I have his address, he's transferred the funds to me, I've withdrawn the funds.

Surely that's the end of it?

What could happen?

He blackmails you because you forgot to take out your memory card... £500 or your girlfriends privates get plastered over the net.

Paypals great until you have a 'dispute' then they go all shite.

I've had 2 disputes over the years. First one got nothing back because the guy had nothing in his account and then last year got £115 out of £130 back.

If I'd paid by cheque or any other way I doubt I'd have seen a penny.

I also use paypal for transactions outside of ebay and even professionally sometimes. Nothing's perfect but I find them fast and reliable and most of all easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46