ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I believe this just highlights how complicated ebay can be. My preferred payment option is PayPal, but I'm pretty sure I've bought stuff off ebay by just using a credit card, like buying gig tickets off ticketmester. So I thought I'd give the option to buy using a credit card. Surely ebay should insist on paypal to avoid anyone stealing credit cards to make purchases.

Confusing indeed.

I've contacted this person (his location says he's from Thurmaston, Leicester) who have said they will set up a paypal account and pay me that way. I haven't sent anything so don't really see how I am in any danger of losing any money. Anyone want to explain?

Can't you still get stung using paypal. I thought you can claim back, but not the first £15. So if you buy something for £16.50 and get ripped off you'll only get £1.50 back??

I've only got done once on there myself. But I just let my guard down and didn't think it through... I paid some doughnut via bank transfer... I should have known that paying "Mrs R, Herring" was a stupid idea.

If you know what you're doing and know the danger signs it's safe to use.

Well I believe this just highlights how complicated ebay can be. My preferred payment option is PayPal, but I'm pretty sure I've bought stuff off ebay by just using a credit card, like buying gig tickets off ticketmester. So I thought I'd give the option to buy using a credit card. Surely ebay should insist on paypal to avoid anyone stealing credit cards to make purchases.

Confusing indeed.

I've contacted this person (his location says he's from Thurmaston, Leicester) who have said they will set up a paypal account and pay me that way. I haven't sent anything so don't really see how I am in any danger of losing any money. Anyone want to explain?

So you thought you were in a similar 'seller' position to Ticketmaster? :102::icon_lol:

Well the guy has paid now and the funds were in my PayPal account so I quickly withdrew then into my bank account.

How long until they arrive there? It says allow 5-7 working days. Is this accurate?
Also, should I wait until the payment is actually in my bank account before posting the phone or is that money safe now?

Joe

Well the guy has paid now and the funds were in my PayPal account so I quickly withdrew then into my bank account.

How long until they arrive there? It says allow 5-7 working days. Is this accurate?
Also, should I wait until the payment is actually in my bank account before posting the phone or is that money safe now?

Joe

Are you posting the phone outside the UK?

No, to Leicester believe it or not.

Joe

Ive had the money in within 3 days, i've also known it take 7 days.

I would definitely wait until the money is clear in your bank account.

I'm still confident that the credit card used to deposit the funds into PayPal are not legit, so expect a visit from the old bill :icon_lol:

No, Thurmaston. Surely PayPal offers protection and as the money was put in my account, it's mine now.

No, Thurmaston. Surely PayPal offers protection and as the money was put in my account, it's mine now.

I don't know when selling but my cousin bought a dvd player from someone with lots of positive feedback. It never turned up. As they watched over the next few days all the feedback started coming in negative. The "seller" disappeared and the police were involved as it concerned a large number of people who had lost money. Despite this, trying to get any money back from paypal has proved to be an interesting experience and the last I heard they were still fighting it, months later.

I don't know when selling but my cousin bought a dvd player from someone with lots of positive feedback. It never turned up. As they watched over the next few days all the feedback started coming in negative. The "seller" disappeared and the police were involved as it concerned a large number of people who had lost money. Despite this, trying to get any money back from paypal has proved to be an interesting experience and the last I heard they were still fighting it, months later.

I've lost money through Paypal, they are ****ing hopeless...if you send to a dodgey seller and they don't send the goods then that's just tough shit. All they do is try and return the payment to you after so many days of you making a claim and if they cant access the funds from the seller's account (they've withdrawn it all) then you are screwed.. Paypal is not necessarily as safe as they would have you believe I'm afraid.

I still use it though :( Thanks to the lack of a better alternative

As far as taking plastic payments goes, you can only do it directly if you have a merchant account with your bank...

I had £200 taken out of my Paypal account. As soon as Paypal identified that it was taken illegally they put £200 back in.

I'm very happy with Paypal.

Was documented on TB as it happened if I remember correctly.

I use Ebay a lot

hundreds of purchases and quite a lot of sales.

I use paypal as much as possible - fantastic system and very safe.

Surely as the seller, I am in the better position. I have withdrawn the full balance (150 odd quid) so as soon as that's visible in my actual bank account I can send the goods out and that's it - jobs a gud un. Right?

They can't take money back from my actual bank account if it turns out to have been a dodgy credit card that was used can they? Not my fault?

An ex colleague of mine sold a phone via ebay and the buyer paid via paypal. He insisted that the phone be sent via ordinary mail (not recorded etc).

A few weeks later my mate looked into his bank account only to find that Paypal had withdrawn the money out again (this is from his normal bank account, not his paypal account).

The "owner" of the paypal account claimed that it had been used without his consent to pay for the phone so Paypal claimed all the money back from my mate's bank account.

So just because you've taken the money from your Paypal account, don't think that you're safe because you're not

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46