Entertainment versus results

Status
Not open for further replies.

camberwell fox

Well ladies and gents I've been posting on this forum for nigh on two years and I am sure we all agree there is a diverse spread of posters on here. We all, to a certain degree think our opinions are correct, but when it comes to it hopefully we are are all willing and able to (at least) understand other posters point of view. So, I have an interesting question for you all; what is the most important thing to you being a city fan?

Would you prefer to win 1-0 and play shit or lose 4-3 and be entertained? Before you all strike me off as a nutter I would like to remind you that football is in the entertainment industry and we all have to pay (a not too inconsiderable amount) to follow the holy Grail.

My favourite game ever is the 4-3 defeat to Swindon in the pof as it was a perfect game barring the result. 36 000 city fans 36 000 swinmy fans, swings and roundabouts, but a brilliant game and hugely entertaining. So, this season (and i don't get to as many games as I would like) I saw us win 1-0 at Reading and we were shit, and as a spectacle it was non event.

So the question is do you want to be entertained or do you want to win at all costs? Personally, I would love our club to win a big trophy but not at all costs. If we were to win something big but by playing the 'hoofball' method, by my thinking this would be hollow, when we watch the likes of arsenal, man u, Liverpool and so forth they tend to play good footy and with a swagger. So what do you all think, win at all costs or be entertained?

Re: Entertainment verses results

Entertainment industry? It's purely a results business and I would much prefer a scrappy 1-0 win in a crap game than lose 4-3 in an exciting game. Obviously it would be great to win 4-3 as you get a good result and an exciting game, but the result over the performance every day of the week.

Entertainment industry? It's purely a results business and I would much prefer a scrappy 1-0 win in a crap game than lose 4-3 in an exciting game. Obviously it would be great to win 4-3 as you get a good result and an exciting game, but the result over the performance every day of the week.

Why?

You make it sound as though 'winning' and 'entertaining' are somehow mutually exclusive!

I've been watch the City for 40 years, and most of the best games are where we have won eg 2-0 v Liverpool (Old Div 1, 1980-81) 5-2 v Shrewsbury (FA Cup 1982), 3-0 v Man Utd (Old Div 1, 1985-86), 5-0 v Cambridge (Playoff SF 1992) etc etc etc.

We won and it was entertaining. What's the problem?

You make it sound as though 'winning' and 'entertaining' are somehow mutually exclusive!

I've been watch the City for 40 years, and most of the best games are where we have won eg 2-0 v Liverpool (Old Div 1, 1980-81) 5-2 v Shrewsbury (FA Cup 1982), 3-0 v Man Utd (Old Div 1, 1985-86), 5-0 v Cambridge (Playoff SF 1992) etc etc etc.

We won and it was entertaining. What's the problem?

Firstly welcome. Well you picked a handful, and of course wecl have occasionally had the benefit of both. My question is general. Which do you prefer?

I've certainly enjoyed watching us a helluva lot more since we dropped Howard and starting playing good football instead of hoof ball.

Saying that a couple of fans round me have criticised the change in style and started saying "we're trying to play the Arsenal way and walk it into the goal." So people have different opinions

Some people say it's a result business, but why then do people still talk about the great Brazil team of the 80's, the great Dutch team of the 70's, the great Hungarian team of the 50's and the great Austrian team of the 30's, all of whom won nothing? People also still talk about Arrigo Sacchi's AC Milan side of the late 80's, which were far less successful than Fabio Cappello's Milan side directly afterwards.

And people also talk about Revie's Leeds, and in other countries: Herrera's Inter and Zubeldia's Estudiantes in a derogatory way, despite the fact they were so successful.

For me. I think there is a dividing line. I would rather see us win if we are at least playing decent football, but when Gary Megson was here. Christ almighty! Relegation was DEFINITELY preferable to that shite for me. It was just horrendous.

It depends just how good the football is I suppose. I have watched games on video of the Brazil side of the 1970 World Cup, and the Real Madrid side of the late 50's and some of the things they did just left me speechless. It was so amazing to watch. I would say I'd be happy to lose and play like that every week, but it's virtually impossible to play that type of football nowadays, since pressing has become universalised.

So I guess my answer is: I'd prefer to win if we are playing ok football. Unless we had Pele, Puskas, De Stefano, Gento, Tostao and Jairzinho in their primes. In which case I wouldn't mind us losing.

Last edited:

Good post, Camberwell. I think it depends on wherever you are as a team at the time. Last season I wanted us to win with style - we could afford to. The season before I couldn't have given a shit how we played, as long as we got a point or three.

Oh, and...

We all, to a certain degree think our opinions are correct
No, no, no. I know my opinions are correct! :icon_bigg

I watched the Chelsea v Arsenal match today. Arsenal played some beautiful football but when they got to the Chelsea box they were useless. Chelsea on the other hand were not as pretty, but they deserved the win. At the end of the day, I would much rather see my side grind out a win than play well and lose any day of the week.

My prime example is this; Winning at Reading was much, much, much better than losing at Newcastle, even when taking into account the performances in each game.

Winning is everything, if you want to be entertained go and watch a film at the cinema.

Oh and losing to Swindon that time, how much money did the club lose because we didn't get to the premiership? Money that could have been used to build up the team?

Interesting topic, camberwell.

My interest in football and my interest in Leicester City are two quite seperated things. I love football because it has such an impact on societies, politics, economics and life in general, I love watching football because it's the beautiful game and I love Leicester City for sentimental reasons (memories from when I was a kid and you can't very well start supporting another team). Great song.

I don't watch City matches to be entertained, because I can get that entertainment from Barca/Man U/Boca Juniors etc. It's a plus, but I'd take a boring win any day over a 3-3 draw.

I've certainly enjoyed watching us a helluva lot more since we dropped Howard and starting playing good football instead of hoof ball.

Saying that a couple of fans round me have criticised the change in style and started saying "we're trying to play the Arsenal way and walk it into the goal." So people have different opinions

Some people say it's a result business, but why then do people still talk about the great Brazil team of the 80's, the great Dutch team of the 70's, the great Hungarian team of the 50's and the great Austrian team of the 30's, all of whom won nothing? People also still talk about Arrigo Sacchi's AC Milan side of the late 80's, which were far less successful than Fabio Cappello's Milan side directly afterwards.

And people also talk about Revie's Leeds, and in other countries: Herrera's Inter and Zubeldia's Estudiantes in a derogatory way, despite the fact they were so successful.

For me. I think there is a dividing line. I would rather see us win if we are at least playing decent football, but when Gary Megson was here. Christ almighty! Relegation was DEFINITELY preferable to that shite for me. It was just horrendous.

It depends just how good the football is I suppose. I have watched games on video of the Brazil side of the 1970 World Cup, and the Real Madrid side of the late 50's and some of the things they did just left me speechless. It was so amazing to watch. I would say I'd be happy to lose and play like that every week, but it's virtually impossible to play that type of football nowadays, since pressing has become universalised.

So I guess my answer is: I'd prefer to win if we are playing ok football. Unless we had Pele, Puskas, De Stefano, Gento, Tostao and Jairzinho in their primes. In which case I wouldn't mind us losing.

An excellent balanced quote PR, i recall playing relly good football in the 70's (my memory may be deceiving me a little though), and since then the majority of managers we have had have not played football, you could also rightly say O'Neill wasn't particularly attractive in that department, we won a lot of games on endevour and free kicks, we were of course organised well, we did play relatively attacking football and' yes that was attractive to watch.

Good post, Camberwell. I think it depends on wherever you are as a team at the time. Last season I wanted us to win with style - we could afford to. The season before I couldn't have given a shit how we played, as long as we got a point or three.

Oh, and...

No, no, no. I know my opinions are correct! :icon_bigg

I can see your point, if you're fighting a relegation battle then points are vital, BUT when we were relegated top Div 1 would have it been any more paletable if we had at least given it a go...?

I watched the Chelsea v Arsenal match today. Arsenal played some beautiful football but when they got to the Chelsea box they were useless. Chelsea on the other hand were not as pretty, but they deserved the win. At the end of the day, I would much rather see my side grind out a win than play well and lose any day of the week.

My prime example is this; Winning at Reading was much, much, much better than losing at Newcastle, even when taking into account the performances in each game.

Would it not have been better therefore to have played (attractive and attacking) well at Reading and won? Considering they couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.

I agree on the match yesterday, and at least Arsenal can take heart from playing well (albeit empty as it was a big derby), at least they know if they had a decent striker they would possibly have got more form the game?

Winning is everything, if you want to be entertained go and watch a film at the cinema.

Oh and losing to Swindon that time, how much money did the club lose because we didn't get to the premiership? Money that could have been used to build up the team?

I disagree, £20 - £30 for 2 hours is a lot of money and i want to be entertained.

The question did not include the financial element although i can see your point. You must (hopefully) agree that at that game there must have been a whole range of feelings, and it was a great game, and when we drew 3-3 through Steve Thompson (was it him?) that feeling was incredible. The whole day was icredible, 1/2 the ground red the other 1/2 blue, the singing, the swing in the game, the football, everything was brilliant again except the result.

I left the game ultimately gutted but proud to be a Leicester fan and part of the best ever play-off final.

Interesting topic, camberwell.

My interest in football and my interest in Leicester City are two quite seperated things. I love football because it has such an impact on societies, politics, economics and life in general, I love watching football because it's the beautiful game and I love Leicester City for sentimental reasons (memories from when I was a kid and you can't very well start supporting another team). Great song.

I don't watch City matches to be entertained, because I can get that entertainment from Barca/Man U/Boca Juniors etc. It's a plus, but I'd take a boring win any day over a 3-3 draw.

I again can see your point, i am from Leicester and want my hometown city to be successful. Another question, if Gary Megson was our manager and we won the league cup again playing neck breaking 'football' would winning this cup be more/less/equally important as teh times we won it under O'Neill? An answer of 'it is still in the record books and that's what counts' is a BANNED answer...

So the question is do you want to be entertained or do you want to win at all costs?

Several years ago I would have said a win is more important than anything despite the performance.

Now though, I find myself more sympathetic with your point of view.

Lots of reasons why but probably most of them are financially related. There is far too much money in the game now even for those of mediocre talent.

Years ago it used to thrill me that I lived around the corner from Lennie Glover and delivered papers to Jimmy Bloomfields house. It gave me a great affinity with my club. I still have that affinity - but it isn't the same.

Last edited:

Results. I don't go to watch Leicester to be entertained, if all I was interested in is the entertainment I would go and watch Arsenal, or go to the cinema.

I go to watch Leicester because I love the club, not the football on offer. If we lose it ruins my weekend to a degree, but if we win i will be on a high until Monday.

For me it's a bonus if we play well and win.

Winning is the only thing that matters - entertainment is way down on the list, behind a decent pie and a couple of decent bints to ogle during the game

I feel entertained when we have won, even if (to the neutral) the match was utterly shite

This whole concept of 'entertainment' over results is just alien to me. I cannot understand it

If the game was a wonderful footballing spectacle and we lost, then I wouldn't feel entertained at all - just miserable, bitter and angry. Pretty much how I felt after the Swindon game. There were grown men crying outside the stadium that day, and I suspect that they didn't feel too entertained by the whole affair

Last edited:
This weekend we play F~#~#t, play shite and win how do you feel compared to play some mouthwatering football and lose to the trees?

Over a season most teams generally show both sides to their game, good and bad, but if you ask the fans that watched a game (not Tony from Loughboro, or wherever), it's like each person watched a different game!

I'm sorry Camberwell, but if your "favourite game ever" is the 4-3 DEFEAT to Swindon in the Play Off Final then I cannot take anything you post seriously because you are clearly an idiot

Last edited:
I'm sorry Camberwell, but if your "favourite game ever" is the 4-3 DEFEAT to Swindon in the Play Off Final then I cannot take anything you post seriously because you are clearly an idiot

He isn't an idiot. He has just reached the age where you realise that there is more to footballing life than being 'Fanatical Frank'.

I did say that overall, obviously minus the result. I did leave the stadium deflated(ish), but what a fantastic game and day out. I don't actually think i am an idiot, but i take your feedback on board!

He isn't an idiot. He has just reached the age where you realise that there is more to footballing life than being 'Fanatical Frank'.

Thanks! Your assumption is correct.

Did you read the post? Answer is quite clearly in there.

I was asking (not clearly) why it is just a results business. If Bolton won the premier league playing their 'brand' of football, to me i would find this quite embarassing and a shallow/hollow victory, the record books would show us as champions but those of us who had watched games that season (and the media) would know how we had won it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00