Enzo Maresca - Leicester City Manager

I don't understand people saying that he failed at Parma. He was only there for 14 games, it seems like the management there were implementing the Watford strategy. How many games had Martin O'Neill been in charge of before people were calling for him to be sacked? He'd"failed" at Norwich but did pretty well in the end for Leicester.

Reading a few articles about our manager recruitment process, it seems as though the following happened.

1. The club's internal review concluded that they needed a younger and cheaper manager who would be comfortable working with a much younger squad.
2. The manager also needed to be free from any 'baggage'.
3. The club employed agents known to them to isolate candidates that were affordable and interested.
4. This process led to a shortlist of three - Parker, McKenna and Maresca.
5. This also led to dropping the likes of Potter who was too expensive.
6. All three shortlisted were interviewed with the main delay in making a decision being Maresca's involvement with Man City until last week.
7. The difference with Maresca was his positive message, attention to detail, knowledge of the current squad, enthusiasm and detailed explanation of how he wanted us to play.
8. It is also notable that Maresca is represented by the same agency that looks after Vardy, Thomas, Dewsbury-Hall, Choudhury and Barnes.
9. Expect us to look for loans from his friends, most obviously Guardiola and De Zerbi.
10. His preferred support team are mainly Italy based and will need work permits that could take time.

I am looking forward to him in charge a lot more than i would be for most of the other canditates. Ok, i don't know what his style will be, but looking at that tweet above, I'm waiting with my breath baited.

Get the ball to Vardy/Nacho/the strikers.
Bated.

What realistic loan options are there? Do man city normally loan out their decent youngsters? Seen a few people mention us getting that 2 Carltons lad...but not convinced as he's normally around their first team.

Tommy Doyle and McAtee did a solid job at Sheffield Utd this season.

Zack Steffen was in goal for Boro, though he did concede 56 goals - not sure how much of that was before Carrick came in though.

Yan Couto seems like a player who has potential at right-back and could use a new challenge.

They're not Chelsea, but they've got one of the best youth set-ups in the Prem.

Pep, De Zerbi and Pellegrini will all be assets this season I believe.

Man City, Brighton, Real Betis. Possibly also West Ham if Maresca retains relationships from his time there. The biggest plus is that Maresca was in charge of Man City's Elite Development Squad and absolutely smashed it. He'll know some gems that others might not...or at least that's the hope.

This will go very well or very badly IMO.

****ing exciting though - we could have an incredibly youthful, go-getting, driven, passionate team very soon, hopefully mixed with some older, wiser players.

Pep, De Zerbi and Pellegrini will all be assets this season I believe.

Man City, Brighton, Real Betis. Possibly also West Ham if Maresca retains relationships from his time there. The biggest plus is that Maresca was in charge of Man City's Elite Development Squad and absolutely smashed it. He'll know some gems that others might not...or at least that's the hope.

This will go very well or very badly IMO.

****ing exciting though - we could have an incredibly youthful, go-getting, driven, passionate team very soon, hopefully mixed with some older, wiser players.
Not just him knowing the gems in the Man City youth squad. But they will know him, and if he is as good as his reputation then they will surely want to work with him again.

I'm not demanding.

I don't ask for much.

I don't even want him to be the best.

My only ambition is for him to be our second most successful Italian manager.

Over to you Enzo. Surely you can manage to meet those modest expectations ?

From Premier League Champion to Man City feeder club.

Leicester City, ladies and gentlemen.
We are a feeder club, always have been, and probably always will be unless we double our capacity and sell out every week.

And then we would have to catch up in the likes of sponsorship etc to match their income which isn't ever going to happen - even after winning the league, we were still miles behind the actual big boys on terms of revenue etc so we are never, in the next 20 years going to be able to consistently challenge the big boys without being a feeder club to someone else.

And us trying to be something else is why we got relegated - complacency thinking it wouldn't happen to us, trying to pay the same as the big boys and then refusing to sell players who want to move on to a bigger club.

If we become Man Citys bitch for a couple of years to get us back to where we need to be then so be it, all we need to do is get back to where we should be ASAP and it doesn't matter one bit how we get there, just get back to the PL.

I think PL loans is the way to go, I'm sure people will say they won't be committed to us but anyone who signs full time is only doing a job, they would move on at the first opportunity for something better like any normal person. The loans will also have something to prove as they will want to be playing at the highest level ASAP which is exactly out mindset too. They are also less of a risk than signing someone on a 3-4 yr contract and most full time players will still ask for a very big wedge for coming here, especially if they come here whilst Vardy is on the bench pocketing £140k a week.

Both Sheff Utd and Burnley had at least 2 regular starting loan players last season, its the way to do it.

Get some loans in from the likes of Man City, Villa and West Ham, mix them with some experienced Championship shithouses that know the league and we should be in a very good position over the course of the season.

I'd expect the first 10 or so games to be quite patchy with there being such a turnover in players and the fact we will still be trying to get rid of some of the lightweight bastards that took us down right up until deadline day.

We need to give the new guy a good chance though and get right behind him and the new players.

We are a feeder club, always have been, and probably always will be unless we double our capacity and sell out every week.

And then we would have to catch up in the likes of sponsorship etc to match their income which isn't ever going to happen - even after winning the league, we were still miles behind the actual big boys on terms of revenue etc so we are never, in the next 20 years going to be able to consistently challenge the big boys without being a feeder club to someone else.

And us trying to be something else is why we got relegated - complacency thinking it wouldn't happen to us, trying to pay the same as the big boys and then refusing to sell players who want to move on to a bigger club.

If we become Man Citys bitch for a couple of years to get us back to where we need to be then so be it, all we need to do is get back to where we should be ASAP and it doesn't matter one bit how we get there, just get back to the PL.

I think PL loans is the way to go, I'm sure people will say they won't be committed to us but anyone who signs full time is only doing a job, they would move on at the first opportunity for something better like any normal person. The loans will also have something to prove as they will want to be playing at the highest level ASAP which is exactly out mindset too. They are also less of a risk than signing someone on a 3-4 yr contract and most full time players will still ask for a very big wedge for coming here, especially if they come here whilst Vardy is on the bench pocketing £140k a week.

Both Sheff Utd and Burnley had at least 2 regular starting loan players last season, its the way to do it.

Get some loans in from the likes of Man City, Villa and West Ham, mix them with some experienced Championship shithouses that know the league and we should be in a very good position over the course of the season.

I'd expect the first 10 or so games to be quite patchy with there being such a turnover in players and the fact we will still be trying to get rid of some of the lightweight bastards that took us down right up until deadline day.

We need to give the new guy a good chance though and get right behind him and the new players.
Very good post. Completely agree.

I hope with some of the sales we are about to make, that we can structure deals to get player loans from the clubs who are going to end up buying 3-4 of our best players.

Very good post
Was wan'it? Nice bit of realism creeping into the aspiration.

Hopefully, part of the club's review will reveal that there was an I'll judged aim to dine at the big table a little too quickly. Slowly slowly catchy monkey or whatever.

Equally, I hope fans realise that it's quite possible we'll start slowly until we get things fine tuned. True, we might just click but my guess is that'd be more chance than design. We'll get there. Was it Claudio that said 'slowly slowly'?

Excellent.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664