Euro 2012 or European Championship 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got what we deserved. You can't play that negatively and expect to win. Awful tactics against an average Italy side.

Other countries must piss themselves laughing at us.

I doubt if the four who have gone further in the tournament even care. But maybe some schadenfreude from among those who didn't?

Why did The Ashleys take the Kicks?

Young has been pretty rubbish all through the competition
Cole is a defender, a knackered defender.

How about a stiker paking a penalty? How about a stiker that had only been on for half the game?

At least Hodgson defends Ashley Young and Ashley Cole after they fail to score - the men that got us knocked out. He's probably happy for them. He should be ashamed.

How about a stiker paking a penalty? How about a stiker that had only been on for half the game?

At least Hodgson defends Ashley Young and Ashley Cole after they fail to score - the men that got us knocked out. He's probably happy for them. He should be ashamed.

You're right, it's entirely their fault and they should be crucified. FFS.

Wow

Seriously, though...just WOW

Just to let you know Ashley Cole has scored pens in the Champions League final and the FA Cup final. Seems sensible that he would take one last night. Also Ashley Young has taken Pens before during league games.

As for Carroll how do you know he wasn't taking the 5th Penalty? I think it should be also noted that when Carroll did come on he had a very good game holding the ball up and also tracking back. It was just a shame that we couldn't get the ball out wide to give him any service.

As penalty shoot-outs are a weakness for the England team, surly there should be work done to ensure that better kicks are taken. I don't think that the Germans miss many of their kicks and I read that England 'From 35 shoot-out penalties taken they have scored 23'.

I know that "Anyone can miss a penalty" but why is it that it's usually the England players that miss?
It's a weakness we should work on, unless they just ain't good enough....

I really wanted England to win in anyway we could and I was not too disappointed when it went to pens as I thought that the same thing cannot keep happening.

The longer this penalty jinx goes on the more pressure is created each time we come up against it.

The best solution to avoid this jinx would be to beat teams during the first 120 minutes of a game (this often requires being better than the team you are playing though)

Last edited:
The best solution to avoid this jinx would be to beat teams during the first 120 minutes of a game (this often requires being better than the team you are playing though)

Exactly, not helped by the fact that England were playing for penalties (or made it look like they were) from the start of the 2nd half

The longer this penalty jinx goes on...

The best solution to avoid this jinx...

Let's not kid ourselves that this situation can be put down as any sort of jinx. Use of term suggests that it is just bad luck that sees us lose shoot-out after shoot-out whereas, in truth, the failure is down to nothing other than appalling performance.

I'd be surprised if we're spending less time training at penalties. I'd expect it's much more likely that it's psychological.

And this was personified by two very similar teams approaching the match completely differently yesterday; it's fine to play deep if that works to your strengths (e.g. Chelsea v Barcelona) but we were woeful yesterday and deserved to lose.

Pissing myself, no. However, I did manage a grin when the Kermitesque penalty went in though.

I now realise (as Pirlo has claimed vis-a-vis the Ashley's disasters) that it was all a ploy to disrupt Cardiff's penalties, presumably they should all have been ROLFing and unable to take them properly.

Even when there weren't penalty shootouts and games were replayed, in the 1958 World Cup Wales and N Ireland won their play-offs. Inevitably, England lost theirs. Best to be fatalistic about these things I feel.

Look on the bright side everyone. At least the competition will definitely be won by a real football team now.

30 Cristiano Ronaldo has had more shots in his first four games at Euro 2012 than the entire England squad (29) had at the tournament

20 Italy had more shots on target in their quarter-final match than England had in total in their four matches in Ukraine

88 England conceded more than twice as many shots to France, Sweden, Ukraine and Italy than they had against those teams

39 England had on average 39% of the possession in their four games, their lowest figure at a tournament since Euro 1980

29 Ashley Young and James Milner put in 29 crosses in the four games. Only three reached an England team-mate

300 England averaged 300 passes per match. The four semi-finalists have averaged 479

15 England completed only 15 passes in the 15 minutes of the second period of extra-time against Italy

18 England's most successful passing combination against Italy was the goalkeeper Joe Hart to the substitute striker Andy Carroll

115 Andrea Pirlo had more passes against England than England's four starting midfielders had against Italy

18 Mesut Ozil has created 18 chances in Germany's four games. Steven Gerrard, England's most prolific chance creator, has made six

102 England ran on average 102km in their four matches. Italy ran 7.5km further on average per match

86 England have had the most tackles in the tournament, with Steven Gerrard's 18 the most of any player

29 England have blocked the most shots at Euro 2012, 17 more than Italy, 19 more than Germany, 21 more than Portugal and 24 more than Spain

It was them two penalty takers wot did it for us. Damn them, damn them to hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670