European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a horrible feeling we might be one of the other clubs who get involved in this bullshit?
I would be absolutely shocked if that proved to be the case. I've never seen anything from our owners that makes me think they would be involved.

I also trust Susan Wheelan's judgement. She's one of the major reasons we're so well run and probably doesn't get the credit for it.

I'm in the unusual position where I am starting to think that although it absolutely stinks, this might be better for the fans of any other clubs. I am not for it (at all) but there is a possible upside.

The PL is so massive because it spends so much time flirting with other countries like China and India.
So here is my counter point (to even my thoughts)

If the big boys **** off, create a new league and take all their plastic fans with them, do we really care?
If in 5 years time, the result is a super league that only the plastics watch and the other teams that were in the football pyramid have bit less cash, do we really care?
I would sooner chop the head off and let them do what they want if it means the rest of the football pyramid was bit more interesting. I'd rather see a 6-way fight to the title by Leicester, West Ham, Everton etc then Man City or Liverpool winning it.

If this 'premier league' product that everyone loves shrinks a bit and it becomes a league that mostly Brits watch and the output of less is less global footballers i.e more academy product coming through to teams because the money to buy the superstars isn't available to everyone... actually that's starting to sound OK.

Is it possible that by 'stealing football for the rich' they might actually inadvertently give it back to everyone who doesn't support a 'massive club' as you can guarantee some fans with start going to Salford, FC united of Manchester, Brentford, fulham etc.?

Not sure it would happen. Just an interesting counterpoint. Discuss?

I'm in the unusual position where I am starting to think that although it absolutely stinks, this might be better for the fans of any other clubs. I am not for it (at all) but there is a possible upside.

The PL is so massive because it spends so much time flirting with other countries like China and India.

If the big boys **** off, create a new league and take all their plastic fans with them, do we really care?
If in 5 years time, the result is a super league that only the plastics watch and the other teams that were in the football pyramid have bit less cash, do we really care?
I would sooner chop the head off and let them do what they want if it means the rest of the football pyramid was bit more interesting. I'd rather see a 6-way fight to the title by Leicester, West Ham, Everton etc then Man City or Liverpool winning it.

If this 'premier league' product that everyone loves shrinks a bit and it becomes a league that mostly Brits watch and the output of less is less global footballers i.e more academy product coming through to teams because the money to buy the superstars isn't available to everyone... actually that's starting to sound OK.

Is it possible that by 'stealing football for the rich' they might actually inadvertently give it back to everyone who doesn't support a 'massive club' as you can guarantee some fans with start going to Salford, FC united of Manchester, Brentford, fulham etc.?

All very well and good, but what do you do if you're a Man City fan? When I started supporting Leicester in around 98, Man City were usually struggling at the bottom of the Premier League and even spent a spell in League One. Okay they're a big club now, but a lot of their fans will come from that era.

We have to act as one group of football fans here.

That's kind of what I was getting at above. Yes, there would be a serious financial correction needed, but then we could all have the game revolve around the game, rather than those clubs that think it revolves around them.

All very well and good, but what do you do if you're a Man City fan? When I started supporting Leicester in around 98, Man City were usually struggling at the bottom of the Premier League and even spent a spell in League One. Okay they're a big club now, but a lot of their fans will come from that era.

Yes, that sort of fan would be the collateral damage. As mentioned I don't think it would be good for football as whole, but wanted to put a counterpoint across.

That's kind of what I was getting at above. Yes, there would be a serious financial correction needed, but then we could all have the game revolve around the game, rather than those clubs that think it revolves around them.
Yes, agreed - sorry I have repeated your point a bit.
I needed to put it in my own words for it to make sense to me but widely they are the same statement.

Yes I said above that I feel sorry for their fans (at least those who are against it, anyway), so I agree.

Yes, agreed - sorry I have repeated your point a bit.
I needed to put it in my own words for it to make sense to me but widely they are the same statement.
No apology needed, that makes a lot of sense. I was stating my opinion, but it's interesting to see it in the form of a discussion point :023:

I thought the concept of the ESL was grotesque, then I learn of the Deloitte Football ****ing Money League! What a disgusting publication.

I agree with both the sentiment and the argument. You would have to define/redefine what you mean by 'fan' though as I would guess that some fans would be for this deal. And perhaps not just American teenagers. My guess is that there are Chelsea and Man U supporters (call them 'plastics' if you like) that rather like the thought of jetting off to Barcelona or Milan for a few days and a football match.

There is a very simple way to kill this. ALL players at these 6 clubs jointly put in a transfer request.

All players at other clubs then refuse any transfer to these as well.

This is about unsustainable amounts of debt, The Glazers borrowed close to a billion pounds and used Utd as collateral, Spurs borrowed to fund their stadium and now have no fans or NFL games to help pay for it, Real Madrid and Barca are poorly runl along with the Italians.
Rather than cut there cloth to suit their means they came up with an answer to create a competition where there's more money for them, the problem being that unless they change their ways they will be back to square one.

They will start paying £100 million pounds for average players and give them £500k weekly salaries, this is where the money will go

I think the rest of football can benefit from them leaving, Football in the 90s and noughties was better than what we get today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566