European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. That's going to take some time for me to process because, tbh, I'm having to read too much into it. Perhaps if he spoke in Spanish and we had it translated??

I paraphrase : 'if a team plays not good 4 or 5 season and is still there - this is not a sport' For my money, that reads like he's opposed to the plans as they stand... but perhaps not if there is promotion/relegation.

Again, it's another perspective that goes to remind us what a complex issue it is.

Amazon have ruled themselves out which is one big player down.

At least that's made it certain it won't happen.

good, let's boycott the TV companies and any sponsor who deals themselves in

Of the six, the most interesting case will be Chelsea.

Their name and pitch is owned separately (Chelsea Pitch Owners) and they have stood up to, and won, against Abramovich before. If Chelsea join the ESL, the CPO could well prevent Chelsea from calling themselves Chelsea and not allow them to play at Stamford Bridge.

That will be a tough sell. Although extremely normal for a US franchise I suppose.

Any know (with any degree of authority ;) ) how player's contracts might play a part in this? Or be impacted?

Does a player's contract stipulate what they must, can or can't play in? Can UEFA effectively render the player, I don't know, 'uninsurable' or something by saying the ESL isn't a sanctioned competition? I know UEFA have made threats against players but I don't know how/if they can back those threats up. Further, can a player refuse to play in the ELS (hypothetically) without being in breach of contract?

I can see this area as being a legal can of worms with players caught in the crossfire, or used as pawns.

I've read it all. More vanilla than Klopp.

I'm going to bet on BR being the next Spurs manager now. It's nailed on.
Vanilla?
Didn’t you read this gem? Sav’s anecdotes have nothing on this

Although more seriously he did at least say his and the clubs aligned with the PL statement. Shame we haven’t seen a club statement yet though.

Any know (with any degree of authority ;) ) how player's contracts might play a part in this? Or be impacted?

Does a player's contract stipulate what they must, can or can't play in? Can UEFA effectively render the player, I don't know, 'uninsurable' or something by saying the ESL isn't a sanctioned competition? I know UEFA have made threats against players but I don't know how/if they can back those threats up. Further, can a player refuse to play in the ELS (hypothetically) without being in breach of contract?

I can see this area as being a legal can of worms with players caught in the crossfire, or used as pawns.

I would imagine that their contracts stipulate that they have to play in any competition they are picked for by their employers

I would imagine that their contracts stipulate that they have to play in any competition they are picked for by their employers

Yes, that was my (perhaps simplistic) take too.

I just wondered how UEFA could back up the threats to ban players at "international level"...

...I wondered by what means they could ban them? Then that got me to thinking about the player's contracts generally. I wondered if there was some UEFA related clause that was standard.

...Does a player's contract stipulate what they must, can or can't play in?...

You could end up with a situation where a player must be licensed to play in a certain competition, ie. the Premier League and the governing body could refuse licenses to people.

Players contracts contain a clause which makes their club side release the player to be able to play for their international side.

If they are banned from international sides by being at a ESL club, they could argue that the club is in breach of their contract and leave for nothing.

Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670