European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players contracts contain a clause which makes their club side release the player to be able to play for their international side.

If they are banned from international sides by being at a ESL club, they could argue that the club is in breach of their contract and leave for nothing.

Maybe.

if they are banned by their countries then they won't be called up will they?

so no breach

Yes, that was my (perhaps simplistic) take too.

I just wondered how UEFA could back up the threats to ban players at "international level"...

...I wondered by what means they could ban them? Then that got me to thinking about the player's contracts generally. I wondered if there was some UEFA related clause that was standard.

Uefa runs the CL and can presumably ban players from it or, more probably, teams

Uefa also runs the European championships

and Fifa, who of course never do things for the money, could ban players from the World Cup in November in Qatar (ffs)

But but but, by what means can a UEFA ban of a player work? Simply saying 'you're not allowed' is toothless, no? Couldn't the nation simply say 'then we're not turning up?' I dunno, it all seems a bit 'Mexican stand-off' if that's what I mean.

Statement from the club:

Leicester City Football Club has joined 13 of its Premier League colleagues in opposition to a European Super League and to reaffirm our commitment to the long-standing and successful structure of domestic football.

Competitive integrity and merit-based achievement are fundamental principles of the sport which, if compromised, will cause irreparable damage to the game, to the clubs whose legitimate aspirations underpin the entire football pyramid and to the communities those clubs serve.

As custodians of our respective clubs, it falls to us to uphold football’s values, the solidarity and unity that protect the future of the sport and to ensure its commercial successes help strengthen its foundations throughout the pyramid and into the grassroots game.

Football clubs exist for their supporters, whose passion and devotion are not simply a response to the game, but a fundamental and indispensable part of it. Their contribution is fed by their right to dream – a right we share a collective responsibility to protect.

Leicester City is wholly supportive of the Premier League’s position in this matter and enormously encouraged by the way football’s supporters, Government and regulators have come together to challenge this threat to the game’s future.

I reckon this proposal is going to fall apart pretty quickly. Not saying it'll never happen but I can't see it just yet.

The Guardian reporting BR as saying (presumably from the earlier press conference)....

We understand now as much as any time that football is moving from sport to business but we must never lose the fact that it is a game for the fans and players. It’s for every supporter. The game is for the supporters and I think there’s been a line drawn in the sand with all of this and it’s been moved across to what looks like a purely business proposal. It looks like [sporting meritocracy] isn’t really taken into the ideas going forward. We see the evolution of the game. Teams that progress and develop [like Leicester]. That’s the beauty of the Premier League. The top six teams’ success is rooted in the other sides in the league. [Leicester’s success] has probably played a part in these developments. Our job was to disrupt the market. I always said ‘what defines the top six?’ Clearly it was money and I tried to disrupt that on the pitch.

Looks like the revolt is really starting to take place.

Chelsea pulling out is literally going to be USA Vs Russia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669