Euros 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's much better than god save the queen and the most popular alternative to it? Seems obvious to me.
Weird choice, it’s not remotely patriotic or even complimentary. I thought the whole point was to edge ourselves to the point of full-blown jingoism, how do we do that taking the piss out of our own country? Or is it just because good tune = better?

Weird choice, it’s not remotely patriotic or even complimentary. I thought the whole point was to edge ourselves to the point of full-blown jingoism, how do we do that taking the piss out of our own country? Or is it just because good tune = better?

We certainly lose to Italy on which tune is a pure choooon like. Should maybe ask them to write us one.

What's your issue with the poem/hymn?

I have no issue with it, I just think it’s odd to suggest it as a national anthem when the lyrics offer zero patriotic sentiment.
It's not chauvinistic but it is definitely patriotic. Most people seem to agree that it would be a good anthem for England based on any poll that's been taken for it and as you admit the tune is far better. It seems like the most logical replacement.

It's not chauvinistic but it is definitely patriotic. Most people seem to agree that it would be a good anthem for England based on any poll that's been taken for it and as you admit the tune is far better. It seems like the most logical replacement.
I don’t know any words to it, so I’d be pretty useless if we went for that. Having said that, my singing is atrocious, so I’d only mime as usual anyway.

I don’t know any words to it, so I’d be pretty useless if we went for that. Having said that, my singing is atrocious, so I’d only mime as usual anyway.

It’s a load of complete pony based on a Blake poem about Jesus visiting Glastonbury FFS

Sung by the Women’s Institute for decades, and then rugger wankers for the past twenty years or so - and that about sums it up

Has **** all to do with the nation or patriotism, apart from the last line

Sooner sing Vindaloo than that pile of utter wank

It’s a load of complete pony based on a Blake poem about Jesus visiting Glastonbury FFS

Sung by the Women’s Institute for decades, and then rugger wankers for the past twenty years or so - and that about sums it up

Has **** all to do with the nation or patriotism, apart from the last line

Sooner sing Vindaloo than that pile of utter wank
It's easy to suggest a funny song like vindaloo but changing it to Jerusalem is actually in the realm of possibility and is clearly better than god save the ****ing queen

It's easy to suggest a funny song like vindaloo but changing it to Jerusalem is actually in the realm of possibility and is clearly better than god save the ****ing queen
Maybe you have something right there.

Rather than in parts, God save our xxxxx Queen (noble and so forth) just replace it with ****ing.

God save our ****ing Queen has a ring about it.

I think any song based on baby Jesus fails to reflect our current society. If its Jingoism you want you can't beat "Land of Hope and Glory". Elgar could always belt out a good tune. He hated the lyrics that had been put to it though. Perhaps they could be revised to remove reference to "God" and "Empire", but reflect a society where 8 out of 11 England Internationals are of 1st or 2nd immigrant descent. How about "Land of the free"?

UEFA has started disciplinary proceedings against England re the laser incident, the booing during the Danish national anthem and the letting off of fireworks by supporters inside the ground.
Is it too late to kick us out and move the final to Portugal?
Fined €30,000. That'll hurt.

What if we play the Italian national anthem instead of God Save the Queen... We could even boo through it. That'll show 'em.

William Blake was taking the piss when he wrote it. Singing it as a national anthem would be embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as sucking off the monarchy or everyone singing slightly out of time of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566