Euros 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know the answers and it’s obviously not going to get eradicated overnight, but if there are people who are the victims of this telling me that they want to do it, who am I to say they shouldn’t?

Indeed. Unfortunately politicians being racist is ignored, media stoke the flames, news channels have constantly invited the likes of Farrage/Yaxley-Lennon on for views.....racism in this country is much more than just bellends on twitter and in the street. As you say, **** knows how we sort that.

Indeed. Unfortunately politicians being racist is ignored, media stoke the flames, news channels have constantly invited the likes of Farrage/Yaxley-Lennon on for views.....racism in this country is much more than just bellends on twitter and in the street. As you say, **** knows how we sort that.
I think taking a knee and reminding people that racism on any level is not okay is a worthwhile and honourable thing to do. It’s not going to stop racism, it’s not going change a racist’s mind but it does remind them that they are in the minority and it’s the mixed race group of lads on the football pitch that truly represent the country.

I ****ing hate this shit stain of a country sometimes.

A load of racist, little minded wankers ruled by a racist dullard ****.

It's easy to see after the fact why I was so underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Patriotism my ****ing arse. There really is less and less to be proud of here.

Was about to post the same thing.

I hate that Englishness.

The entire culture of getting pissed, taking drugs, creating havoc and then believing that it's okay to take out your suppressed anger with abuse and racism.

It's nothing I want to be associated with. And loving football means being associated with it.

I hate that football.

I think taking a knee and reminding people that racism on any level is not okay is a worthwhile and honourable thing to do. It’s not going to stop racism, it’s not going change a racist’s mind but it does remind them that they are in the minority and it’s the mixed race group of lads on the football pitch that truly represent the country.

I agree. But while it's a minority it's definitely a significant one. The PM is a racist, the leader of the opposition writes in the Daily Mail and features regularly on Nick Ferrari's show so unfortunately certain types do have a lot of power.

...grave error having those 3 young men on the last 3 penalties, for many reasons. Not least of which is the weight that puts them under for the rest of their careers. You would expect Southgate of all people to understand that. Shame.
Method in his madness. Now the three of them know what he meant when he asked, "Do you want to be in my gang?".

Forever haunted, they'll be wearing waistcoats before they know it.

While he deserves credit for getting to the Final I think it was Southgate that lost that game. He was so afraid to lose that he was paralyzed and couldn't make the decisions that might have won it.

The players were told to play safe rather than extend the lead or retake it, even the final two Subs, we kept delaying it because he was so afraid of bringing off the defensive players he couldn't give them a chance to go and win it.

Having taken the early lead, and knowing Italy would have to come at us, with an aging defense, a more courageous manager would have seen the opportunity to get at least 1 more goal put the game beyond doubt.

England has the most attacking talent it has ever had right now, but the manager is so afraid of losing he won't let them play to their strengths.

Also it seemed on the television that Southgate was telling them who was taking penalties. Even if this had been discussed before the game, I think he should have asked who felt like taking one in that moment, Maguire was the only one who looked confident before taking his.

I'm not that sure that they are in the minority. Not in terms of being overt racists but I would guess that most people struggle with difference. It's quite normal.

Taking the knee will never work. Forcing everyone to choose a side just divides us even more. Making race an issue on the football pitch makes race an issue when a penalty is missed.

I wish the world was simple and good intentions always worked, but it isn't and they don't.

I'm not that sure that they are in the minority. Not in terms of being overt racists but I would guess that most people struggle with difference. It's quite normal.

Taking the knee will never work. Forcing everyone to choose a side just divides us even more. Making race an issue on the football pitch makes race an issue when a penalty is missed.

I wish the world was simple and good intentions always worked, but it isn't and they don't.
It does seem strange that we are talking about racism at a tournament that pitches race against race in a contest to determine which is best...

I don't follow the England team as I've no 'allegiance' but I understand those English that don't because they don't want to be associated with the (admittedly small number of) dickhead 'fans'. It's a real shame that England as a nation is tarnished by the actions of a few.

Yep, shameful stuff. Bukayo Saka was crap last night but had a great tournament. Regardless, no player deserves and it makes you wander when it happens why it isnt acted on more as this taking a knee shit is clearly not only pointless but actually probably making it worse rather than better...

Very weird, and frankly pretty shitty, view to blame the 'take the knee' peaceful protest for the behaviour of racist idiots.

This isn't the first time I've seen this take today and it makes me sick tbh.

Stop protesting racism because it incites racist idiots is utterly stupid.

I ****ing hate this shit stain of a country sometimes.

A load of racist, little minded wankers ruled by a racist dullard ****.

It's easy to see after the fact why I was so underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Patriotism my ****ing arse. There really is less and less to be proud of here.
We don't always agree, but that's word for word my feelings.

I'm not sure I agree with the logic. That it provides a handy a frame of reference, yes, but race is already an issue, taking the knee or no.

For me, taking the knee is peaceful protest. Whilst it is clunky, and sometimes almost cringefully so (commentators' remarks), and arguably gesture politics, it does nonetheless say something clearly. That it gives racists a rallying cry is unfortunate but perhaps further demonstrates the need for it to be said; racism is unacceptable.

Edit: Graz Graz - our posts crossed (I take ages to compose stuff!) and we are saying much the same thing.

Taking the knee was supposed to bring awareness to racism and try to improve it but unfortunately it's now just adding to the problem, what with people booing it for political reasons as well as racist ones, now some black players won't take the knee as they think it's run its course, the human race is the big problem and unfortunately racism is still an issue

Maybe the objectives need be clarified. Taking the knee was never intended to 'solve' racism. It is, in itself, an innocent gesture. A reminder of the issue. There is no need for it to divide. Yet it does. Would we prefer not to be reminded that racism exists and needs addressing?

Or are we just more aware of it because it’s being raised as an issue. Hasn’t this stuff always gone on, but it wasn’t getting the publicity that it is now, because of the efforts that are being made?

I don’t know the answers and it’s obviously not going to get eradicated overnight, but if there are people who are the victims of this telling me that they want to do it, who am I to say they shouldn’t?
Yep it's a good point. If it comes from the players then it will carry on as their choice., I'm just surprised there haven't been more black players like Wilfred Zaha who have become disillusioned with it. There has hardly been any tangible benefit to it in terms of action in a year and a half of taking the knee. Making a statement and raising awareness is clearly not doing a great deal.

While he deserves credit for getting to the Final I think it was Southgate that lost that game. He was so afraid to lose that he was paralyzed and couldn't make the decisions that might have won it.

The players were told to play safe rather than extend the lead or retake it, even the final two Subs, we kept delaying it because he was so afraid of bringing off the defensive players he couldn't give them a chance to go and win it.

Having taken the early lead, and knowing Italy would have to come at us, with an aging defense, a more courageous manager would have seen the opportunity to get at least 1 more goal put the game beyond doubt.

England has the most attacking talent it has ever had right now, but the manager is so afraid of losing he won't let them play to their strengths.

Also it seemed on the television that Southgate was telling them who was taking penalties. Even if this had been discussed before the game, I think he should have asked who felt like taking one in that moment, Maguire was the only one who looked confident before taking his.
Absolutely spot on. 100% accurate. Saved me having to write pretty much the same thing. Also, Harry Kane was ineffective the whole game and Mount might as well not have been there. Mancini made very effective use of all his substitutes while Southgate didn't. There was no point in hanging on hoping things would change on their own without him actually making any meaningful changes.

He has said he didn't know how to cope with their false 9 in the second half.

A lost opportunity.

I'd love to know what game people were watching when they say Harry Kane was crap. He was ****ing brilliant and basically the source of everything good about us in the first half with his hold up and link up play. Second half Italy changed tac as they were getting hammered and he became a passenger after that...

For me there was hardly anything between the teams, defensively we were solid all game but a bit negative in our approach from the second half onward. The last three penalties were very poorly taken and were the deciding factor, particularly the Rashford one, which was where the momentum swung in their favour....

How good is Donarumma though. He's an imposing figure in the net before the kick is even taken. I didn't fancy our chances against him and I wouldn't have against Kasper had Denmark taken us all the way either...

I'd love to know what game people were watching when they say Harry Kane was crap. He was ****ing brilliant and basically the source of everything good about us in the first half with his hold up and link up play. Second half Italy changed tac as they were getting hammered and he became a passenger after that...

For me there was hardly anything between the teams, defensively we were solid all game but a bit negative in our approach from the second half onward. The last three penalties were very poorly taken and were the deciding factor, particularly the Rashford one, which was where the momentum swung in their favour....

How good is Donarumma though. He's an imposing figure in the net before the kick is even taken. I didn't fancy our chances against him and I wouldn't have against Kasper had Denmark taken us all the way either...
I have to agree, Kane was brilliant first half, his control, vision and link up play was unbelievable. He found space between their midfield and defensive line and exploited it expertly.

As you say second half he was nullified, but overall he was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669