Post Match FA Cup Replay: Leicester 1 Huddersfield 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that mid-table premier teams generally field weakened sides and don't care if they lose cup matches so that they can concentrate on survival and safety from relegation.

Sadly, it is not just escaping relegation; with the Premier League prize money, it is more lucrative to finish a couple of places higher up the table, than to win a domestic cup.

Except that mid-table premier teams generally field weakened sides and don't care if they lose cup matches so that they can concentrate on survival and safety from relegation.

Really? FA Cup Final lineups since 1992:

1992–93 Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday
1993–94 Manchester United v Chelsea
1994–95 Everton v Manchester United
1995–96 Manchester United v Liverpool
1996–97 Chelsea v Middlesbrough
1997–98 Arsenal v Newcastle United
1998–99 Manchester United v Newcastle United
1999–2000 Chelsea v Aston Villa
2000–01 Liverpool v Arsenal
2001–02 Arsenal v Chelsea
2002–03 Arsenal v Southampton
2003–04 Manchester United v Millwall
2004–05 Arsenal v Manchester United
2005–06 Liverpool v West Ham United
2006–07 Chelsea v Manchester United
2007–08 Portsmouth v Cardiff City
2008–09 Chelsea v Everton
2009–10 Chelsea v Portsmouth
2010–11 Manchester City v Stoke City
2011–12 Chelsea v Liverpool

So what, that leaves M17TT C and the Hull troll?

Great.

It's like being asked to chose between the fat kid and the ginger nasal kid in PE.

Are you suggesting it was a choice between the three biggest mongs on the forum?

So what, that leaves M17TT C and the Hull troll?

Great.

It's like being asked to chose between the fat kid and the ginger nasal kid in PE.

Well I'm fat and ginger so probably best to go with the Hull troll. :023:

Sadly, it is not just escaping relegation; with the Premier League prize money, it is more lucrative to finish a couple of places higher up the table, than to win a domestic cup.

You are exactly right - winning either of the two cup competitions is not enough to mean a decent season for a top club they are just about worth mopping up to give their fans a bit of a cup final day out and pick up a few quid - which wouldn't be enough to buy and pay for a top player.

As for LCFC the only thing that matters is getting into the Premier League. It means possible financial salvation in terms of Sky etc monies and that financial prize is something that Leicester could never achieve as even a winning side in the Championship. This is in marked contrast to the situation of many years ago when you and I OF will recall that the folklore around Leicester was that LCFC directors would prefer a winning team in the Second Division to a losing side in the First Division.

The fact that some of the fans don't like the idea of never being able to win much in the Premier League is completely irrelevant. The relatively small amount of receipts contributed by these doesn'f feature one way or the other.

The best available possible outcome is that the club presents top level football by the best in the land and that we hang on in there and use the resources to build up the squad. If we have a long cup run then fair enough - but the reality is that such runs are a drain on plaaying resources and can harm a club's health which hasn't got much depth in its squad. As it happens we have more or less no depth in quality and little in numbers.

As for LCFC the only thing that matters is getting into the Premier League. It means possible financial salvation in terms of Sky etc monies

But it won't mean financial salvation for City any more than it does for any other club in the Premier League. We, like them, will just have a bigger income to go towards servicing a bigger debt.

I don't know. Arsenal and Liverpool have gotten to a few cup finals recently.

But it won't mean financial salvation for City any more than it does for any other club in the Premier League. We, like them, will just have a bigger income to go towards servicing a bigger debt.

Probably but that's what salvation tends to mean these days. FIFA UEFA, the Football League will try to break the cycle of programmed over spend - but I don't think that will work - do you? It's sort of like trying to stop tax avoidance. The rich and powerful will find a way round it.

Anyway I couldn't care less how they fund it as long as in my latter years Leicester City are playing the top teams. The fare in the Championship is poor stuff indeed. On the occasions when i turn up I'm usually bored before half time and looking forward to a hot drink and one of the caterers' culinary delights.

Probably but that's what salvation tends to mean these days. FIFA UEFA, the Football League will try to break the cycle of programmed over spend - but I don't think that will work - do you? It's sort of like trying to stop tax avoidance. The rich and powerful will find a way round it.

Anyway I couldn't care less how they fund it as long as in my latter years Leicester City are playing the top teams. The fare in the Championship is poor stuff indeed. On the occasions when i turn up I'm usually bored before half time and looking forward to a hot drink and one of the caterers' culinary delights.

It seems to me that the rich and powerful won't have to find a way around it; the new rules could not have been better designed to give them a further advantage. They already have greater incomes and they will be able to continue to afford to splash money out on enhanced wages and transfer fees whilst smaller clubs will have their spending constricted and will not be able to retain their best players who are enticed by the greater rewards available at those bigger clubs. The new rules change very little; they are only designed to keep spending in check in the hope that fewer clubs will find themselves in financial difficulties and will do nothing to 'even things up'.

I'm not too far behind you in terms of approaching/being in my latter years and I don't think it is a secret that I too have become bored with the game. It's not though that I have any objection to Championship football; for me it's the sanitisation of the grounds, the unrealistic attitudes of too many fans and the lack of loyalty that is shown (in both directions) between players (and managers) and their clubs that is keeping me away.

I suppose that makes you luckier than me; your ambition to see City once again in the top league seems achievable whilst the things that I am missing in the game are gone forever.

If I were the owners I'd be fuming, what an opportunity missed. I don't understand playing players that struggle to even make the bench in a league game when a place in the quarter finals is there for the taking. I know everyone will say we're better off for not going through, b*ll*x to that! Win the game progress through, take the extra £ from TV etc, and regardless of what people may say, Wigan at home is a very winnable game.

Also, not sure if any truth in it, but i've heard that Pearson has had a bust up with Chris Wood and that's why he didn't play, nothing to do with injury.

Last edited:
...not sure if any truth in it, but i've heard that Pearson has had a bust up with Chris Wood and that's why he didn't play, nothing to do with injury.

And Chris Wood has already said that there is no truth in what you have heard.

If I were the owners I'd be fuming, what an opportunity missed. I don't understand playing players that struggle to even make the bench in a league game when a place in the quarter finals is there for the taking. I know everyone will say we're better off for not going through, b*ll*x to that! Win the game progress through, take the extra £ from TV etc, and regardless of what people may say, Wigan at home is a very winnable game.

Also, not sure if any truth in it, but i've heard that Pearson has had a bust up with Chris Wood and that's why he didn't play, nothing to do with injury.
One hundred per cent agreement with the first part. Total disagreement with the last part.

i've heard that Pearson has had a bust up with Chris Wood and that's why he didn't play, nothing to do with injury.

Whodja hear it from? Sounds interesting and very believable. Have you got the skinny on any other inside news? Ignore these other poo-pooers, they don't appreciate a real "in the know" person like I do. Look forward to more details, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566