Pre Match FA Cup Stoke v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpjfox

It would be nice to get through this game (and with a best 11 im sure we would stand a chance), however we find ourselves in a great position in the League and that must take priority. This is going to be a squad shuffling exercise and if we do play any of our best 11 i pray they dont get injured or red carded. IMO this is a game to rest Kasper, Morgan and a few more, to be honest i just want this game over and done with so we can concentrate on ending Derbys auto promotion hopes. The result of this game is less important than getting thro it unscathed. The morale within the squad seems good we could actually win this im going for a 1-2 win GTF Waggy

Last edited:
NP has more than hinted that there will be changes.
Be a chance to see how much faith he does have in Conrad.

If I were NP yesterday, I'd have told Morgan, Konchesky, Drinkwater, Dyer, Knockaert and Nugent to disappear and rest and return to training next Thursday.

Schmeichel doesn't need a rest and playing Logan is unnecessarily potty.

For this one, I'd go something like;

Schmeichel
De Laet Moore Wasyl Miguel
Hammond King James
Taylor-Fletcher
Vardy Schlupp

Last edited:
A sad reflection of the modern game that we may take the opportunity to rest our best players for this game.

I have to say though that I support the resting of our best players for this one.

I love the FA cup. It would be a dream to see us win it in my lifetime.

That said it really isn't a priority. Get through a few rounds then take it seriously.

Didn't everyone moan when we rested half the team for Huddersfield last season because we "lost momentum"? Yet now it's appropriate to? I mean I'm all for resting and that's why we have a squad, but how can the mood change so much from last season?

Last edited:
It's funny with the cup.

In a way id rather see us win an fa cup than get promoted, but at the same time think we should rest everyone in this game.

I think you bank on a couple of soft draws in the early rounds and if you get lucky you start to take it seriously. But Stoke away is about as shit an early draw as one could hope for.

Last edited:
It's funny with the cup.

In a way id rather see us win an fa cup than get promoted, but at the same time think we should rest everyone in this game.

I think you bank on a couple of soft draws in the early rounds and if you get lucky you start to take it seriously. But Stoke away is about as shit an early draw as one could hope for.

Agreed.

It's just that one is looking a hell of a lot more likely than the other at the moment. So it makes sense to rest those that need a rest, and just see what happens. We have enough depth to put out a reasonable team, and the expectations are different given we're away to a PL team anyway.

I'm not in favour of resting players for this one. There are six days between this one and Derby next Friday. That should be plenty of recovery time. If I remember correctly resting players in the cup last year was no helping hand for the league campaign. If this was a cup replay in the middle of two league games the surrounding weekends I'd be more sympathetic.

I'm not in favour of resting players for this one. There are six days between this one and Derby next Friday. That should be plenty of recovery time. If I remember correctly resting players in the cup last year was no helping hand for the league campaign. If this was a cup replay in the middle of two league games the surrounding weekends I'd be more sympathetic.
It's not just resting, it's also removing the risk of injury.

It's not just resting, it's also removing the risk of injury.

Stop any competitive training as well then?

how often do we suffer lengthy injuries through games?

I think we should play as strong a side as we can. As has been said, you can pick up injuries during training. The Huddersfield cup game proved to be a mistake playing a weakened side but we were expected to win that game and also we have better strength in depth now than we did then. It will be a good test to see how we might fair against the kind of sides we will probably need to be able to beat if we do get promoted. I'm not sure losing to a Premier League side in the cup is going to derail our season exactly but it would still be nice to go in to the game looking to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566