Pre Match FA Cup Stoke v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup they all tackle as hard as Charlie Adam in training. Even you can see the difference.

It was a serious point.

The majority of injuries we seem to suffer are off the field, cant' remember the last serious injury we suffered in a game.

It was a serious point.

The majority of injuries we seem to suffer are off the field, cant' remember the last serious injury we suffered in a game.

Well there's the kiss of death.

It was a serious point.

Really? I'd say far more of our injuries come from players picking them up in games than in training.

As others have said, I want to see us progress in the cup and it disappoints me that we'll rest players... but it makes sense to!

Will be interesting having made 5 changes yesterday though how many and who Nigel rests for the weekend.

I'd definitely rest Morgan, Nugent and Dyer. Important players that have had to do a lot.

Maybe something like:

Kasper
RDL, Moore, Wasi, Miquel
Knocky, Hammond, James, King, Schlupp
Waghorn (or Vardy)

Didn't everyone moan when we rested half the team for Huddersfield last season because we "lost momentum"? Yet now it's appropriate to? I mean I'm all for resting and that's why we have a squad, but how can the mood change so much from last season?

Think the majority of those complaints came afterwards though...

Schmeichel
De Laet Was Miquel Konch
Hammond James
King
GTF Nugent Schlupp

A competitive away side with knockers, Dyer, Waghorn, Vardy Moore and Drink water on the bench if needs be...we need was, Miquel, king, Schlupp and gtf match fit enough to contribute. Morgan should be in the stands in cotton wool....

I think I'd be more inclined to rest/protect Kasper. The thought of having to have Logan in goal for a run of league games does not fill me with confidence.

Didn't everyone moan when we rested half the team for Huddersfield last season because we "lost momentum"? Yet now it's appropriate to? I mean I'm all for resting and that's why we have a squad, but how can the mood change so much from last season?

The circumstances are different though. Our team is very settled at the moment, they've had a tough spell of fixtures and many of the players look utterly exhausted. We are also more reliant on a handful of key players this time round.

As a general principle, when it is right to make changes, I advocate wholesale change as opposed to two or three. That was the mistake we made last year against Huddersfield. We didn't change the team enough and it upset those left out and those left in. All of a sudden, nobody knew who was first choice and who wasn't and everything got messy. If you make it clear that you're just changing the team around because you need to rest players, everyone knows where they stand. Those coming in can nudge themselves closer to the side, those out know why and that it's temporary.

The changes against Millwall were about spot on. NP inferred that he's less committed to the Cup than the league so to expect anything other than wholesale change is odd. I expect Stoke to make major changes too. Sadly, the FA Cup isn't what it once was. Unless the FA dramatically decide to increase the reward for winning it in terms of a Champions League place or huge financial rewards, it will inexorably deteriorate as a competition. See Paul Lambert's quote yesterday as an example. Truth told, tomorrow's game is nothing more than an inconvenience for us and most other sides with something much more serious to play for.

Kozak - Broken leg in training this week I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566