Favourite Leicester match..

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Sir Gary of Leicester going mental in the radio studio when the late, late equaliser went in, lovely stuff

A tough first season in the Prem had one of the most memorable comebacks ever. It has to be up there just like the win against Spurs as a gem in the rough that was the 94-95 season.

From the Carling site spot the factual errors

ASTON VILLA vs LEICESTER CITY - 22nd February 1995

Remember this thriller at the Villa? Nope, neither did we. But after digging deep in the archives, we thought we'd restore the memory of this pulsating Midlands derby. It had all gone wrong for Villa - two years earlier they were battling with Manchester United for the league title but Ron Atkinson was now struggling to keep his ageing side in the top flight. Newly-promoted Leicester were themselves battling to maintain their Premier League status - Mark McGhee had recently been appointed after their dismal start to the campaign under Brian Little. After an hour at Villa Park, the home side were romping to victory thanks to strikes from Dean Saunders, Steve Staunton and Dwight Yorke. The Foxes bit back through Mark Robins but before they could digest, red-haired Tommy Johnson had restored Villa's three-goal cushion and victory looked assured. However, McGhee's side came storming back in the final 12 minutes through Iwan Roberts and a David Lowe brace - the equaliser arriving in stoppage time. Leicester failed to show similar character throughout the rest of the season and went down, 20 points adrift of Villa who finished just above the relegation zone

Re: Favorite Leicester match..

- 4-4 Watford at home sometime in the mid 90s.

Ormondroyd equaliser in the last minute - it was Boxing day I believe.

My favourite was the Palace final - we were sooo good that day.
Also loved Stoke away in play off semi the same season.

A couple of games that seem to have gone under the radar:-
Bristol Rovers 0 -0, meant we went up instead of Fulham but had to wait to celebrate because of a pitch invasion in their game with sheep shaggers. 1983
Oxford United 1 - 0 win, Tony James, stopped us from dropping where we'd never been before, (but have since :() 1990/1

I'd like to give a mention to the home game against Liverpool, we beat them 2 - 0 thanks to two brilliant strikes from "It's not God, it's only Andy Peake", went onto do the double over Liverpool that season. First time any team had done that to them for years. 1980/81.

A couple of games that seem to have gone under the radar:-
Bristol Rovers 0 -0, meant we went up instead of Fulham but had to wait to celebrate because of a pitch invasion in their game with sheep shaggers. 1983
Oxford United 1 - 0 win, Tony James, stopped us from dropping where we'd never been before, (but have since :() 1990/1

I'd like to give a mention to the home game against Liverpool, we beat them 2 - 0 thanks to two brilliant strikes from "It's not God, it's only Andy Peake", went onto do the double over Liverpool that season. First time any team had done that to them for years. 1980/81.

i think you will find this was Burnley

My dad talks about the 82/83 season as being one of his favourites because Leicester seemed to get promotion from nowhere. Dound this video the other week, a 5-0 demolition of Wolves from that season. :icon_cool

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad talks about the 82/83 season as being one of his favourites because Leicester seemed to get promotion from nowhere. Dound this video the other week, a 5-0 demolition of Wolves from that season. :icon_cool

I'm in agreement with your Dad. One of my favourite seasons.
The good old days, Boxes in the Filbert Street end defined as luxury!! :)

Re: Favorite Leicester match..

That's the one.

I actually remember the highlights show too (sad i know) - Jimmy Greaves said it was the best game he had ever seen in that division.:icon_razz

Last edited:
Ah, all this talk has got me going through old Leicester videos on youtube.

Gary Mac's pass at 0:33 here is fantastic! He somehow manages to chip it over 2 players and the referee and get the ball to drop back down again perfectly to Kevin Campbell's feet in the space of only about 15 yards and all while on the turn and not even looking where he's passing to. He looks composed as **** on the ball. :icon_cool

I remember this one very well, particularly the hapless wolves defender Palmer who i seem to remember was tormented all afternoon by Steve Lynex

One of my favourite games was a night match against Liverpool, mid eighties, 3-3, might have been a cup game. For some reason me and a mate couldn't get in the home stands and squeezed into the away end at the back. Had to keep quiet of course but quite a good night.

For me my most memorable match was the Play Off final v Swindon.

I just remember both teams doing a lap of honour at the end and getting a standing ovation from everyone. Such a same to lose but no-one was too downhearted on the way back because it was such an achievement to get to Wembley.

Favourite matches I've been too were the 5-1 play off win v Cambridge (does anyone remember the away leg - you had to cross a stile and walk through a field to get to the away end).

And of course the Play off wins v Derby and Crystal Palace.

Favourite match that I didn't go to was in 1998 when I was in the USA for a couple of weeks. I found a library that had internet access (quite a new thing back then) and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw we'd beaten Derby 4-0 away!

My most diappointing match was the League Cup Final replay v Middlesborough - My seats were in the top corner of one of their stands, next to the sheet metal, and with a roof that sloped down so you could see the pitch but nor much else of the rest of the ground. There would have been more atmosphere watching on TV.

Last edited:
For me my most memorable match was the Play Off final v Swindon.

I just remember both teams doing a lap of honour at the end and getting a standing ovation from everyone. Such a same to lose but no-one was too downhearted on the way back because it was such an achievement to get to Wembley.

Favourite matches I've been too were the 5-1 play off win v Cambridge
(does anyone remember the away leg - you had to cross a stile and walk through a field to get to the away end).

And of course the Play off wins v Derby and Crystal Palace.

Favourite match that I didn't go to was in 1998 when I was in the USA for a couple of weeks. I found a library that had internet access (quite a new thing back then) and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw we'd beaten Derby 4-0 away!

My most diappointing match was the League Cup Final replay v Middlesborough - My seats were in the top corner of one of their stands, next to the sheet metal, and with a roof that sloped down so you could see the pitch but nor much else of the rest of the ground. There would have been more atmosphere watching on TV.

Another who doesn't remember the score!

My most diappointing match was the League Cup Final replay v Middlesborough

You mean the match we won to lift the League Cup for the first time in 33 years and thus get into Europe was your most diappointing (sic)?

:icon_roll

I have lots of memorable matches in my head and these two have to be there with the best

The thrashing we gave you at the City Ground was quite good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673