FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the authorities will apparently be on their most lenient, least executey behaviour this next month but I’ve got no idea why anyone would want to go to this.

Beyond journalists, broadcasters and influencer types, what is in it for people? How do you relax? How do you justify the cost? How do you cope with the knowledge that you’re simply a pawn in a geopolitical dick swinging contest?

No, but you certainly could get the wurstcurry.
Legal precedent in Qatar sets slagging off a curry at three years in solitary confinement with daily floggings.

I know the authorities will apparently be on their most lenient, least executey behaviour this next month but I’ve got no idea why anyone would want to go to this.

Beyond journalists, broadcasters and influencer types, what is in it for people? How do you relax? How do you justify the cost? How do you cope with the knowledge that you’re simply a pawn in a geopolitical dick swinging contest?
Perhaps if journalists, broadcasters and influencer types had not gone the whole ****ing shebang would have got the attention it deserves.

Perhaps if journalists, broadcasters and influencer types had not gone the whole ****ing shebang would have got the attention it deserves.
Yep. Lost a bit of respect for Gary Lineker over this to be honest.

Depends if starts every broadcast with "Welcome to the World Cup nobody wanted, paid for with bribery and blood"
While Micah Richards sits there laughing like a lobotomised child.

Lineker has come with this line of ‘I’m reporting it, not supporting it’ but that’s the whole point of soft power and sportswashing; Visibility.

They’re doing this so westerners hear the name Qatar and associate it with something nice like football. So if they ever come under threat from a neighbouring Emirate we look upon their cause favourably.

Lineker gives it the big one as the sort of hip centrist dad of football, but he’s richer than Croesus, I’m sure he could’ve passed on a month of work and boycotting it would have done far more damage to Qatar’s reputation than mentioning their human rights abuses to people who have already sat down to watch the football.

While Micah Richards sits there laughing like a lobotomised child.

Lineker has come with this line of ‘I’m reporting it, not supporting it’ but that’s the whole point of soft power and sportswashing; Visibility.

They’re doing this so westerners hear the name Qatar and associate it with something nice like football. So if they ever come under threat from a neighbouring Emirate we look upon their cause favourably.

Lineker gives it the big one as the sort of hip centrist dad of football, but he’s richer than Croesus, I’m sure he could’ve passed on a month of work and boycotting it would have done far more damage to Qatar’s reputation than mentioning their human rights abuses to people who have already sat down to watch the football.

Bang on.

I don't blame players for going. It's such a short career that it's unfair to deny them something that may only happen once.

It's the machine of professionals that go with it that turns my stomach. Journalists, TV, officials, etc. They're the blood sucking creeps.

I couldn't disagree more with the hypocrisy of going with the intention of calling out things of concern. It's the most pathetic excuse. Lineker, Neville and many others can get in the dustbin with Southgate.

Supporters travelling are daft ****ers but I wouldn't criticise them for it. Likewise people that just watch the games on TV. I won't be but it's fair enough if you want to.

And they will be living a nice life of luxury whilst over there not 'supporting' it

Hypocrites

And they will be living a nice life of luxury whilst over there not 'supporting' it

Hypocrites
And that’s not to say proper journalists shouldn’t go, I’ve got massive respect for people who put themselves in dangerous or difficult positions in the name of journalism.

Whichever way Football broadcasters like Lineker or Neville want to spin it, they’re on the inside of the tent pissing out.

Shits about to get real for the fans. Qatari big boys have changed their minds about having booze (well, Budweiser) at the tournament. FIFA will have to break a massive contract with the supplier presumably and all they’ll be serving is 0% Bud for £7 a bottle :043:

Shits about to get real for the fans. Qatari big boys have changed their minds about having booze (well, Budweiser) at the tournament. FIFA will have to break a massive contract with the supplier presumably and all they’ll be serving is 0% Bud for £7 a bottle :043:
0% bud is absolute pisswasser. Isn't it called something rubbish like "prohitibion brew" as well?

I do quite like the standard stuff.

For a variety of reasons, the best thing that can happen is England being dumped out of the competition as early as possible - Wales too

No one here will give two ****s about it after that, and ****s like Lineker and Neville can then go **** themselves

For a variety of reasons, the best thing that can happen is England being dumped out of the competition as early as possible - Wales too

No one here will give two ****s about it after that, and ****s like Lineker and Neville can then go **** themselves
It's a pity England and Wales couldn't both lose when they play each other

I might tune in after the final to see them have to announce with straight faces that Qatar are world champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669