First game

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like i'm the great grand daddy, I don't remember the exact date, but early/middle fifties, against Stoke, crowd about 45,000, yes in filbert street, kids like me then were carried to the front to sit on the blaise. Don't remember the score, but I was hooked. Been through some ups and downs since then, this is just another chapter. Hope Kelly gets the job.

Scotfox said:
looks like i'm the great grand daddy, I don't remember the exact date, but early/middle fifties, against Stoke, crowd about 45,000, yes in filbert street, kids like me then were carried to the front to sit on the blaise. Don't remember the score, but I was hooked. Been through some ups and downs since then, this is just another chapter. Hope Kelly gets the job.

Sorry to say that I doubt if it was 45,000. The maximum capacity was 42,000 from the end of the second war onwards and an attendance figure of over 42,000 has only been posted 3 times since then - none of them against Stoke. Figures for Stoke games in that period were in the 20,000s.

But yes, you appear to be the great-grandaddy!

bocadillo said:
Sorry to say that I doubt if it was 45,000. The maximum capacity was 42,000 from the end of the second war onwards and an attendance figure of over 42,000 has only been posted 3 times since then - none of them against Stoke. Figures for Stoke games in that period were in the 20,000s.

But yes, you appear to be the great-grandaddy!

Biggest crowd I was in was touching 40,000 a night match against Arsenal, think it was 1974, FA cup replay, drew at Highbury, drew at Filbert Street 1-1 AET, they then flipped a coin to see who would have home advantage, we won the toss but lost the fecking game 0-1 Radford goal... I am pretty sure both the games at Filbert St was high 30,000, am sure the last game was 40,000 though. Might be wrong. Fely like 100,000 in middle of Kop

Mine was April 1971 vs. Charlton, City own 1-0 Paul Went og.
My Dad took me down from Cleethorpes, the tickets were for the main stand and we got them for nothing as the lady who lived next door to us was Keith Peacocks Aunt and she arranged to get them for us. He used to send me all the programmes he got free at the Charlton home games and for some reason their away games at Millwall.

Boy Genius said:
Biggest crowd I was in was touching 40,000 a night match against Arsenal, think it was 1974, FA cup replay, drew at Highbury, drew at Filbert Street 1-1 AET, they then flipped a coin to see who would have home advantage, we won the toss but lost the fecking game 0-1 Radford goal... I am pretty sure both the games at Filbert St was high 30,000, am sure the last game was 40,000 though. Might be wrong. Fely like 100,000 in middle of Kop

The big book says 35,000 and 39,000 for the two matches; particularly in the case of the second one, there hardly seemed room to breathe.

I was living down in London at the time and travelled up to Leicester on the special trains for Arsenal fans. There were quite a few City fans who had found their way onto there and for the return journey of the first match and both journeys of the second match, we were put in soem compartments on the opposite side of the coppers from the Arsenal fans. When we got to St Pancras we were given about two minutes start before they let the Arsenal fans off.

The first i can remember although im sure i went to games before this was City vs Tranmere. We won 1-0 with Kevin 'Rooster' Russell getting a goal in injury time at the end!

bocadillo said:
The big book says 35,000 and 39,000 for the two matches; particularly in the case of the second one, there hardly seemed room to breathe.

I was living down in London at the time and travelled up to Leicester on the special trains for Arsenal fans. There were quite a few City fans who had found their way onto there and for the return journey of the first match and both journeys of the second match, we were put in soem compartments on the opposite side of the coppers from the Arsenal fans. When we got to St Pancras we were given about two minutes start before they let the Arsenal fans off.

I would have sworn there was a tadge over 40,000....but if the book say so...:icon_roll
The second game KO was held up for a while to get everybody in. Dont think I had a piss that game.....:icon_bigg

Boxing day match versus liverpool, 1994 i think? Thompson missed a penalty, think roberts scored for us and fowler got 2 for them, he was quite young at the time.

away to arsenal 1971.fa cup replay.rodney fern scored first but disallowed. charlie george scored for arsenal and they went on to do the double that year.57,000 odd in highbury.

drummindefender said:
why the fook did we play on the day after boxing day :icon_conf

It's not unusual to play on the 27th.

In this case the 25th and 26th were Saturday and Sunday..

Perhaps the Tigers played their normal game against the Barbarians on the 26th.

It took many years to bully my mother into letting me go (she always said that football matches were not places for girls). My first game was on New Years Day 1991 against WBA. We were a goal down at half-time, but Walsh and James scored to give us the victory. It was one of Pleat's last games in charge, if I remember correctly.

I can't remember my actual first match as it was in the late 50s. The first one I do remember was City 6 Man U 0 and the headline in the Sports Mercury was " Busby Babes Spanked ". Can anyone tell me which year that was?.

frankw said:
I can't remember my actual first match as it was in the late 50s. The first one I do remember was City 6 Man U 0 and the headline in the Sports Mercury was " Busby Babes Spanked ". Can anyone tell me which year that was?.

Here you are mate:

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=40996

English Division 1 (old)
Leicester 6 (0) - 0 (0) Man Utd

on 21-01-1961

0-0 at half time as well - that's a cracking second half! HAHAHA!

Last edited:
frankw said:

English Division 1 (old)
Leicester 6 (0) - 0 (0) Man Utd

on 21-01-1961

Early 60's and post Busby babes. ;) :)

well.. i think i might be the latest debutant then.....

home game at filbo against wimbledon. late nineties possibly even later.

not sure how old i was but my dad took me and my 3 younger brothers to the game because the tickets had been reduced to get rid of un-sold away fans allocation. finished 1-1 i think and it was on sky. sat in the away stand closest to the kop. i think my dad was really pleased about being able to take us all together as it's something he wouldn't usually have been able to afford.

it was a few years after that for my second, took my second-youngest brother to FNF and he won tickets to see the everton match. my dad let me take him. it finished 2-2 and i think akinbiyi scored. the club was quite thoughtless though, the tickets were for seats on the very back row of the top teir in the south stand, fancy giving them to kids! only saw half the game and my bro was quite upset about it.

first season of visiting regularly was the promotion season under micky adams. since then (until this year) i've been to about 2 thirds of the home games at the walkers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670