Football thugs aka wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

enderby fox

I've come into contact with a few of the baby squad down my local over the last few years. I don't understand why they do it and have asked them before why and they just say it's the buzz of fighting and protecting the name and reputation.

I'll admit they are handy people to know in case anything ever happens around our area but i'm not condoning anything they do.

I reember having to hide in a garden for an hour after going to watch leicester in the play off's v Portsmouth back in 1992. Never been so scared in my life. I was only 7 or 8 and they were just hitting anyone they thought were city fans including women and kids. a person i know no as a member of the squad, ushered us back to our car eventually. Was so grateful that when i met him in my pub a few years later i bought him a drink.

As said before i'm not condoning anything they do and i entirely agree that they should be locked up. Football is supposed to be a game of fun for everyone concerned. i hate to say it but we should take leafs out of the egg chasers book. scrap hard on the pitch but anything off it should be enjoyed together but it will never happen.

Hazzman

Then when is it far less common with Rugby/Cricket/Basketball/NFL fans groups?

Rugby and Cricket is much more class driven. Rugby fans in defeat are the most bitter you can come across yet class stops it going to fistcuffs.

Cricket generally the agegroups are older too and I have known trouble at Warwickshite-Leics games before. :icon_roll

Basketball is a American sport - with a country so wide and vast their society hasn't developed the gang and local tradition which exists in the UK.

However, Basketball in Eastern Europe during the winter is the number 1 sport and I can assure that the violence during local derbies in Serbia, Poland et al are fierce as anything outside a football ground in those countries. In Europe, a lot of teams are 'sports clubs' who have a team for every sport. You follow the football team - you follow the hockey, the handball, the basketball, the volleyball team.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oyLtXCzvI5A
Look there for an example and there's loads of examples on YouTube.
NFL - Again the American thing but I understand Friday night college matches get rather tasty considering their inner-state competitions. College Football averages more fans than NFL - they actually get travelling support.

Hazzman

Are you saying rugby league is a middle class sport?

Hooliganism happens in rugby league, but nowhere near as much as football.

Apologies the direction was in Rugby Union. Rugger League has seen acts of hooliganism anyways which again proves the case that it's a tribal working class thing rather just a football thing.

homer

Apologies the direction was in Rugby Union. Rugger League has seen acts of hooliganism anyways which again proves the case that it's a tribal working class thing rather just a football thing.

Use that terminology to a Rugby League fan and you will definitely get twatted

Deservedly so, as well.........

Disco Bob

hopefully more intelligent than the usual stewards, especially stewards who tell me to stop cheering on my team, oh, and to stop swearing infront of kids....even when said kids were swearing like roy chubby brown, a lot more than me
Chubby Brown is a City fan?

Christ! That makes me so angry I could get involved in a pre-arranged fight with a bunch of lobotomised, repressed arseholes.

FIF

you quote two FOOTBALL teams there FIF, can you tell me of any other "tribes" you ran away from that were not connected to football. Seems to be football connected every time.

You seemed to do a lot of running away though.

Well if you insist. I was in a Parisien suburb last spring and I ran away from a group of French hoodies (well not actually ran as I'm older now - but I turned around and headed in a direction which was not exactly where I wanted to go).

I run away when it is wise to run away, as you know in the football hooligan heyday, fights were every week, If I thought it safe to continue walking I did but often my brain decided to take control over my macho ego.

Anyway back to your question their are many more tribal groups in certain communities in all countries than there are linked to football. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't go into some areas of ethnically diverse and tolerant Leicester at certain times of the day let alone some no-go areas in other cities. In Europe there are many no-go areas and even more so in big American cities.

Beights I think that Hazz answered your question pretty well. Rugby Union is traditionally better off people - there are better off thugs but they are far from the majority, Cricket again is a different demographic. Not too many thugs at the old ladies knitting circle either.

alex

Yawn yawn, the old 'would you run' argument, or 'would you stand and fight...'

Hangover from the days of William Wallace and prior to that. Back when we could only grunt we would fight over our space and tribe. Nothing has changed and nor will it. Football has become the approved carrier of this neanderthal pursuit - and I am sorry for anyone bar the neanderthals themselves who ever get to witness their extravagance.

However, Derby scum should get a slapping. Fact. :001:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670