Forum Upgrade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck is "click here to publicly +1 this" at the top of each thread?

Frankly I don't want to click on it, who knows what it might do.

Or am I being completely stupid and not "with it"?

What the heck is "click here to publicly +1 this" at the top of each thread?

Frankly I don't want to click on it, who knows what it might do.

Or am I being completely stupid and not "with it"?

I am still looking for the -1 button. :icon_roll

Mercury RSS feed obviously changed with their site relaunch. Not getting through on right hand side of forum.

Thanks for pointing that out.

It looks like they've closed down thebluearmy.co.uk (which is where I got the RSS feed from) and redirected everything to the thisisleicestershire site instead. But instead of redirecting the RSS to the right place they've redirected it to a web page.

Should be working again now.

In the right-hand column Latest News section, you have the feed from the official site headed 'lcfc.co.uk' rather than 'lcfc.com'. I know that the .co.uk address will get you deiverted to the site after a couple more clicks but .com will get you straight there.

In the right-hand column Latest News section, you have the feed from the official site headed 'lcfc.co.uk' rather than 'lcfc.com'. I know that the .co.uk address will get you deiverted to the site after a couple more clicks but .com will get you straight there.

Both go to the same place, it doesn't take any more clicks.
Maybe you'll see the splash screen trying to sell Foxes Player the first time you use the address, but the same applies to lcfc.com.

I only changed it last month as part of the forum upgrade, I changed it from saying lcfc.com to lcfc.co.uk because they use lcfc.co.uk for the email addresses and that's also the address listed on the official football league website.
Internal links to lcfc.co.uk work without a redirect, for example http://www.lcfc.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~2382813,00.html

Surprisingly in Chrome neither will take you to the site without the inclusion of www. Even talkingballs doesn't need www. in front of it.

And I do need more clicks to get there when using .co.uk

What happens that makes you have to click?

I find this hard to believe. Now even if I put in lcfc.co.uk without the www. I get straight through to the site.

Does this mean that my copy of Chrome has 'learned'? Or has the OS had the correct A record (whatever that is, but please don't explain) set up on their DNS server in the past few minutes?

Last edited:
I find this hard to believe. Now even if I put in lcfc.co.uk without the www. I get straight through to the site.

Does this mean that my copy of Chrome has 'learned'? Or has the OS had the correct A record (whatever that is, but please don't explain) set up on their DNS server in the past few minutes?

Chrome has learned.

The OS has not had the A records in place for as long as I can remember. It takes seconds to set up and doesn't cost anything so I don't know why so many sites don't do it.

That happens to me too.

I'm pleased to say that my knees are infinitely less painful and more mobile since I had the tumour removed last year.

Hi Jeff

Swissfox has just written in another thread that posters no longer have a short time-window in which they can edit their own posts. As a mod, I was not aware of this.

Is this something that can be adjusted?

How does this work Jeff?

When people try to register it checks their IP address and email address on a blacklist of known spammers. It's a newer version of something I had running on the previous version. I installed it earlier today.

It doesn't catch all spammers but it's one of several anti-spam tools I use. Most of the spammers that do manage to register (usually 2-3 a day) get banned without having a chance to post because they're fairly obvious. They're usually bots that are targeting hundreds or thousands of sites at the same time.

I'm thinking about automatically refusing all attempted registrations from certain countries (India, Russia, Brazil, Pakistan for example) because they're only ever spammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363