Free anti virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't believe any tech guy who tried to diagnose the root of my problem before I even told him what the problem was. Ask him what his cut is when he installs McAfee.

I've used Grisoft Free-AVG ever since I got fed up of paying for Norton year after year. The only difference seems to be that my machine works faster.

The company is linx or links (not sure about spelling) and they aren't trying to sell anything infact they're calling my friend rather than the other way around with tech support as a favour.

They claim the problem is with the free avg but not the paid one.

Last edited:
The company is linx or links (not sure about spelling) and they aren't trying to sell anything infact they're calling my friend rather than the other way around with tech support as a favour.

They claim the problem is with the free avg but not the paid one.

I still see no reason to believe them. If Free-AVG was causing that degree of problem, news of it would have reached the magazines.

I used to use AVG with no problem, only when I got Vista 64bit (you have to pay for the 64bit AVG) did I move, and that was to Avast, which is equally brilliant
Everyone who I have forced to adopt it has been delighted...and amazed that you can get stuff this good for free.

I'm waiting for them to release Avast! Woman V1.0 and Avast! Beer V1.0

Used to use free AVG, now use NOD which is paid for.

currently using norton but that runs out soon and i wont be renewing, any other recommendations for free security etc, i do have spybot and ad-ware 2007 not sure if these are enough to totally replace norton :102:

currently using norton but that runs out soon and i wont be renewing, any other recommendations for free security etc, i do have spybot and ad-ware 2007 not sure if these are enough to totally replace norton :102:

Getting rid of Norton is bad news. There are people on here that will advise a lot better than I can but it wont be easy and you will have to completely remove it before you install anything else. Good Luck!

That's all I did too, and then installed the free AVG with which I've had no problems at all.

I had no problem getting rid of it, I just ran the uninstall program.

Ok well I should have phrased it that I know a number of people who have had many problems removing Norton, except for the ones that haven’t.

I've used AVG for years

AVG IMO is better than Norton, does the same job, updates nearly daily and is a lot less memory intensive. Avast! is also as good and free

did the free avg cover everything that norton did??

Norton usually comes loaded with tons of bloatware which you dont need and slows your PC down. AVG in its free form is just an anti-virus program and wont do everything Norton did. As long as you are running Windows Firewall (assuming youve got XP or Vista) and Windows Defender (standard on Vista, youll need to download it if you have XP) then youll be reasonably well protected.

You will probably need to reactivate firewall and defender as Norton most likely turned them off.

Norton usually comes loaded with tons of bloatware which you dont need and slows your PC down. AVG in its free form is just an anti-virus program and wont do everything Norton did. As long as you are running Windows Firewall (assuming youve got XP or Vista) and Windows Defender (standard on Vista, youll need to download it if you have XP) then youll be reasonably well protected.

You will probably need to reactivate firewall and defender as Norton most likely turned them off.

DO NOT use the Windows firewall, it is a pile of shite, you might as well use Notepad as a firewall for all the protection it'll give you.
Online Armour is an excellent free firewall.

so get rid of norton then download AVG, windows defender and online armour, and thats it fully covered :102:

DO NOT use the Windows firewall, it is a pile of shite, you might as well use Notepad as a firewall for all the protection it'll give you.
Online Armour is an excellent free firewall.

:icon_lol::icon_lol: Granted it's not the best Firewall around but it's not quite that bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363