Free anti virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

From Gradel to Grave

I've been operating for a while with one or two free downloaded anti viruses and, touch wood, haven't had any problems whatsoever. I'm diligent about updating them regularly and I use them beside adaware and ccleaner.

My question is what benefits do paid for protection offer? What do you get for your money that's extra?

I've been operating for a while with one or two free downloaded anti viruses and, touch wood, haven't had any problems whatsoever. I'm diligent about updating them regularly and I use them beside adaware and ccleaner.

My question is what benefits do paid for protection offer? What do you get for your money that's extra?

I used to use the paid version of Norton Anti-virus, since I've switched to the free version of AVG the only difference I've noticed is the price.

I tried a trial version of Panda anti-virus a few days ago and hated it, it slowed down my PC and it's far too over-zealous, deleting cookies as 'spyware' when they're nothing of the sort, it's as though they're trying to justify the price by making it look as though it's protecting you more.

I used to use the paid version of Norton Anti-virus, since I've switched to the free version of AVG the only difference I've noticed is the price.

I tried a trial version of Panda anti-virus a few days ago and hated it, it slowed down my PC and it's far too over-zealous, deleting cookies as 'spyware' when they're nothing of the sort, it's as though they're trying to justify the price by making it look as though it's protecting you more.

AVG is one of the ones I've been using. :038: Wasn't sure whether I'd just been lucky - people are always very sceptical when I tell them the programmes I use are free.

Generally, the non-free versions offer some extra functionality, that most people probably wouldn't even use, but are no less secure than paid for versions. Also, the free versions can be useful to the company that has produced by providing it with some statistical/reporting information from the PC that it has been installed on.

The whiney, whinging English lad (that I have mentioned previously in another thread) in my office once tried to argue with me using an analogy of "...yeah, but it's like getting somebody to install a burglar alarm in your house for free, I'd sooner pay a professional to do it..." but he is an idiot.

I've just realised, that may appear to be overtly racsist, that wasn't intentional, he just happens to be English and a complete idiot.

I've just realised, that may appear to be overtly racsist, that wasn't intentional, he just happens to be English and a complete idiot.

I'm offended.

I'm offended.

Ah, stop your whining! :icon_wink

I'm gonna be in big trouble now, Steven will be along soon posting that smiley with the waving genitals.

I offer my most enthusiastic apologies.

I read it when you first posted it and TBH I didn't even notice. If an English person takes offence at that, they need ****ing shooting

Ah, stop your whining! :icon_wink

I'm gonna be in big trouble now, Steven will be along soon posting that smiley with the waving genitals.

I offer my most enthusiastic apologies.

:018: :018: :018: :018:

There is a school of thought at present that the less populer freebie AV solutions are actually better than the big guns ... Norton, Sophos, Mcafee etc as many of the malicious code writers are currently using the biggies as testbeds to ensure that their code can get past them.

I used to use AVG, but I have upgraded to Vista 64-bit, and you have to pay for 64 bit support with AVG. I now use Avast, which is 64 bit for free and seems to do as good a job. Just remember to turn of the noises, else it lets out a racket whenever it updates!

Generally, the non-free versions offer some extra functionality, that most people probably wouldn't even use, but are no less secure than paid for versions. Also, the free versions can be useful to the company that has produced by providing it with some statistical/reporting information from the PC that it has been installed on.

There is a school of thought at present that the less populer freebie AV solutions are actually better than the big guns ... Norton, Sophos, Mcafee etc as many of the malicious code writers are currently using the biggies as testbeds to ensure that their code can get past them.

I used to use AVG, but I have upgraded to Vista 64-bit, and you have to pay for 64 bit support with AVG. I now use Avast, which is 64 bit for free and seems to do as good a job. Just remember to turn of the noises, else it lets out a racket whenever it updates!

Cheers for the advice, guys. :038:

I'm confused and looking for more advice, guys. :icon_conf

A friend has rung me and told me their lap top has become totally unusable and they're going to lose it's contents. The tech guys who rang asked straight away before being told any information whatsoever if they used free AVG.

They reckon 90% of problems they encounter are linked to free AVG and that it's causing significant problems and damage to computers it's installed on.

A friend has rung me and told me their lap top has become totally unusable and they're going to lose it's contents. The tech guys who rang asked straight away before being told any information whatsoever if they used free AVG.

They reckon 90% of problems they encounter are linked to free AVG and that it's causing significant problems and damage to computers it's installed on.

Not had an issue using it so far, touch wood!

Absolute nonsense.

AVG has consistently outperformed a lot of the paid for anti-virus apps in lab tests, including Norton & McAfee.

Horse hockey. I have used free AVG for a number of years and have had no problems. :icon_wink

I wouldn't believe any tech guy who tried to diagnose the root of my problem before I even told him what the problem was. Ask him what his cut is when he installs McAfee.

I've used Grisoft Free-AVG ever since I got fed up of paying for Norton year after year. The only difference seems to be that my machine works faster.

I used to use AVG with no problem, only when I got Vista 64bit (you have to pay for the 64bit AVG) did I move, and that was to Avast, which is equally brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363