Fuel protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
They took the average price of petrol last week and worked out per mile at that price. So for 24 miles, it was x amount per trip. It could of been worked out a week earlier - and I'd of lost 50pence or such.

So in future I will be paying say £15.50 for the trip and get given £16.80 for it.

But what about the cost of tyres? brakes? clutch? additonal insurance? wear and tear? depreciation?

Don't Esso and BP pretty much provide most of the petrol to all of the smaller petrol stations anyway?

There must be a cover-up going on; I never seem to read stories about truck driver raping and killing young girls anymore.

Don't Esso and BP pretty much provide most of the petrol to all of the smaller petrol stations anyway?

My best mate and his missus work for BP - for years they have avoided buying from BP forecourts, because quite often they lose money at the pump - the money is made in extraction and refining. And and as someone else has mentioned, BP and ESSO provide most of the fuel for the other retaillers.

As an aside the farmers can go **** themselves - they don't pay fuel duty and claim the Vat back. And the truckers can go join them - they claim the Vat back and their road fund tax has decreased in real terms since the last fuel protests.

And each other.

Some years ago I heped a journalist research an article on Petrol refining, distribution and retail. It turned out that you could be buying anybody's petrol at any petrol station. It may have changed a bit, but I suspect it's very much the same now.

This idea was circulating a couple of years ago, but never took off - it was pointed out then that in fact all you would do is damage the francisees who operate under the particular brand name.

I wouldn't mind paying the extra 2p a litre if even some of the money was used to try and save the planet.

In my opinion it would be far more beneficial if 0.5p of the most recent tax increase (and the ones coming up) was invested into trying to find new energy sources that aren't fossil fuels. This is where the next revolution is likely to be in energy - therefore it makes good sense for the government to invest, create job, industry and make us a world leader in 'new' energies instead of just trying to cripple car owners constantly and continually telling us carbon is evil and therefore cars are more evil that the devil himself.

I wouldn't mind paying the extra 2p a litre if even some of the money was used to try and save the planet.

In my opinion it would be far more beneficial if 0.5p of the most recent tax increase (and the ones coming up) was invested into trying to find new energy sources that aren't fossil fuels. This is where the next revolution is likely to be in energy - therefore it makes good sense for the government to invest, create job, industry and make us a world leader in 'new' energies instead of just trying to cripple car owners constantly and continually telling us carbon is evil and therefore cars are more evil that the devil himself.

The Yanks would never agree to allowing your government to do any of that, they stand to lose too much.

The planet is fooked, deal with it.

Accounting for inflation petrol doesn't cost 'way more' than it did then, in real terms it costs around 5% more.

I would like to know your figures for this one Jeff.

From what I can find (and this is for unleaded not Diesel) the average price per litre was 76.2p in 2000 and 95.1p in 2007, closer to 25% I make it!

From what I can find (and this is for unleaded not Diesel) the average price per litre was 76.2p in 2000 and 95.1p in 2007, closer to 25% I make it!

Thats's not in real terms though. 25% of 76.2p is 19.05p

19.05+ 76.2 = 95.2p

However if you consdier the cost of inflation (which I think has proberly averaged at about 2.5% a year since 2000) 17.5% of that is essentially inflation.

Which if my sums are correct means petrol in real terms (compared with then) is at 78.5p a rise of about 2.3p

I'm not 100% these figures are correct as my maths has become a bit shakey.

I have family in the haulage business which is why I have been quite active on this thread. It is not just about how much fuel costs at the pump, it is the knock on effect on the price of all the goods that are delivered, so we end up getting shafted twice!!
More and more work is being sub-contracted to overseas drivers who basically under cut the u.k transport businesses because they do not have to pay the hefty overheads, they pay no road tax, drive a majority of their miles on fuel purchased outside of the u.k and do not have to abide by all of the laws and regulations that u.k drivers have to, so their vehicles are not maintained as well.

It is not just the haulage businesses that are suffering the effects of 'cheap imports' all u.k businesses are slowly being strangled!!!

at 76.2p in 2000 and inflation running at 2.5% per annum would make a litre 90.6p now around 9p below what is being charged but dont forget that the Governement fuel duty has also risen in that time and needs to be added

Last edited:
Thats's not in real terms though. 25% of 76.2p is 19.05p

19.05+ 76.2 = 95.2p

FFS Fox Fan!!! I said closer to 25% not fecking spot on, I am sorry I was .1p out, maybe you could tell me the % I was :icon_roll

Inflation obviously plays a part, but when you consider that around 75% of the fuel price is tax it takes the piss!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool512
2Manchester C  412
3Aston Villa512
4Chelsea510
5Arsenal410
6Newcastle510
7Brighton48
8Fulham58
9Nottm F48