Fuel protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has seen the most expensive, to change tak slightly.

Texaco in Melton has Deisel @ 106.9!!

Thats's not in real terms though. 25% of 76.2p is 19.05p

19.05+ 76.2 = 95.2p

However if you consdier the cost of inflation (which I think has proberly averaged at about 2.5% a year since 2000) 17.5% of that is essentially inflation.

Which if my sums are correct means petrol in real terms (compared with then) is at 78.5p a rise of about 2.3p

I'm not 100% these figures are correct as my maths has become a bit shakey.

FFS Fox Fan!!! I said closer to 25% not fecking spot on, I am sorry I was .1p out, maybe you could tell me the % I was :icon_roll

Inflation obviously plays a part, but when you consider that around 75% of the fuel price is tax it takes the piss!!

Yes but in real terms the price has increased by 3.01% (if my original figures are correct) which is no where near 25%!

No, because if Scotland was independent there would be no British Army.

Anyway, Scotland already gets the bulk of the benefit from oil in terms of economic activity. The deal done with the last government means that there is no royalty charged on the oil extracted, and the licenses have pretty well all been flogged.

No, because if Scotland was independent there would be no British Army.

Anyway, Scotland already gets the bulk of the benefit from oil in terms of economic activity. The deal done with the last government means that there is no royalty charged on the oil extracted, and the licenses have pretty well all been flogged.

Not to mentions reserves are supposed to be running low up there, so it would only benefit them for around 10 years after which point they would be fecked.

Not to mentions reserves are supposed to be running low up there, so it would only benefit them for around 10 years after which point they would be fecked.

well, let's hand it over to them in 10 years then....
feckers

A group called Transaction 2007 is planning a "nationwide legal protest" this Wednesday.

You might remember the fuel protest of 2000 which initially gathered strong support from motorists. However, that support quickly turned when many motorists were prevented from filling up because of lorry blockades.

PetrolPrices.com expressed to the organisers that they may find public support for another fuel protest providing it was properly planned to be legal and orderly. So far, the Transaction 2007 organisers have been unwilling to confirm to us specifically what action they have planned for this week. When we pressed the groups' spokesman, Chris Hunter, he said "This will be a numbers game levied against legislation. I can comment no further."

With fuel breaking well beyond the £1 barrier, PetrolPrices.com has had a huge rise in the number of emails from concerned motorists. People were especially angry following the last fuel duty hike, imposed by the Government in October. Despite being made aware of the huge resistance from motorists, the Government pushed ahead with the 2p duty increase, leaving the public frustrated and angry. Over 80,000 people had voted against the tax hike on our blog post.

The protests of 2000 achieved some success in that the fuel duty escalator was frozen. However, it has now resumed and with the rising price of oil motorists are paying ever increasing taxation due to VAT on fuel. Unlike fuel duty which is fixed, VAT is charged at 17.5%, so for every 1p increase in the price of fuel, we are actually paying an extra 1.175p.

We'd love to hear what you think. How have the tax and oil price rises affected you? Will you be forced to tighten your belt this Christmas as a result?

From PetrolPrices.com

Transaction2007 said:
We'd love to hear what you think.
I think they're a bunch of wankers.

Triple fuel costs, quadruple them - these moaning twats only drive trucks so they can have sex with fat, 50+yr old slags for cash in their poxy little cabs while parked up in a lorry park near Fleet.

Bollocks to them.

Triple fuel costs, quadruple them - these moaning twats only drive trucks so they can have sex with fat, 50+yr old slags for cash in their poxy little cabs while parked up in a lorry park near Fleet.

Bollocks to them.

hear hear

remember when poor people couldn't afford cars or food?

when Norman Tebbit's dad got on his *bike*?

when poor people were thin not fat?

when Leicester had two train stations?

when Leicester had trams?

double petrol and use the money to rebuild the trams and force people onto bicycles

Bollocks to them.

Narrow minded cnut :098:

double petrol and use the money to rebuild the trams and force people onto bicycles

Yes because that is exactly why the government is hiking prices up, and what they will spend it on :icon_roll

Look at some European countries, No where near the price of fuel we pay and twice the public transport we have.

It would be alright if the rise in petrol prices were countered by cheaper train services but the one who operates in the East Mids is trying to hike ticket prices up 25%. Where exactly is the counter balance in that.

Those of you who are happy to pay 90% tax on fuel and over £100 a year on road tax are mugs.

Although i can see why the Government do need all the extra money from tax to pay for our top class roads, i mean imagine if we had the biggest network of Speed cameras in Europe, we would have billions rolling in as well :icon_roll

Last edited:
I'm bored of driving now anyway. With the cost of running a car as well as sitting in traffic more often than not, I'm getting on me push bike. There are some top class cycle lanes in Leicester these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool512
2Manchester C  412
3Aston Villa512
4Chelsea510
5Arsenal410
6Newcastle510
7Brighton48
8Fulham58
9Nottm F48