Gambling Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never put a single penny into a slot machine in my life, and never will, total mug's game.
They're called 'bandits' for a reason.

i love the trivia machines, aways chuck a few quid on Deal or No Deal etc

good luck Swede, when i was in Malmo they had blackjack tables and pokies in the clubs....tough

But they're different though aren't they? Not a game of 'chance' with the odds stacked against you.

yeah...that's why they don't have "payout 87%" on the top

erm... eh? Are you being smart? I've no idea what you're saying DV

not sure what the law is in Ireland...but in the UK gambling machines that are a game of chance have the odds written on them on a little metal plate

so a fruit machine has "payout 87%" on it

which kind of gives the games away....you play long enough, you lose 13% of your money :)

however....the quiz machines...notably IT box ones in Wetherspoons etc...don't have the odds on them, because they are not games of chance

not sure what the law is in Ireland...but in the UK gambling machines that are a game of chance have the odds written on them on a little metal plate

so a fruit machine has "payout 87%" on it

which kind of gives the games away....you play long enough, you lose 13% of your money :)

however....the quiz machines...notably IT box ones in Wetherspoons etc...don't have the odds on them, because they are not games of chance

Oh right, gotcha. I had no idea they had that on them.
Do they have different values on them, or are they all supposedly 87%? I would've thought they could be set to pay out even less than that.

My mates play them on the regular and always know when one is due a pay out, so I wouldn't say it's simply a mugs game.

My mates play them on the regular and always know when one is due a pay out, so I wouldn't say it's simply a mugs game.

is it due to pay out after they've spent an hour chucking in £20?

;)

is it due to pay out after they've spent an hour chucking in £20?

;)

A lot of them are now 30/50p a go, they never last an hour.

I used to play them a lot and lose a lot. I now have the odd go and rarely put in more than a fiver.
When I used to play if I won anything it used to go back in, but now I never lose too much as I will walk away with the smaller amounts.

don't touch fruities at all now, 50p a pop? having a laugh.

I love quiz machines, usually end up level and had me beer paid for

Ocean Finance in Tamworth was set up by a guy who went in pubs and knew the system in Fruit Machines and was later barred from each pub as he emptied them all.

He then sold his business for something ridiculous like a couple hundred million (i think).

I try to stay away from anything that could be addictive in any way because I'm pretty certain that I have a very addictive personality. I drink a lot - not enough that I would consider myself an alcoholic, but because I work in a pub I'll have maybe 1 pint a day at least and at weekends I go overboard big time. I did try to give up drinking for a month recently and failed miserably.

I steer well clear of gambling, smoking and drugs as I know full well that if I got into them then I'd get into them big time.

I try to stay away from anything that could be addictive in any way because I'm pretty certain that I have a very addictive personality. I drink a lot - not enough that I would consider myself an alcoholic, but because I work in a pub I'll have maybe 1 pint a day at least and at weekends I go overboard big time. I did try to give up drinking for a month recently and failed miserably.

I steer well clear of gambling, smoking and drugs as I know full well that if I got into them then I'd get into them big time.

I think I'm quite lucky as I wouldn't say I have an addiction to anything (apart from Football Manager). I never bet, hate alchohol and only drink when I'm out, have never tried a single cigarette or drug. In fact I'm a right boring bastard.:icon_lol:

Last edited:

Ah yes, true. My grand-grand dad was an alcoholic and I think it's, at least partially, genetic? I'm obviously not a gambling addict in the sense that I'm a hopeless case, but I know I could easily be an addict so that's why I won't go into alcohol or, from now on, gambling.

Well, I think you're only addicted to something if it starts to really affect or control your life. If I didn't work in a pub I wouldn't drink half as much and I don't think I'd particularly miss it or actively try to get a drink every day. It's just being around it means that I do it more often.

I've never spent beyond my means on booze by any stretch of the imagination and I've never had any occasions where it's really affected me and I've done something daft, I've never needed to have a drink.

Sounds like you're on the right track though, you've done something silly, realised that you have and you know that it makes sense not to do it again - doesn't sound like an addict to me. There's nothing wrong with gambling a few quid - but it hs to be your money and it has to be within your means.

Bandits, mug game.

I can sadly be found in a bookies for at least twenty minutes every Saturday. Averaging £30 waged. If you look around a bookies, you can see the pitfalls of addiction. Never do online however or the machines which do Roulette etc.

I have 3 close friends who have gone bankrupt through gambling

All of them have addictive personalities (big drinkers/smokers) so maybe there is something in what others have mentioned earlier in this thread

All of them still gamble but pretend they don't. Me and many of my friends talk about it as it's so easy to pick apart their stories and excuses. I do believe they don't gamble as much as before, but having said that they didn't always gamble as much before things spiralled so I wouldn't put it past them to end up there again.

To put things in context, the largest debt one of them accumulated was £65000. It may sound like a lot, but think of it as just 100 times what you lost the other day. My advice (in no way based on any knowledge or expertise) is to get out and stay out by whichever method suits you best

I have 3 close friends who have gone bankrupt through gambling

All of them have addictive personalities (big drinkers/smokers) so maybe there is something in what others have mentioned earlier in this thread

All of them still gamble but pretend they don't. Me and many of my friends talk about it as it's so easy to pick apart their stories and excuses. I do believe they don't gamble as much as before, but having said that they didn't always gamble as much before things spiralled so I wouldn't put it past them to end up there again.

To put things in context, the largest debt one of them accumulated was £65000. It may sound like a lot, but think of it as just 100 times what you lost the other day. My advice (in no way based on any knowledge or expertise) is to get out and stay out by whichever method suits you best

Better still invest the £65000 in bookmaker's shares. :icon_wink Problem is that it does not give the instant gratification so craved by those addicted to gambling.

Better still invest the £65000 in bookmaker's shares. :icon_wink Problem is that it does not give the instant gratification so craved by those addicted to gambling.

Sounds like a plan Steven. All we need to do now is find someone who thinks they have a way of beating the bookies so we can take all their money :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669