Generation Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their local or chosen team for whatever reason - clearly in our case bar success.!

I come from no where near Leicester but I've supported them since I was 5.

My dad has never set foot in Leicester, knows no-one from there, but has been happy or downbeat (usually the latter) depending on how we got on, every Saturday for decades now. It's a strange thing.

(Cue someone saying "Luxury! I've never even heard of Leicester and I've killed myself every time we've lost since 1897" in a Yorkshire accent)

My dad has never set foot in Leicester, knows no-one from there, but has been happy or downbeat (usually the latter) depending on how we got on, every Saturday for decades now. It's a strange thing.

(Cue someone saying "Luxury! I've never even heard of Leicester and I've killed myself every time we've lost since 1897" in a Yorkshire accent)
:icon_lol:

What about supporters that don't follow their "local" team though?

I respect the many supporters who never go near the ground but personally I could not do that. I grew up a Worcester City supporter but came to Leicester as a young man. There was never any question on arriving in Leicester that I would then change allegiance . No doubt the switch was made easier by Leicester and Worcester never playing each other.

In some clubs it is obvious. People whose families supported Shankly's Liverpool in the 1960s supported Ferguson's Man U in the 1990s and will no doubt support Pearson's Leicester in the 2020s. These are the "glory fans"; but why does someone with no connection to Leicester support the club rather than Newcastle or Villa.

I respect the many supporters who never go near the ground but personally I could not do that. I grew up a Worcester City supporter but came to Leicester as a young man. There was never any question on arriving in Leicester that I would then change allegiance . No doubt the switch was made easier by Leicester and Worcester never playing each other.

In some clubs it is obvious. People whose families supported Shankly's Liverpool in the 1960s supported Ferguson's Man U in the 1990s and will no doubt support Pearson's Leicester in the 2020s. These are the "glory fans"; but why does someone with no connection to Leicester support the club rather than Newcastle or Villa.
I don't honestly know. Should I piss off and never come back?

Because when I was a kid, Leicester beat Spurs in the league, and there was this particularly snotty kid at school who supported Spurs. Leicester it was for me then. I've connection with Leicester at all, and none of my family have. I could have chosen a worse club.:icon_wink

Last edited:
I know it's at least three. My dad grew up in Lutterworth and his dad (my late granddad) used to take him to matches in the sixties and seventies.

My dad then moved to Cambridgeshire in the early nineties for work reasons and brought me and my siblings up as Leicester supporters, my first memories of which involve having a poster of Steve Guppy on my bedroom wall.

At school I was surrounded by Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans, none of whom ever attended matches, obviously. There were also a fair amount of Ipswich fans, and those are the only people I interacted with who actually went to football matches like I did.

It's strange to think that when I was at primary school (mid nineties to early noughties) I was teased about supporting Leicester as if they were a "rubbish" team, and this was in the O'Neill era to start with. Nowadays, as an adult, few people would mock someone about supporting a side that consistently finished in mid table in the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669