GM's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing wrong with that.

But putting a defender on for a striker when you're 2-0 down is indefensible.

If he thought N'Gotty should come on, why didn't he take a defender off instead?

Can't disagree with you there, the point I'm trying to make is that he should have started with a more defensive set up. The half time substitutions only compounded the first mistake.

Can't disagree with you there, the point I'm trying to make is that he should have started with a more defensive set up. The half time substitutions only compounded the first mistake.

Six defenders in the starting line up - and you want a more defensive line up? I think you'll find that the laws of the game only allow one 'keeper! :biggrin:

do you think megson was right with this sub in particular??
the big picture is we are playing poorly for whatever reasons.the forwards have not instilled any confidence in me at all, when started or come on as subs.we were behind at florist and he brought stearman on and scored,dont see many posts appreciating that move.we scored 3 goals that night,none were from a forward.

megson has said today he needs to get some loans in and has gone to mm for funds.something has to change,the 15 players ma has brought in i rate 2, n'gotty and clemence,n'gotty has not played that well (i also havent seen a few,kaebi etc).i dont care what manager you bring in, we are going to have to give this time to turn around.

I think GM did the right thing on Saturday by bringing on N'Gotty and Kishishev. If he had taken off a defender and brought on an attacker - as at the time I hoped he would - the likelyhood is we would have conceded again very early in to the second half and at 3-0 there would have been no chance of getting back into the game.

What I do not agree with was the substitution of Campbell for Fryatt. Having solidified things at the back and keeping it at 2-0 I believe after 65-70 minutes we then should have made an attacking substitution and brought Campbell on for one of the three centre halves. At that time we had to go for it. If we let in another goal then it would have made no difference as we were losing anyway.

I think GM did the right thing on Saturday by bringing on N'Gotty and Kishishev. If he had taken off a defender and brought on an attacker - as at the time I hoped he would - the likelyhood is we would have conceded again very early in to the second half and at 3-0 there would have been no chance of getting back into the game.

What I do not agree with was the substitution of Campbell for Fryatt. Having solidified things at the back and keeping it at 2-0 I believe after 65-70 minutes we then should have made an attacking substitution and brought Campbell on for one of the three centre halves. At that time we had to go for it. If we let in another goal then it would have made no difference as we were losing anyway.

Spot of diarrhoea there, mate? Seriously though with GM surely if he would have kept things tight he would have wanted to keep together our strongest centre back partnership wouldn't he and not cock around with it like he did.

Were these the same talentless buffoons who hammered the best team in the division 4-1 your talking about.

They are also largely the same bunch that have flirted with relegation for the last 3 seasons. Apart from Clemence and N'Gotty, most of the old guard have been in evidence once again.

Neilson, Kaebi, Chambers, Hayes, Hellings, Cort, Campbell, Newton, Sappleton, Kishishev have all struggled to get places against competition from players who were clearly nowhere near good enough to get us promoted.

Can't say that I'm fussed which 11 out of the 45 pros we seem to have acquired, play on any given Saturday. I think you could dump 20 of them at random off Beachy Head and make very little difference to our overall strength.

Of the players who were around before this season, I haven't seen sufficient evidence to suggest that any are good enough to be part of a promotion team. Some play well one week and crap the next two (i.e. McAuley, Kisnorbo, Hume, Wesolowski, Mattock). Pretty much all the rest have given enough garbage appearances to make them transfer list/give away material.

Bottom line is, if I were picking a team to try to compete with Villa on Wednesday, I'm putting Fulop in goal, Clemence in midfield and then pooing myself. GM has one hell of a job to do.

Spot of diarrhoea there, mate? Seriously though with GM surely if he would have kept things tight he would have wanted to keep together our strongest centre back partnership wouldn't he and not cock around with it like he did.

Would that be the same centre back partnership that saw us 2-0 down at half time?

Gary megson has been out of football for a long time, whether due to a lack of skill or a conspiracy, I think that we have a frightened manager.
The reason that he took the Leicester job was that it is his last chance saloon. 2-0 down in twenty minutes, what does he do? Covers his back by putting on more defence and holds out. Let's be honest, 2-0 does not sound too bad: I suspect that we would not have been too concerned at the score, if we had made a match of it.
A scared manager might suit Milan, he'll do as he's told but, does not bode well for the club.

i agree with your first part :038:

i would have started with fryatt on sat,he held the ball up well against florist and made us play football instead of hoofball and it got us the win.im sure gm thought the same,but what happens is nobody seems to be wanting to step up to the plate and make a position theirs.they are just not consistant.

it would be a nightmare for any new manager to come in and try and pick the 'right' team,from a group of players he knows little about.
i havent seen anywhere,where gm has said 'i didnt buy this lot,dont blame me'. he has assesed them after watching 2 games and come to the conclusion, we need some changes.

what we didnt bring in under ma was a pro who has been around the block.a jfh or robbie fowler in the dressing room might have stopped their heads from dropping when things got tough.but we all know what happened there,and thats when i lost my faith in ma,and i dare say mm lost it too.

Gary megson has been out of football for a long time, whether due to a lack of skill or a conspiracy, I think that we have a frightened manager.
The reason that he took the Leicester job was that it is his last chance saloon. 2-0 down in twenty minutes, what does he do? Covers his back by putting on more defence and holds out. Let's be honest, 2-0 does not sound too bad: I suspect that we would not have been too concerned at the score, if we had made a match of it.
A scared manager might suit Milan, he'll do as he's told but, does not bode well for the club.
theres other teams that have started well (not that we did)and are now getting stuffed.coventry lost 3-0 to bristol city and then lost 4-1 to ipswich.i dont see many calling for dowies head.although people would say he would be a better appointment than megson.charlton was allways going to be a tough ask, but if we had lost to florist 3-0 and charlton 4-1 the razor blades would be out in force.

norwich and southampton are only just above us and sheff utd(favs to go up) arent pulling any trees up.by the end of the season that might all have changed i know.i also know that we will have improved by then.

"time, time, time is on ourside, yes it is" :icon_wink

"We changed the formation for the second half at Charlton and I thought we looked better with Bruno N'Gotty in there at the back. But what it meant was that one of the forwards, Iain Hume, had to come off, and I felt sorry for him because he is such a good player"

:

read exactly the same quote in the mercury, i was ****ing livid, it goes against everything we are supposadly trying to achieve.

I think someone should read that quote to mr mandaric on thursday and ask him if he feels that tactic and consolidating when 2-0 down justifies value for money for the near 2000 who made the journey.

Also ask him if he believes said tactics will achieve his goal of a quick return to the premier league, and question why GM believes such a stupid thing to say was a possitive. Lets see what bullshit can be conjured up in response.

Also if Hume is such a good player then why the fcuk would you substitute him. Surely you keep your best attacking options on the pitch.

I have tried to defend Megson and give him time but those sort of actions and explainations are inexcuseable.

Hume was carrying an injury.

When we appointed GM I was critical of what I perceived to be his negative tactics.

I think this quote from him following Saturday's match says it all...

"We changed the formation for the second half at Charlton and I thought we looked better with Bruno N'Gotty in there at the back. But what it meant was that one of the forwards, Iain Hume, had to come off, and I felt sorry for him because he is such a good player"

I assumed Hume must have been injured, for him to be replaced by a defender when we were 2-0 down. But Megson obviously thinks holding out for a 2-0 defeat is better than trying to get back into the game. :098:

Goal difference at most is worth 1 point and only worth anything if equal to points to other teams come the end of the season.

His attitude is horrid and is about self preservation megson was doing damage limitation as he preffered to reduce the risk of a heavy defeat then have a chance of getting back into the game.

to me losing 1-0 and losing 4-0 are the same you get 0 points, the sooner we get rid of megson the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669