Greatest City goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heskey's equaliser in the first final 1997, not the best one but it meant so much to me.
It was one of the first City games I ever watched (on TV of course), and I had misunderstood the rules a bit (I was only 6 or 7) so I was gutted when Ravenelli scored, I thought it was all over. Then Heskey equalised and I felt like Lazarus.:)

Can't believe nobody has given Gary Coatsworth's slugger against Luton. I nearly fell off the Double Decker when he scored that :icon_bigg

Ian Marshall scored a couple of corkers too. I remember him absolutely leathering one into the roof of the net, possibly also against Manure, which was featured on the Match of the Day intro the following season. And for the amount I celebrated it, the opener in the away game against Atletico Madrid.

Heskey's equaliser in the first final 1997, not the best one but it meant so much to me.
It was one of the first City games I ever watched (on TV of course), and I had misunderstood the rules a bit (I was only 6 or 7) so I was gutted when Ravenelli scored, I thought it was all over. Then Heskey equalised and I felt like Lazarus.:)

That goal means a lot to me as well as I was Ball Boy that day. I can confirm that Ravenelli had the right arse after the game, i asked him for his autograph when i was standing in the tunnel area and he just muttered something in italian and pushed me out of the way.

it must be one of the older players now, Howard? Oakley? Powell?

edit: wait, shit! it was against Palace, it mustve been Marc Edworthy! :)

Thats him!! he brought Muzzy down and gave away the penalty which Parker scored Of course much later after Kalac appeared and confused everyone just before Claridge shinned in the winner.

On the video of great City goals which was made a few years back (year 2000 or before) these were the top 10
Walshie vs. Sheep
Joachim vs. Portsmouth
Joe Waters vs. QPR (Oh yes for the youngster)
Weller vs. Luton
Heskey vs. Arsenal (as mentioned by Desertfox)
Claridge vs. Middlesbrough
Claridge vs. Man U (the 1-2 with Heskey just mentioned)
Joachim vs. Barnsley
Claridge vs. Palace (mentioned above)
It’s not God it’s only Andy Peake was number One for that brilliant goal against Liverpool He also scored some other crackers against Watford and Norwich ones I seem to remember

Can't believe nobody has given Gary Coatsworth's slugger against Luton. I nearly fell off the Double Decker when he scored that :icon_bigg

It was an absolute bullet and I had thought about it but I couldn't bring myself to suggest it. To put it kindly I thought Coatsworth was a little limited in his play.

David Speedie scored a good volley away at Bolton.....
I think for pure excitement, Walshies equaliser against the gooners is right up there for me.

The goal I most enjoyed was that by Steve Claridge that put us into the premiership. However, long range goals often have a touch of luck about them. The best goal I ever saw for Leicester was by Keith Weller at Nottingham Forest. He beat several good defenders before putting the ball in the back of the net. Weller often seemed to have a joy in playing and to score a goal of such skill against Forest on their own ground was very special.

The goal I most enjoyed was that by Steve Claridge that put us into the premiership. However, long range goals often have a touch of luck about them. The best goal I ever saw for Leicester was by Keith Weller at Nottingham Forest. He beat several good defenders before putting the ball in the back of the net. Weller often seemed to have a joy in playing and to score a goal of such skill against Forest on their own ground was very special.

not quite the same standard of opposition but wellers goal at luton was top notch. andy peakes goal at home to liverpool was also a stonker.

It was an absolute bullet and I had thought about it but I couldn't bring myself to suggest it. To put it kindly I thought Coatsworth was a little limited in his play.

That's why it's one of my favorites. He looked as surprised as anybody else! :icon_lol:

I also remember Joachim scoring a goal from a near impossible angle at Cambridge. That would go in my top 10 list too.

For goals that excited the fans, there were a few in the last Premiership season.

Craig Hignett's last minute equaliser against Arsenal. (Cue "Champions League, you're having a laugh")

Ferdinand's winner at Birmingham (Right after the second La Manga incident, with three players still in the nick)

Dickov's opener away at Arsenal in the last game of the season. (Looking like we were going to spoil their unbeaten season, until a couple of dodgy refereeing decisions)

difficult to pick out a single goal as there has been so many that were truly brilliant, but one that sticks out for me was Keith Wellers against Newcastle at Filbert St, the ball came to him at the edge of the box direct from a corner and he hit it sweetly on the volley

i was on the pop side for that goal- the toon army were penned in next to the kop and you could have heard a mouse f@rt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669