Hartlepool United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you drop King when he scored to keep the unbeaten run going, and he played as well or as equally poor (which ever way you want to look at it) as anyone else on Saturday?

Apart from his excellent talent for getting goals from midfield, I don't really see the point of him. He has some potential, but he is also nowhere near as good as people seem to be portraying him to be. He disappears for large parts of games. I could easily imagine him being the crowd boo boy if we weren't winning so regularly and he'd scored a few less.

We've got three tough away games coming up and we need grafters. I think Cleverley is more suited to that role and could link up well with Berner. King has also played a huge number of games over the last 6 months and, like Dyer, would probably benefit from sitting out a few games.

From Teamtalk

Leicester goalkeeper Carl Pentney is likely to be the only change in Nigel Pearson's starting line-up for the trip to Hartlepool.

Pentney came off the bench to make his debut in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Swindon after David Martin picked up a rib injury.

Martin is rated doubtful for the game at Victoria Park, so Pentney is set to deputise with fellow shot-stoppers Paul Henderson (groin) and Alex Cisak (broken wrist) still on the sidelines.

Joe Mattock is likely to continue at left-back ahead of Bruno Berner.

Leicester are currently nine points clear of their nearest challengers, MK Dons, at the top of League One.

The Foxes go into the game looking to equal their club record of 19 games undefeated, which they set in 1971.

:icon_eek:don't start that argument again, the Kop ain't moving

That's a different argument - and one in which you and I fully agree.

I must be the only one who thinks Gilbert has looked pretty solid at the back and has good initiative going forward

Always falls asleep when the ball goes over his head, doesn't defend his back post well either. His awareness isn't brill - shame he looked rather good in early part of the season. Infact he was monster against Stockport at EP.

Maybe we play better away, but our home record is (slightly) better than our away record this season.

The 1970/71 season (the one where we had the record unbeaten run that we are now seeking to break) was similar. We gained only 3 more points at home than we did away that season - 31 at home and 28 away.

P42, HW12 HD7 HL2 HG30-14, AW11 AD6 AL4 AG27-16, Pts59

Finished 3 points clear of second and a further 3 away from third (and another season in the second division.

Figures that are imprinted on my brain.

knowitall said:
Which Goalkeeper will play against Hartlepool?

David Martin..............still injured for at least a week.
Paul Henderson out for 12 weeks.
Conrad Logan.............Not rated by the people in charge. Expect him to move out on loan soon.
Carl Pentney. Thought of as too young.

Some of you will sugguest we go for a world class keeeper on loan. Errrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm like?

Lets Say MARK BUNN third choice keeper at Blackburn.

Good News is that Tunchevs op went great and he expects to start light training on July the 1st.

The 1970/71 season (the one where we had the record unbeaten run that we are now seeking to break) was similar. We gained only 3 more points at home than we did away that season - 31 at home and 28 away.

P42, HW12 HD7 HL2 HG30-14, AW11 AD6 AL4 AG27-16, Pts59

Finished 3 points clear of second and a further 3 away from third (and another season in the second division.

Figures that are imprinted on my brain.

My first full season Boc. I remember a 0-1 home defeat to Sheff Utd when Woodward scored direct from a corner (I think it was that season anyway).

My first full season Boc. I remember a 0-1 home defeat to Sheff Utd when Woodward scored direct from a corner (I think it was that season anyway).

Almost. Sheffield United went up with us and went straight to the top of the First Division. As far as I remember they won all their first four games - I think one of them was at Goodison and I was actually at Highbury when they won 1-0 there. The Woodward-direct-from-a-corner goal was a few weeks after that and in the last minute of the game. It left them still top and us on the very brink of the two relegation places. You will know that we recovered and finished up just in the top half at the end of the season.

Maybe we play better away, but our home record is (slightly) better than our away record this season.

I should think that every team has a better home record than away, the fact that ours are similar shows that we relatively play better away than at home.

Always falls asleep when the ball goes over his head, doesn't defend his back post well either. His awareness isn't brill - shame he looked rather good in early part of the season. Infact he was monster against Stockport at EP.

For all the hard work he puts in bombing on and over laping, there's rarely an end product...

MK Dons, Stockport, Colchester, Yeovil, Leyton Orient and Brighton all have better away records than home records.

Tell me again at the end of the season. but even now that's 6 out of 20+ and in the other leagues?

Apart from his excellent talent for getting goals from midfield, I don't really see the point of him. He has some potential, but he is also nowhere near as good as people seem to be portraying him to be. He disappears for large parts of games. I could easily imagine him being the crowd boo boy if we weren't winning so regularly and he'd scored a few less.

We've got three tough away games coming up and we need grafters. I think Cleverley is more suited to that role and could link up well with Berner. King has also played a huge number of games over the last 6 months and, like Dyer, would probably benefit from sitting out a few games.

So apart from him scoring regularly and playing a key role in an undefeated team and being the only player to play every minute this season he's not performing? Right got it.

I remember people saying Lineker was useless too, apart from his goalscoring record. :lol:

I can't understand people! Having a knack of scoring goals is not something you come across in players too often - especially midfielders. King may not be excellent every week but he is at the very least steady. His goals are a massive bonus on top.

So apart from him scoring regularly and playing a key role in an undefeated team and being the only player to play every minute this season he's not performing? Right got it.

What annoys me is that some players can do no wrong despite obvious limitations, whilst others get nothing but grief despite obvious attributes. Steve Howard is a case in point. He was perceived as being total shite until about November when he suddenly became our most important player.

Andy King has potential and a valuable ability to score goals from midfield. However, he is also not worthy of the adulation that he's been getting recently. He could easily be playing non-league football in 3 years time if he doesn't develop several areas of his game that are simply not good enough. However, he could also make a decent career for himself at a higher level. But right now, I think he's lightweight wouldn't look half the player at Championship level.

I'd pick him for our best 11 this season but I'd leave him out of the next 3 tough away games for a rest and to replace him with a feistier alternative. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669