Hartlepool United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd pick him for our best 11 this season but I'd leave him out of the next 3 tough away games for a rest and to replace him with a feistier alternative. That's all.

I think he would have every right to be pretty hacked off if he was dropped right now. He can only improve and get stronger by playing games. He does all the understated stuff well, which is why, I suppose, he doesn't register on some supporters' radars. At the moment he would be my first name on the team sheet.

I think he would have every right to be pretty hacked off if he was dropped right now. He can only improve and get stronger by playing games. He does all the understated stuff well, which is why, I suppose, he doesn't register on some supporters' radars. At the moment he would be my first name on the team sheet.

I wouldn't go that far with King but dont see why he should be dropped.

On a side note, tomorrow i'd like to see.

Bunn

Morrison Hobbs Brown Mattock

Oakley King Berner Cleverley

Howard Fryatt

Subs: Pentney Gilbert Chambers Hayles Dyer

I wouldn't go that far with King but dont see why he should be dropped.

On a side note, tomorrow i'd like to see.

Bunn

Morrison Hobbs Brown Mattock

Oakley King Berner Cleverley

Howard Fryatt

Subs: Pentney Gilbert Chambers Hayles Dyer

Not a fan of that team, far too narrow if you ask me... With Oakley and Cleverley playing in the wide midfield positions, they'd both be coming inside more, which means you'd want the fullbacks to push on and provide width... something Morrison wouldn't do (or at least not as well as Gilbert).. Mattock would be the only wide threat.

I say just Berner in for Cleverley to add a bit more steal to the midfield, then leave it as is probably. Maybe Dyer out for Gradel.

I would think there is more consensus around the notion of dropping Dyer. One muted idea was to play Mattock there rather than Gradel and I think that would be worthy of consideration. But I do think Dyer needs a 'rest'.
As for King, as long as he is complemented by the right kind of player to play next to him, I would keep him in for various reasons. But the Oakley/King in the centre combo doesn't really work - I think Oakley on the right and Berner in the centre alongside King works better. A team is all about balance and the right mix of talents. I think this blend and combo would work best for all concerned.
I'm not too fussed about the right back arguments. Gilbert is not perfect but I'm not convinced the alternatives are any better. I would however much more strongly argue for giving Brown a game. Again like the midfield, this about the right mix and blend of talents - the centre backs need an older and wiser head next to a younger one. Brown is a proven talent that was a leading figure in a championship promotion push so he should be good enough as well as experienced enough to say the least.

Almost. Sheffield United went up with us and went straight to the top of the First Division. As far as I remember they won all their first four games - I think one of them was at Goodison and I was actually at Highbury when they won 1-0 there. The Woodward-direct-from-a-corner goal was a few weeks after that and in the last minute of the game. It left them still top and us on the very brink of the two relegation places. You will know that we recovered and finished up just in the top half at the end of the season.

Thanks for putting me right Boc - the following season it was. I remeber being gutted that he scored so late and it was also the first time I had seen someone score directly from a corner!

Was that the same game that Tony Currie and Birch shared a kiss, or was that a season or two later? It was early in the Bloomfield era anyway.

I would think there is more consensus around the notion of dropping Dyer. One muted idea was to play Mattock there rather than Gradel and I think that would be worthy of consideration.

I would keep Dyer in the team for tonight's game to see if he can take advantage of the extra space he's likely to get away from home. But if he doesn't perform tonight I'd try something different on Saturday.

By the way, I think you mean 'mooted', not 'muted'.

I would keep Dyer in the team for tonight's game to see if he can take advantage of the extra space he's likely to get away from home. But if he doesn't perform tonight I'd try something different on Saturday.

By the way, I think you mean 'mooted', not 'muted'.

theres a few on here that should be muted :)

Was that the same game that Tony Currie and Birch shared a kiss, or was that a season or two later? It was early in the Bloomfield era anyway.

That was a few years later.

RSNS2248A_228573a.jpg

I've walked past Hartlepools ground but never been in it.Seems a cold bleak place Hartlepool.

Thanks for putting me right Boc - the following season it was. I remeber being gutted that he scored so late and it was also the first time I had seen someone score directly from a corner!

It was a season or two or three later. I don't think Birchenall would even have been at the club at that time. He joined part way through the 71/72 season; he and Weller debuted in the same game.

if memory serves me right that happened on the last day of the 1974/75season when we were thumped 4-0 at Bramall Lane

Anyone watching sky sports news to keep up with the scores tonight is in for a real treat.

The experts all have a link with LCFC. former managers Dave Basset, Ian Holloway, former coach Steve Cotterill and the man once spotted at the Walkers arriving for his interview Ian Dowie.:icon_wink

Should be a laugh a minute.

Anyone watching sky sports news to keep up with the scores tonight is in for a real treat.

The experts all have a link with LCFC. former managers Dave Basset, Ian Holloway, former coach Steve Cotterill and the man once spotted at the Walkers arriving for his interview Ian Dowie.:icon_wink

Should be a laugh a minute.

Dowie and Ollie..........the ladies wont want to miss this one:icon_lol:

I might be watching it... just remembered that I still won't be able to get commentary online :( Unless they've got rid of their DRM already! I can but hope.

If anyone finds a link that can be used by overseas fans please pm me.

Bunn

Gilbert
Elliot sorry I mean Brown
Hobbs
Mattock

Oakley
King
Berner
Dyer

Howard
Fryatt

Subs: Petney, Morrison, Cleverley, Gradel & Dickov

Score: 0-1 Lloyd Dyer

Oh wait, shit! this is tonight! Ive been thinking all day it was tomorrow night, wouldve missed this until i saw the talk of the SSN results :icon_redf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669