Help me with my dissertation! A case study of LCFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt180

I am currently a third year Criminology and Sociology B.A Hons student studying at the University of Bedfordshire. As part of my third year studies I am required to complete a ten thousand word dissertation on a Criminological or Sociological topic of my choice. I have chosen a topic that relates to the Sociology of Football module I am taking part in during this third years studies. The title of my study is “The gentrification of football fandom in Britain: A case study of Leicester City F.C.”

Gentrification of football fandom is an increase in post-fan culture and an increase in supporters of a higher socio-economic status in football crowds. The aim of my study is too gauge, using questionnaires answered by you the fans, to what extent if any gentrification is taking place at Leicester City Football Club.

If you wish to assist me in this study then I would be very grateful if you would take the time (approximately 5-10 minutes) to fill in a short questionnaire (the majority of the questions simply require you to underline an answer). If you simply p.m me your email address, or leave it in this thread I will send you a copy of the questionnaire to fill in and email back.

I have set up an email account specifically for the responses to my questionnaires, and all responses remain anonymous. The questionnaire file will be virus scanned prior to sending to avoid any virus’s etc.

Upon completion of my study, I will be happy to post the resultant findings on here so that you can see what you have contributed to.

Your time and help is much appreciated!

The gentrification of football in simple terms, is how the game is shifting from a being working class entertainment, to that of a game dominated by the middle and upper classes...in essence it is judging if the prawn sandwich brigade Roy Keane spoke of at Man Utd exist or not at leicester.

The gentrification of football in simple terms, is how the game is shifting from a being working class entertainment, to that of a game dominated by the middle and upper classes...in essence it is judging if the prawn sandwich brigade Roy Keane spoke of at Man Utd exist or not at leicester.

I think your dissertation will conclude that Leicester has more of a 'Balti pie brigade' to be honest.

I personally think you will find that the 'Prawn Sandwich Brigade' is alive and thriving down the city.

Last edited:

I know what 'gentrification of football' implies. It was 'post-fan' that baffled me.

Post fan culture implies that fans are now treated as customers, rather than fans, and hence a higher socio economic status of fan are targetted in order to maximise profit for the club. Does this help?

Last edited:
Post fan culture implies that fans are now treated as customers, rather than fans, and hence a higher socio economic status of fan are targetted in order to maximise profit for the club. Doers this help?

Yes, it doers. Thanker you.

i remember seeing a journal artical written by Dr Matthew Taylor
'Urban Development, Identity and the Rise of Football'
which may be of some use for you study. i am pretty certain the journal was Soccer and the city published in 2006

Post fan culture implies that fans are now treated as customers, rather than fans, and hence a higher socio economic status of fan are targetted in order to maximise profit for the club. Doers this help?

It does explain the term, but it doesn't make it any less of a nauseating neologism.

He could do with a look at how much do you spend on lcfc thread tbh. It takes less than 5 mins to complete, as a former uni student i know how fecking hard it is to get people to fill in questionnaires, so i hope a few of you help him out!

Im an lcfc fan and am well posh me I speak proper and everythink

Zilch, im a skint student, could maybe send you a pot noodle mate if that persuades you to fill it in?

Pot Noodle makes me fart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47