Home game v Birmingham moved for Sky TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Another Home game for TV!

3 days after the trip to Cardiff

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Stupid fecking sky, fecking us about again. Aren't we entitled to lives that involve arrangements other than City? Two or three changes a season I can accept, but this is fecking ridiculous.

Following tomorrow night, I think I can only make one more home game this season now. What a waste of a fecking season ticket.

God bless Sky!

Madness.

Highly likely that we will have 1 Saturday, 3pm game this side of 2013.

The club also are quite happy to create their own fixture congestion.

Utter, utter wank

Modern football is worse than shit

The club also are quite happy to create their own fixture congestion.

What say do the club have exactly? Sky pick the fixtures and the club get paid as a result.

It's the fans that lose out, but the club probably aren't that happy about it either.

I'd normally sympathise with the view that fans know the score and should expect some games to be moved. It does seem to have been a bit excessive this season, though. Presumably we are victims of our relative success. It's not an issue for me personally. I mean, I'd prefer as many games as possible to kick off as 3pm on a Saturday. But I can normally make it regardless. But there must be a good number for whom a season ticket becomes a waste of money because of all the moves.

What say do the club have exactly? Sky pick the fixtures and the club get paid as a result.

It's the fans that lose out, but the club probably aren't that happy about it either.

How about 'no thanks sorry Sky we want to give ourselves the best chance of going up'.

Birmingham have no game in the midweek, they will have six days break and we will instead have 72 hours.

How about 'no thanks sorry Sky'.

Not possible under the terms of the contract which the Football League has with Sky. The only people who could stop it would be the Safety Committee and we all know that they are paid by Sky.

Well that's bollocks then (towards SKY and the FL), bit like Newcastle earlier this season when they had to do Thursday and Saturday games.

Just checked that Tigers were at home that weekend, they are but playing on the Sunday.

Should the Football League rethink its TV policy?
Posted on 18/02/2013 by foxblogger
The news that a ninth Leicester City league game of the season has been picked by Sky Sports for live television coverage has sparked a lot of anger amongst fans.

To get a sense of the response this evening’s Football Forum is well worth a listen.

Most of the fury has been directed at Sky, below are the games they have been moved this season listed by kick-off times.

Thurs 7:45
Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)

Fri 7:45
Middlesbrough (H)
Millwall (H)
Birmingham City (H)

Sat 12:45
Nottingham Forest (H)

Sat 5:20
Blackpool (H)
Derby County (H)
Derby County (A)

Sun 1:30
Wolverhampton Wanderers (A)

So just two of Leicester City’s remaining home games are now scheduled to kick-off at 3 p.m. on a Saturday. That could fall to one should the Foxes’ final home match with Watford look juicy enough to tempt to the TV executives.

The upside is that Leicester have benefitted from useful TV revenues and worldwide exposure. Championship football is broadcast in every corner of the globe.

The downside is many fans will miss the rearranged game for all sorts of perfectly valid reasons – and no amount of HD or surround sound can make up for actually being there.

This isn’t something new. Leicester have been shown live on TV about 10 times a season for the last four years. What is different this year is the very strong 7:2 ratio of home to away games selected for TV coverage.

At the start of the season season ticket holders saw a fixture list which promised 17 home Saturday 3 p.m kick-offs. Thanks to Sky TV picks (and in one instance the selection of a Tigers game for a Saturday evening kick-off, meaning City had to play on the Sunday) the maximum is now 8.

Whilst it’s clear that no club happy to take the shilling of the broadcasters can expect its fixtures to be left alone – it might be sensible for future TV deals to include a maximum number of games in which a team can be shown.

Indeed, this already happens in the Premier League, where Sky and ESPN can only show each club a certain number of times on their respective channels.

Right now Sky is obliged to show one match from every Championship ground each season, but there is no maximum. It might be sensible to implement one.

At the moment fans desperate for more Saturday 3 p.m. kick-offs have one bit of good news. Next season the Football League will start its competitions on the first weekend of August to accommodate an extra Saturday game. That, it might interest you to know, was at the request of the clubs.

As alluded to in the blog to an extent, the anger seems to be mis-directed. Sky have a responsibility to their shareholders to maximise profits which, in part, is done by showing the most popular games of football. It's the contract which the Football League negotiated that should have put in relevant safeguards (e.g. max home games moved), as their responsibility is to their members and to the fans.

As alluded to in the blog to an extent, the anger seems to be mis-directed. Sky have a responsibility to their shareholders to maximise profits which, in part, is done by showing the most popular games of football. It's the contract which the Football League negotiated that should have put in relevant safeguards (e.g. max home games moved), as their responsibility is to their members and to the fans.

Did the clubs lobby the Football League for these 'relevant safeguards' to be included in the contract? Or did they just say, "Get as much money as you can"?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Sky are pricks

The Football League are pricks

The football club is a prick

Many of the fans are pricks

The weather is a prick

Yet we still lap it up....

Sky are pricks

The Football League are pricks

The football club is a prick

Many of the fans are pricks

The weather is a prick