How Are People Feeling Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just what is the crack with you desperately trying to shoehorn a made up word into every post?

Did someone make-up the whole English language? And the French, Spannish, Italian etc. :102: They didn't just wake up one day and suddenly know how to speak a language!!

Just what is the craic with you getting so wound up by a Irish slang word?

Why? They're just caffeine tablets, might keep you awake but would do ****all for a flu.

Sorry not a pharmasist, just knew it was some tablet thing. Don't do legal drugs! ;)

Did someone make-up the whole English language? And the French, Spannish, Italian etc. :102: They didn't just wake up one day and suddenly know how to speak a language!!

What??? :102:

Just what is the craic with you getting so wound up by a Irish slang word?

The crack is that it isn't an Irish slang word, for ****sake!

It is an English word that some media arseholes decided would look good on Guinness adverts & pub signs by spelling it as if it were an Irish word.
It makes me, and most of the Irish nation, cringe whenever I see it spelt like that. It is right up there with glittery shamrocks & leprechauns.

It is an English word, you are typing your post in English, arguably, so why would you revert to a wanky, insulting spelling of an English word midsentence?

What??? :102:

The crack is that it isn't an Irish slang word, for ****sake!

It is an English word that some media arseholes decided would look good on Guinness adverts & pub signs by spelling it as if it were an Irish word.
It makes me, and most of the Irish nation, cringe whenever I see it spelt like that. It is right up there with glittery shamrocks & leprechauns.

It is an English word, you are typing your post in English, arguably, so why would you revert to a wanky, insulting spelling of an English word midsentence?

Well for the 21 years that I have been alive and lived in England, I have never herd anyone used the word 'crack' in the sense that 'craic' is ment. I have however herd it used excessively in the past 3 years of my life since I have been living with 2 people from the North of Ireland, and have recieve msgs from them within this time period with it spelt and ment craic.

This is why I have used it in this sense, and spelt it that way.

Incidently, the Oxford Dictionary lists 'crack', but does not give an example of the use of it, in the sense that craic is used. Therefore I will trust the Oxford Dictionary to provide me with knowledge of the English language and not some random, unknown from a website forum.

Your opinion may be that I am mis using the word and even mis spelling it, but do my friend, keep up with the times, words get 'invented' all the time as times change and also meanings change as well.

Im not saying that I am right or that you are right, just that we will have different opinions on the craic of this subject.

EDIT - can't get link function to work!!

Last edited:
eight years in belfast i never heard anybody ever use that term.
first time i ever seen it wasnt written on a wall in irish theme pub

It is an Anglo-Saxon word, loosely, meaning something good or fun.

As in: "He is a crack shot"; "We had a cracking time".

wikipedia have an interesting article on it.

It is an Anglo-Saxon word, loosely, meaning something good or fun.

As in: "He is a crack shot"; "We had a cracking time".

wikipedia have an interesting article on it.

Wikipedia - somewhere where anyone can post an article!! And all of the article uses both spellings of the word!! Did note that it mentioned that its not used in Dublin, but it is in Ulster regions in the North, this is probs why I have seen it written as I spell it.

I fear this is one of them never ending discussion topics and I really can't be bothered with it as it is pretty pointless. Its only one word, and I have more improtant things to be getting on with now.

Did you not read that link I provided you from the UrbanDictionary?

Last edited:
Wikipedia - somewhere where anyone can post an article!! And all of the article uses both spellings of the word!! Did note that it mentioned that its not used in Dublin, but it is in Ulter regions in the North, this is probs why I have seen it written as I spell it.

I fear this is one of them never ending discussion topics and I really can't be bothered with it as it is pretty pointless. Its only one word, and I have more improtant things to be getting on with now.

is that like narnia :102: :icon_lol:

here you go........

[T]he spelling craic causes serious nausea among intelligent people. This glib spelling of the word was invented in the 1970s ... it is the context of the use of the (recent, modern) Irish spelling of the word that is the issue - if craic is to be used, it should be used while writing in the Irish language, OR placed in parentheses or in italics when writing in English. I stress that this is a word which was NEVER in the Irish language (but cráic, meaning arsehole, or creac, meaning herd, are). ... I grew up using the word in the 1950s. When I went to Dublin (from Ulster) in 1968 NOBODY I met in Dublin used 'crack' ... 'Crack' only began to be used with the influx of northerners and in the context of music, it travelled with northern influence (at the fleadh cheoil, etc) until southern people began to believe that they had invented it. Ciaran Carson is particular enraged by the craic spelling, so too Desi Wilkinson and many other otherwise tolerant souls.

Last edited:
This crack is very moreish. (Super Hans - Peep Show)

And it is Friday by the way because I have tomorrow off. HAJHAHAHAHAHA!

Wikipedia - somewhere where anyone can post an article!! And all of the article uses both spellings of the word!! Did note that it mentioned that its not used in Dublin, but it is in Ulster regions in the North, this is probs why I have seen it written as I spell it.

Did you not read that link I provided you from the UrbanDictionary?

Is that the same urbandictionary where anybody can invent new words & anybody is allowed to add definitions to those words?
As opposed to wikipedia which is heavily moderated & all additions have to be substantiated.
The wikipedia article uses both spellings to make the point that 'craic' is a gaelisised spelling of the English word 'crack'.

My grandfather is a native Irish speaker, it is his first language, and he almost spits his false teeth out when he sees the word spelt 'craic' in either an Irish or an English sentence.
Interestingly, he does use the word 'crack' in conversation when he is speaking English, badly, but not when he is speaking as gaeilge.

here you go........

[T]he spelling craic causes serious nausea among intelligent people. This glib spelling of the word was invented in the 1970s ... it is the context of the use of the (recent, modern) Irish spelling of the word that is the issue - if craic is to be used, it should be used while writing in the Irish language, OR placed in parentheses or in italics when writing in English. I stress that this is a word which was NEVER in the Irish language (but cráic, meaning arsehole, or creac, meaning herd, are). ... I grew up using the word in the 1950s. When I went to Dublin (from Ulster) in 1968 NOBODY I met in Dublin used 'crack' ... 'Crack' only began to be used with the influx of northerners and in the context of music, it travelled with northern influence (at the fleadh cheoil, etc) until southern people began to believe that they had invented it. Ciaran Carson is particular enraged by the craic spelling, so too Desi Wilkinson and many other otherwise tolerant souls.

Thats what I read, and pretty much backs up my use of the word craic. Both of my housemates are from Derry, which is an Ulster region and probs 2nd City in the North. And would explain their use of the word craic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Tottenham 610
9Brighton69