How do you solve a crisis of confidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly what you do not do in a crisis is call a "clear the air" meeting. People are asked to speak frankly (always to be avoided in meetings with colleagues) and when they do it leads to lasting rancour. Avoid that at all costs.

What you do is to have a quiet one-to-one word with the experienced professionals. People "on the shop floor" are a great resource. Nigel should approach people like Konch, Nugent, Dyer and above all captain Wes Morgan. These have seen all sorts of crises and will have insights that management never have. If nothing else having their opinion listened to respectfully will give them a boost and I expect those four have alot of influence in the dressing room.

The puzzle is that this bad run has come when we have better players than when Pearson came and "the bad apples" have gone.

If Pearson had the ability to restore confidence then he would have done so by now.

I imagine that a key issue is that the players are either knackered or believe that they are knackered. For example they were able to raise their game and put on a show at Cardiff (as I expected) but were lifeless a few days later at Derby (as I also expected).

I don't normally favour bringing in sports psychologists/ motivators but in this instance it might be worth it because I have no faith whatsoever in Pearson and his "I'm a scrapper" and digging deep etc etc. Pearson needs to accept and understand that he is part of the problem and needs some help himself to be able to be an agent in the solution.

Interesting point Hazza.I was unaware of those figures but poss explains our position in auto spot.God we are a big club with spending like that.

I think they all need a cuddle.

I'll volunteer to do it. Apart from Konchesky, he scares me.

Not sure about that ..if my helpful suggestion about a therapist/ motivator doesn't work than I have always thought that violence is an under used tool in management.

The owner there has been quite loyal towards managers over the years, which hasn't been appreciated by many fans.

Owners eh!Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Only fans I'm laughing at, at the moment is the Blackburn fans.
As the saying goes "Be careful what you wish for. "

Maybe our "fans" should take heed

Owners eh!Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Only fans I'm laughing at, at the moment is the Blackburn fans.
As the saying goes "Be careful what you wish for. "

Maybe our "fans" should take heed

And Wolves. Moreso with them actually as their owners aren't quite as inept.

And Wolves. Moreso with them actually as their owners aren't quite as inept.

Very true, if they had have kept hold of Mick M, they may have still been in the top flight.
A big IF, I know, but it's a funny ol' game, init ;)

Maybe this whole "crisis of confidence" thing could benefit from a somewhat radical solution.Like being made aware that as professional footballers they are in a position envied by millions,get paid vast wages for doing very little actual work & occupy a nice cosy little bubble,insulated completely from a currently ravaged economy that is giving the majority of the rest of the population a very ****ing genuine dose of crisis.Call it Perspective Therapy & point out that in any other career,telling your boss that you are suffering from a crisis of confidence would result in you being referred for help to the therapeutic professionals down at Jobcentre Plus.

Stop whining like a bunch of ****ing 8 year olds & get your shit together you bunch of entitled,weak minded,over compensated ****s.

Maybe this whole "crisis of confidence" thing could benefit from a somewhat radical solution.Like being made aware that as professional footballers they are in a position envied by millions,get paid vast wages for doing very little actual work & occupy a nice cosy little bubble,insulated completely from a currently ravaged economy that is giving the majority of the rest of the population a very ****ing genuine dose of crisis.Call it Perspective Therapy & point out that in any other career,telling your boss that you are suffering from a crisis of confidence would result in you being referred for help to the therapeutic professionals down at Jobcentre Plus.

Stop whining like a bunch of ****ing 8 year olds & get your shit together you bunch of entitled,weak minded,over compensated ****s.

....and so say all of us :)

Want sympathy, look in the dictionary somewhere between shit and syphillis

Last edited by a moderator:

That's enough about the teachers, can we get back to football now please?

Well, the answer clearly isn't take the players to Portugal for a few days and pretend nothing much was wrong.

Reflecting on this season, our lack of confidence has been present throughout the season, in good times and bad. We're a pretty decent side when we go in front in the first half of a game. It settles the players and they compete effectively and retain possession well. However, if we concede first or are drawing at half time, we're diabolical. We also routinely display a complete inability to change the way a game is going in our favour or recover if anything goes against us.

There is something to be said for the lack of experience in the squad. We have too many young players. We're also lacking bite and aggression and we need more of this sort to get on better in this league next season. Much will depend on the personality and style of our new manager too.

What is important for August is that we don't completely implode over the next seven games because such a horrific run often carries into pre-season and a new season.

The biggest concern I have is that our big chance was this season and I expect the teams relegated into the Championship to be much stronger next time round. I think a number of our younger players will be scarred and damaged by the complete collapse of this season and we'll need several new faces with experience and brains to carry us for a while until some of them recover. I'm thinking about the likes of Wood, Marshall and Drinkwater.

Last edited:
Well, the answer clearly isn't take the players to Portugal for a few days and pretend nothing much was wrong..........The biggest concern I have is that our big chance was this season and I expect the teams relegated into the Championship to be much stronger next time round. I think a number of our younger players will be scarred and damaged by the complete collapse of this season and we'll need several new faces with experience and brains to carry us for a while until some of them recover. I'm thinking about the likes of Wood, Marshall and Drinkwater.
Yeah, Dubai is where it's at.As for missed chances, I thought we missed our chance last season. Who would have thought Bolton,Blackpool and Blackburn would be so ineffective this season. All teams have bad runs. I have the tee shirt concession.Nigel has earned the right to see the season out. Chin up.

Threaten to bring in MO'N - that'll do it.

Last edited:
Keep the faith!

155795_559465207419473_1616041663_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00