How do you solve a crisis of confidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly what you do not do in a crisis is call a "clear the air" meeting. People are asked to speak frankly (always to be avoided in meetings with colleagues) and when they do it leads to lasting rancour. Avoid that at all costs.

What you do is to have a quiet one-to-one word with the experienced professionals. People "on the shop floor" are a great resource. Nigel should approach people like Konch, Nugent, Dyer and above all captain Wes Morgan. These have seen all sorts of crises and will have insights that management never have. If nothing else having their opinion listened to respectfully will give them a boost and I expect those four have alot of influence in the dressing room.

The puzzle is that this bad run has come when we have better players than when Pearson came and "the bad apples" have gone.

Good plan. Anybody know what Timmy Mallett is at these days? He'd be ideal.
No chance, he's an Oxford United fan. I'll tell you who is a Leicester fan, apparently, despite having no obvious connections to the city: Lembit Opik. Now that's a celebrity.

No chance, he's an Oxford United fan. I'll tell you who is a Leicester fan, apparently, despite having no obvious connections to the city: Lembit Opik. Now that's a celebrity.

What about Rusty Lee? She could be our very own Delia.

Ping pong

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray is hoping table tennis can rescue his team's promotion hopes after just one win in nine.

He told the Northern Echo: "We've started a table tennis tournament in the changing room.

"It's actually Kieron Dyer's doing and he's probably the worst player."That's actually got all the lads together in a good way and it's little things like that which might help us get out of this rut."

Ping pong

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray is hoping table tennis can rescue his team's promotion hopes after just one win in nine.

He told the Northern Echo: "We've started a table tennis tournament in the changing room.

"It's actually Kieron Dyer's doing and he's probably the worst player."That's actually got all the lads together in a good way and it's little things like that which might help us get out of this rut."

How come they haven't sacked their manager?
At one stage they were above us, and now they are outside the play off places with a mountain to climb!

Good point HTB. People will likely say it's about the money at our disposal; I say cockadoooooooooo

Ping pong

At one stage they were above us, and now they are outside the play off places with a mountain to climb!
Also up shit creek, but now they have a paddle?

People will likely say it's about the money at our disposal; I say cockadoooooooooo

My gut feeling on the managerial position is that the owners have weighed up the probable expenditure in a dismissal (which would be considerable if you take Nige and all of his staff) and they have thought it's really not worth it. In many ways that money being our disposal is to become our curse. Have the Thai's realised that they can not sustain the spending as they are doing so current?

Just spoke to a work colleague and it's noticeable how his attitude has gone from 'I'd expect him gone' to 'he must go'. From having a reasoned debate with him, it's now an one-way argument against the manager.

Last edited:
My gut feeling on the managerial position is that the owners have weighed up the probable expenditure in a dismissal (which would be considerable if you take Nige and all of his staff) and they have thought it's really not worth it. In many ways that money being our disposal is to become our curse. Have the Thai's realised that they can not sustain the spending as they are doing so current?

Just spoke to a work colleague and it's noticeable how his attitude has gone from 'I'd expect him gone' to 'he must go'. From having a reasoned debate with him, it's now an one-way argument against the manager.

Good sense. But there are not too many rational arguments at this point for sacking Pearson. The expectation is now that we will fail to reach the play offs on the basis that we are nosediving whilst our rivals for 5th and 6th places have momentum. However, should Pearson be able to inspire a revival then good on him. If he doesn't and I'm almost inclined to say when he doesn't he is sacked anyway.

There are one or two signs that Pearson has belatedly (as in after 7.10 pm on Saturday) recognised that his approach is not working but he has left it very late indeed to desist from poor practice like deploying the unfortunate Vardy and bringing in and playing a kid to please Spurs.

For those of us with a macabre personality then its going to be a fascinating 6 weeks or so.

"Work hard" and "grafting through it" is not going to cut it, Nigel.

We need much more "redoubling" taking place.

"Work hard" and "grafting through it" is not going to cut it, Nigel.

We need much more "redoubling" taking place.

If we redouble the utter shit being churned out at the moment we'll be swimming in it.

The owner there has been quite loyal towards managers over the years, which hasn't been appreciated by many fans.

Don"t think expectations were as high at Boro(do not compare your spending with theirs in past 2 years or you will all be far more aware of the jinx)

Don"t think expectations were as high at Boro(do not compare your spending with theirs in past 2 years or you will all be far more aware of the jinx)

They did initially when relegated.

Interesting to note though cafe.

transfermarkt.com seems to think Hull's transfer dealings are £7.1 million expenditure. Whilst ours was £2.5 million expenditure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00