How to bring stablility with players & manager leaving...

Status
Not open for further replies.

consty

Long title I know!

Whilst stability is something to aspire for at some point, there are a couple of facts of life that will happen in the short term that will produce turbulance rather than stability in the immediate future. After this turbulance & it's attendant changes are over with, this is when we can hope to see some stability. The short term changes that can and will happen are:
1) departure of Ian Holloway (of which I approve)
2) departure of many players including our best - a 'fact of life' we cannot do anything about (in the case of the good players). The departure of 2 or 3 of our best is to be regreted, but we have to get on and do something about it & not at all regret any of the others leaving - in fact any of the other 'failed' players should be helped to leave (Fryatt, Howard + several others). It's best for us (& them) that they go.

My main point is that we must not on any account replace, say, 10 or so departing players by signing 10 or so new ones. The new manager must promote 5 or 6 of the kids to the first team & bring in only 4 or 5 new players - the best that MM's money/in-coming transfer funds (from Mattock/Stearman etc) can buy that are willing to come to division 1.

By all accounts enough of the kids are probably good enough - remember this is division 1 we are talking about, not top 6 championship. And the kids are certainly hungry enough. The potential for stability is there - players already on the books who are motivated to be here and do well for this club. If they do well they can build on that through the campaign and into the following season(s). Under a decent manager, this is a recipe for success. 12-15 new players a season doesn't work. Adams did it, Allen did it - and even Holloway repeated it to a similar degree (in pro rata terms for half a season)

Last edited:
Fcuk stability, let's have some improvement first.

that's what I'm talking about - let's clear out all the rubbish (managers & players) and rebuild from there. Stability ensues if they get it right: manager, 'promoted' reserves, & new recruits.

that's what I'm talking about - let's clear out all the rubbish (managers & players) and rebuild from there. Stability ensues if they get it right: manager, 'promoted' reserves, & new recruits.

Then why didn't you say that ? Are you a bus driver ?

Decent post Consty and some sensible and valid points but would Milan be prepared to gamble winning automatic promotion with a bunch of relatively untried kids, it would be a massive risk and not one that I think he would be prepared to take, but that is just IMO.

I would not be surprised to see Milan sell as many players as he possibly can, then try to attract the best bosman players available, who are prepared to drop to this level, offer big wages (by league one standards) but on one year deals and try and blitz our way out of the league at the first attempt.

Long title I know!

Whilst stability is something to aspire for at some point, there are a couple of facts of life that will happen in the short term that will produce turbulance rather than stability in the immediate future. After this turbulance & it's attendant changes are over with, this is when we can hope to see some stability. The short term changes that can and will happen are:
1) departure of Ian Holloway (of which I approve)
2) departure of many players including our best - a 'fact of life' we cannot do anything about (in the case of the good players). The departure of 2 or 3 of our best is to be regreted, but we have to get on and do something about it & not at all regret any of the others leaving - in fact any of the other 'failed' players should be helped to leave (Fryatt, Howard + several others). It's best for us (& them) that they go.

My main point is that we must not on any account replace, say, 10 or so departing players by signing 10 or so new ones. The new manager must promote 5 or 6 of the kids to the first team & bring in only 4 or 5 new players - the best that MM's money/in-coming transfer funds (from Mattock/Stearman etc) can buy that are willing to come to division 1.

By all accounts enough of the kids are probably good enough - remember this is division 1 we are talking about, not top 6 championship. And the kids are certainly hungry enough. The potential for stability is there - players already on the books who are motivated to be here and do well for this club. If they do well they can build on that through the campaign and into the following season(s). Under a decent manager, this is a recipe for success. 12-15 new players a season doesn't work. Adams did it, Allen did it - and even Holloway repeated it to a similar degree (in pro rata terms for half a season)

Certainly a basis from which to start rebuilding the Club. We need to get the Managerial part right though. :icon_bigg :icon_conf :icon_wink

Decent post Consty and some sensible and valid points but would Milan be prepared to gamble winning automatic promotion with a bunch of relatively untried kids, it would be a massive risk and not one that I think he would be prepared to take, but that is just IMO.

I would not be surprised to see Milan sell as many players as he possibly can, then try to attract the best bosman players available, who are prepared to drop to this level, offer big wages (by league one standards) but on one year deals and try and blitz our way out of the league at the first attempt.

I fear you may well be right re the bosman recruitment strategy... look how this '1 year bosman' approach failed with Fowler & Hasslebaink at Cardiff though. MM tried to get them. I just don't want to see 10-12 new players come in. I feel that Beswick, Cox, Mckay, King, Weslowski, Chambers, Gradel etc are good enough to be given their chance. Maybe Jon Hayes too.

Last edited:
I fear you may well be right... look how this '1 year bosman' approach failed with Fowler & Hasslebaink at Cardiff though. MM tried to get them. I just don't want to see 10-12 new players come in. I feel that Beswick, Cox, Mckay, King, Weslowski, Chambers, Gradel etc are good enough. Maybe Jon Hayes too.

In fairness though Cardiff finished in mid table and reached the FA Cup Final, if only our transfer policy had delivered such failure :icon_lol:

A lot will depend on whether Mandaric genuinely wants to rebuild the club or whether he is satisfied to make the same mistakes that have been made for several years now and goes for a quick-fix.

Re-building team:

Henderson

Stearman
Worley
McAulay/Kisnorbo (hopefully we have one of the two)
LB (I don't believe we will have Mattock)

Gradel
Oakley
Clemence
Porter

Hume
Sappleton

In fairness though Cardiff finished in mid table and reached the FA Cup Final, if only our transfer policy had delivered such failure :icon_lol:

fair point; a decent manager at LCFC should have got us to around mid-table as well. (Not sure if JFH's and RF's main contribution was to drain the wages budget and not much more!)

My main hope is that we don't see 12 or so new players arriving. I'd like to see the elevation of the kids to the first team supplemented by 4 or 5 good signings. But for that we'll need a good manager and a good motivator.

Don't get this fascination with Sappleton,how many goals did he score in the Reserves ?

Would be amazed if we keep Stearman, Clem and / or Oakley.

Most likely rebuilding line up would be :

Hendo or Logan

J Chambers
Worley
AN Other
Sheehan

Gradel
Weso
AN Other
Porter

Hume
Fryatt

I think that you're right. The only way that I can see some consistency is for the youth to be given its head. If, along with that we can keep/sign a couple of wise old heads, then we may see the phoenix at last putting in an appearance.

Holloway said it all "culture of defeat" and "no leadership". These issues need to be addressed just as much as the building the team . No good bringing on or in new players if the culture is that of defeat and/or we have nobody capable of leading the team from the front even when its really tough.

Changing attitude and culture is not done with a two week training course. This sort of change is a slow growing bloom and the seeds need sowing months in advance. You show its changing with your own behaviour and the role model you present. I don't think Holloway can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669