How's the squad shaping up?

7th new signing purpose built for the structure EM wants.

Hermansen
X Coady Doyle
X Winks
Akgun Casadei X Mavididi
X

If you add in Ricardo, Faes, Dewsbury-Hall and Iheanacho, that's currently looking like his first choice side.

Then you have Stolarczyk, Justin, Vestergaard, Nelson, Choudhury, Ndidi, Praet, Albrighton, Marcal, McAteer and Vardy who appear to be onside with the set up and/or have been praised by EM.

We probably need about three more in. We can afford to add a couple more loans into a matchday squad.

That leaves Ward, Iversen, Souttar, Kristiansen, Thomas, Castagne, Soumare and Daka to move out this week.

Loans 'R Us.

7th new signing purpose built for the structure EM wants.

Hermansen
X Coady Doyle
X Winks
Akgun Casadei X Mavididi
X

If you add in Ricardo, Faes, Dewsbury-Hall and Iheanacho, that's currently looking like his first choice side.

Then you have Stolarczyk, Justin, Vestergaard, Nelson, Choudhury, Ndidi, Praet, Albrighton, Marcal, McAteer and Vardy who appear to be onside with the set up and/or have been praised by EM.

We probably need about three more in. We can afford to add a couple more loans into a matchday squad.

That leaves Ward, Iversen, Souttar, Kristiansen, Thomas, Castagne, Soumare and Daka to move out this week.

Loans 'R Us.
Loan anyone not out of contract next year and sell the rest for whatever you can get.

We know the players that have been frozen out by EM. But what about interest in those that have been part of things this season?

Word on the street is that there is interest in a couple of players EM has been using / talking up. Any of the following you wouldn't be prepared to lose?

Namely: Justin, Faes, Ricardo, Vestergaard, Albrighton, Thomas, Choudhury, Dewsbury-Hall, Ndidi, Praet, Vardy, Iheanacho.

The ones in bold are in their final year anyway.

We know the players that have been frozen out by EM. But what about interest in those that have been part of things this season?

Word on the street is that there is interest in a couple of players EM has been using / talking up. Any of the following you wouldn't be prepared to lose?

Namely: Justin, Faes, Ricardo, Vestergaard, Albrighton, Thomas, Choudhury, Dewsbury-Hall, Ndidi, Praet, Vardy, Iheanacho.

I think we need to keep (of those in bold), Vestergaard, Vardy and Iheanacho. Unless of course replacements can be found. With regards to Vardy I think we need his positive influence in and around the squad. I am presuming he is a positive influence of course!

Ricardo, Faes and Nacho need to stay, since they are so heavily involved.

Suspect Albrighton and Vardy are important behind the scenes.

Vardy is of much, much more importance than just influence. He completely changes games when he comes on. It's no coincidence that we are scoring late winners after bringing him on to disturb defences. He's been fantastic so far this season.

If any of Praet, Thomas, Albrighton, Choudhury or Ndidi left, I'd be none to bothered. The rest, we cant really afford to lose if we want to mount a challenge unless we have replacements for those positions coming in.

Any news on Braybrook? I thought he looked quite tidy on the occasions he was played over the last two years. I was hopeful he would have been able to force his way into the squad, how bad was his injury?

Any news on Braybrook? I thought he looked quite tidy on the occasions he was played over the last two years. I was hopeful he would have been able to force his way into the squad, how bad was his injury?

Braybrooke was due to begin light training about now. With him and Alves, I think we're talking another three months before they're ready.

I just heard about the links between Akgun and Maresca. Namely, that Maresca was assistant to Montella at Sevilla and Montella managed Akgun a couple of years ago.

That tells me that Maresca has a proactive role in recruitment. We've already been told that the reason we signed Casadei was due to the Italian link and Maresca had set his sights on Casadei immediately after joining us. Then there is Doyle who played for Maresca at Man City.

To counter these deals, both Coady and Winks talked about being linked with us from very early on. Well before Maresca was appointed.

Hermansen and Mavididi both appear to be 'type' signings in that they are purpose built players for the system Maresca wants.

The Maresca initiated deals are the ones that interest me. We've clearly been badly hit in the past by allowing managers to have free reign over transfers. Our success was always based on having a highly accomplished analytics department which was built by Pearson and Walsh and guided us through until we abandoned it under Rodgers.

My expectation this summer was that we would revert back to our tried and tested model of signing based on analytics alongside the 'type' requested by the manager. However, the evidence of signing players personally linked to Maresca suggest not.

I just heard about the links between Akgun and Maresca. Namely, that Maresca was assistant to Montella at Sevilla and Montella managed Akgun a couple of years ago.

That tells me that Maresca has a proactive role in recruitment. We've already been told that the reason we signed Casadei was due to the Italian link and Maresca had set his sights on Casadei immediately after joining us. Then there is Doyle who played for Maresca at Man City.

To counter these deals, both Coady and Winks talked about being linked with us from very early on. Well before Maresca was appointed.

Hermansen and Mavididi both appear to be 'type' signings in that they are purpose built players for the system Maresca wants.

The Maresca initiated deals are the ones that interest me. We've clearly been badly hit in the past by allowing managers to have free reign over transfers. Our success was always based on having a highly accomplished analytics department which was built by Pearson and Walsh and guided us through until we abandoned it under Rodgers.

My expectation this summer was that we would revert back to our tried and tested model of signing based on analytics alongside the 'type' requested by the manager. However, the evidence of signing players personally linked to Maresca suggest not.
Maybe Enzo has to prove to the 'board' why he wants such and such a player, rather than just having 'carte blanche ' like ****chops did.

Which ever way, the recruits so far seem a better fit than the previous incumbents attempts

I can only presume that it is a joint approach. The likes of Coady and Winks from the scouting team, supplemented by players that Maresca knows can do a job for us. To add, is it worth noting that the Maresca signings are mostly loans?

I can only presume that it is a joint approach. The likes of Coady and Winks from the scouting team, supplemented by players that Maresca knows can do a job for us. To add, is it worth noting that the Maresca signings are mostly loans?
No, I don’t think that’s worth noting

Going to have a guess at our 25 man squad:

Goalies:
Hermansen
Stolacyzk
Ward

Defenders:
Coady
Faes
Doyle
Vestergaard
Justin
Ricardo
Harwood-Bellis

Midfielders:
Winks
Dewsbury-Hall
Praet
Casadei
Choudhury
Another midfielder (Chair?)
Albrighton

Attackers:
Vardy
Nacho
Mcateer
Mavididi
Akgun
Issahaku

Marcal, Nelson, Braybrooke, and hopefully Alves to be youth options.

For me, we definitely need an extra body in midfield, and it feels a bit light up front.

Last edited:
Our preferred starting 11 would look like:

Hermansen

Ricardo
Coady
Faes
Doyle

Winks

Casadei
KDH

Akgun
Nacho
Mavididi

Update: 17 now out, 7 in.

Gone: Amartey, Tielemans, Soyuncu, Suengchitthawon, Bertrand, Maddison, Tete, Perez, Barnes, Hirst, Leshabala, Eppiah, Mendy, Evans, Castagne, Kristiansen, Brunt

In: Coady, Winks, Doyle, Hermansen, Akgun, Casadei, Mavididi

Current squad:

GK - Hermansen, Iversen, Ward, Stolarczyk, Smithies, Young

DEF - Justin, Ricardo, Thomas, Spencer-Adams, Faes, Coady, Souttar, Doyle, Vestergaard, Flynn, Nelson

MID - Dewsbury-Hall, Winks, Soumare, Choudhury, Albrighton, Ndidi, Praet, McAteer, Marcal, Casadei, Akgun, Mavididi

FOR - Daka, Iheanacho, Vardy

Update: 18 now out, 8 in.

Gone: Amartey, Tielemans, Soyuncu, Suengchitthawon, Bertrand, Maddison, Tete, Perez, Barnes, Hirst, Leshabala, Eppiah, Mendy, Evans, Castagne, Kristiansen, Brunt, Thomas

In: Coady, Winks, Doyle, Hermansen, Akgun, Casadei, Mavididi, Fatawu

Current squad:

GK - Hermansen, Iversen, Ward, Stolarczyk, Smithies, Young

DEF - Justin, Ricardo, Spencer-Adams*, Faes, Coady, Souttar, Doyle, Vestergaard, Flynn*, Nelson

MID - Dewsbury-Hall, Winks, Soumare, Choudhury, Albrighton, Ndidi, Praet, McAteer, Marcal, Casadei, Akgun, Mavididi, Fatawu

FOR - Daka, Iheanacho, Vardy

*Spencer-Adams and Flynn may not be at the club any more - no mention of either anywhere.

Iversen
Ward
Vestergaard/Souttar
Soumare
Praet
Daka

Ndidi
Iheanacho

Still plenty more to go, I'd keep the bottom 2 but they are probably the most likely to leave before the weekend.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663