Post Match Hull 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday night moan in (and it will be ) should be interesting.
Last season it was more often about "could we do it". Monday night will probably be back to the likes of Monday nights during our first season in the Premier League.

It was clear today how much both Kante and Okazaki allowed Drinkwater to shine last season.

Shinji was missed but if Vardy takes the chances Musa laid on for him no one would mention it

Midfield is a concern.

Defence is a concern

One hindsight thought:

The entire spine of the side was unsettled. Hernandez replacing Huth, King for Kante and Musa for Shinji. In addition removing the stability that Albrighton provides. Perhaps a little too much change, though some of it obviously required.

Claudio probably thought he could get away with it against Hull...we obviously didn't.

I think you're almost spot on here. Many seemed pleased with the line up but it really surprised me. It stank of a manager and team that believed that they just had to turn up to win.

4-2-4 with King as one of the two - which is essentially what we played - is totally unlike Ranieri. It it a disrespectful selection.

The only thing I'd challenge in your post is the sudden reinvention of Albrighton. He was absolutely shocking last week and in no way deserved to start the season. I'd have started the missing Schlupp fella myself. He gives us both solidity and pace going forward but we appear to have forgotten his qualities.

I think you're almost spot on here. Many seemed pleased with the line up but it really surprised me. It stank of a manager and team that believed that they just had to turn up to win.

4-2-4 with King as one of the two - which is essentially what we played - is totally unlike Ranieri. It it a disrespectful selection.

The only thing I'd challenge in your post is the sudden reinvention of Albrighton. He was absolutely shocking last week and in no way deserved to start the season. I'd have started the missing Schlupp fella myself. He gives us both solidity and pace going forward but we appear to have forgotten his qualities.
he's asked to join WBA, Claudio rated him but could guarantee him a starting birth

I go away on a short break - leave my Leicester City shirt at home - and this is the best you lot can do in my absence?
Must say - it brings a measure of comfort as it feels like we have rediscovered the City of old.
PS And to the players - give those bloody fancy cars back.
PPS Owners, better get the monks in for the first home game…. we will need them

Certainly Schlupp would have been an option, but we've sold him.

In hindsight I really think the lineup did whiff a bit of "well we will dick these". Though I can understand the instinct of wanting to get on top of them as soon as possible.

Ive also been baffled with why he hasn't played Wes and Hernandez together more in preseason knowing we would be without Huth this week. It literally looked at times as though Hernandez had no idea where Morgan was and where he was supposed to be. Again, slight bit of "oh, we will get through Hull and then sort it".

Again, easy to say all this now I suppose. Just a bit of a sad performance really...played in to every stereotype: flash cars, dodgy preseason, loads of wonga flying about, and a loss of the hunger that did us so well.

One game, and probably an important one to set realistic expectations. On we go.

"Sudden reinvention"? Complete horseshit.

I said time and time again last season he was our most underrated player. He gave the side so much balance - he allowed Mahrez to go forward from the other wing without compromising our midfield shape by holding back, he gave our defence so much cover. He got a silly number of tackles and interceptions in last season for a winger and he was always the first on the scene to cut out opposition counter attackers and force the opposition to slow their play down allowing us to get back into shape so, so often.

From an attacking of view, he was comfortably our top chance creator last season (even ahead of Mahrez) and could quite easily have got just as many assists as Mahrez last season if players had taken his chances more (assists are as much about the attacker as the creator - and I can think of quite a few times last season when we hit the woodwork, skewed sitters etc. of chances he created).

He was the best defensive winger in the country last season - he created the most chances of any English player in any position in the PL season - he got in more tackles and interceptions than any English winger last season, only that England still has this prejudices that certain players have to do certain things and wingers have to be attackers. I hate to use this cliche, but if he was playing in Italy where the defensive winger is appreciated, he'd be rated so, so much higher.

And it was no coincidence either that the moment he came into the side the season before we were looking certain for relegation and then started winning and didn't stop! Since he joined us 2 years ago, our win% in games Marc Albrighton has played vs. game's he hasn't must be utterly insane. He gives us so much balance and he's such an underrated, intelligent and tacticial defensive winger.

He was absolutely was shit against ManUtd no doubt about that, but he was also our best player against PSG - players have off games, but to call it a reinvention of his qualities is absurd. He's been an outstanding tactical player for us over the past 18 months or so who brings the best out of Mahrez and allows him more freedom to negate his defensive duties, creates bucketloads of chances and provides great defensive stability and we desperately missed his qualities today.

Certainly Schlupp would have been an option, but we've sold him.

In hindsight I really think the lineup did whiff a bit of "well we will dick these". Though I can understand the instinct of wanting to get on top of them as soon as possible.

Ive also been baffled with why he hasn't played Wes and Hernandez together more in preseason knowing we would be without Huth this week. It literally looked at times as though Hernandez had no idea where Morgan was and where he was supposed to be. Again, slight bit of "oh, we will get through Hull and then sort it".

Again, easy to say all this now I suppose. Just a bit of a sad performance really...played in to every stereotype: flash cars, dodgy preseason, loads of wonga flying about, and a loss of the hunger that did us so well.

One game, and probably an important one to set realistic expectations. On we go.

Couldnt agree more!!

Meh. I'm still in the South of France, so this game doesn't even count, for me. The season starts next week, when I return :028:

"Sudden reinvention"? Complete horseshit......

I'm well aware of the qualities that Albrighton brings. These were very much in evidence towards the end of the 14/15 season and the first half of last season. However, his performances dropped off a lot in the second half of the season and he created virtually nothing and contributed little. After all, that's why he was replaced in the team at times and usually subbed off. You don't pick a winger to defend.

I was hoping we'd see him back on his game this season but he's not looking on it at all as yet. I think he's a confidence player and it just isn't there right now.

However, my favourite line from your post has made me laugh - it's the fault of those naughty strikers that failed to score from his assists that stopped him being rated even better - what total drivel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566