Post Match Hull 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defending was absolutely shocking throughout. I mean real bad. Piss poor marking at set pieces. This will hopefully be a well deserved kick up the arse at least. Hull were infinately better.

EDIT - also on the evidence of today it should probably be Okazaki and Musa to start next match. Vardy well out of sorts. Air shot summed his game up. Clearly not concentrating.

You do pick a 'winger' to defend if that's what their qualities allow and that's what the needs of the team require. Positions on a football pitch are multidimensional.

One of the reasons for today's defeat was us playing two attacking wide men with a midtable two containing no defensive players. The defence had no cover.

Albrighton was subbed off a lot last season because he was knackered from the work he put in.

I'm well aware of the qualities that Albrighton brings. These were very much in evidence towards the end of the 14/15 season and the first half of last season. However, his performances dropped off a lot in the second half of the season and he created virtually nothing and contributed little. After all, that's why he was replaced in the team at times and usually subbed off. You don't pick a winger to defend.

And that's exactly what I was talking about. People in England used to say the same about midfielders until Makelele.

People have this tunnel vision view of what players have to be by their position and one of the reasons Albrighton was such an underappreciated part of last season's success.

Alex Ferguson consistently and notoriously picked Ji-Sung Park on the wing for his ability to defend in the big matches. Helenio Herrara notoriously utilised defensive wingers to allow his full-backs more attacking freedom and they are two of the most successful managers of all-time, so managers clearly do pick wingers on their ability to defend and it clearly has been a successful tactic doing that - so to write it off as an option is silly. Especially when you have such a gung-ho winger as Mahrez on the opposition wing who you want to allow the freedom to join the attack without leaving huge holes in your midfield.

You pick players on their ability to fit the system and if that means picking a winger who is good defensively to help negate a very attacking winger on the opposite wing then that's what exactly what you should do.

However, my favourite line from your post has made me laugh - it's the fault of those naughty strikers that failed to score from his assists that stopped him being rated even better - what total drivel!

*Sigh*

You know very well that's a straw man BN. But I'll bite...

I wasn't blaming the strikers at all. But the simple fact is, assists are an overused because of fantasy football and I don't remember anyone caring about them until about 10 years ago because they rely as much on the assitee as the assister and chance creation stats are a much more accurate representation of creativity because they take the element of whether a striker finishes it or not out of the equation.

And objectively, Albrighton was one of the absolute best chance creators in the Premier League last season, as well as being our best as a club and England's best as a nation.

I wasn't blaming the striker, I was saying that he could easily have gotten more assists last season - as any player could - if they had taken more chances and that's why chance creation stats are more accurate representation of a player's creativity.

FOX Franks and I spotted a BMW i8 on the way out of Hull and so began the pursuit up the dual carriage way to see who was in it.

Turns out it was Kasper, and despite owning one of the most remarkable driving machines money can buy (or not in his case) he has a driver.

This lot are totally up themselves now, we're fecked.

FOX Franks and I spotted a BMW i8 on the way out of Hull and so began the pursuit up the dual carriage way to see who was in it.

Turns out it was Kasper, and despite owning one of the most remarkable driving machines money can buy (or not in his case) he has a driver.

This lot are totally up themselves now, we're fecked.

He's had a driver for a while. Pretty sure I read about him sleeping in a van or something on the way home.

One team looked together, fit and committed.

The other team looked desperately short of fitness and sharpness.

I think they were canny with the pitch. The grass was too long and it was too dry to stop the ball flowing. But we were horribly bad at coping with a very average opposition today.

Easily our worst performance in the league under Ranieri.

They gave the end they were attacking a right good soaking at half time

Let's not panic just yet - we clearly have players that are not firing on all cylinders. I think that Shinjy needs to start next week as we need to go back to what worked last year and his contribution cannot be understated.....Mendy hopefully back to try and fill in for Kante. The question is can Musa play wide and do the defensive work that Albrighton provides - if not then maybe it is either Vardy or Musa ?

Maybe we can go back to playing Racing Peatling Magna and Inter Gumley (with a high profile fixture against Coventry) next summer?

I think you just took the 3 points for granted.In fairness l think most teams would have been complacent against us.
It felt you were 4 players light without the performances of Kante and Huth

Well that was a bit shit.

I can't think of anyone that played well. We played like a team that had 11 new signings. Hull were fitter than us, stronger than us, and wanted it more than we did.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully).

After hearing about Gueye's performance for Everton, I can't help but think there's one that slipped the net with regards to replacing Kante. Those sort of midfielders are a rare breed, and my god do we need one this season.

Kante made our centre backs look unbeatable last season

After hearing about Gueye's performance for Everton, I can't help but think there's one that slipped the net with regards to replacing Kante. Those sort of midfielders are a rare breed, and my god do we need one this season.

Kante made our centre backs look unbeatable last season

I'm sure Morgan and Huth did a fair bit themselves too. No midfield could have covered for the shit our back 4 served up today.

I'm sure Morgan and Huth did a fair bit themselves too. No midfield could have covered for the shit our back 4 served up today.

Whilst I agree that they were awful, they were also very exposed. Much more so than last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669