Humble pie time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

four king power

Ive been reading through the Sven speculation threads, oh boy did Sven take a pasting on this forum from a fair few posters.

I think its time for those who were everything from sceptical to down right rude to say a little sorry...:icon_lol:

Over to you folkes..:006:

Ive been reading through the Sven speculation threads, oh boy did Sven take a pasting on this forum from a fair few posters.

I think its time for those who were everything from sceptical to down right rude to say a little sorry...:icon_lol:

Over to you folkes..:006:

Yes, I was one of them. I unjustifiably said I didn't want Sven Boring-Eriksson. How wrong I was and how delighted I am that we got him.

At the time I was concerned about the media circus that could follow Eriksson and wanted Martin O'Neill to come back. Thankfully neither happened.

Well said Martin, I'm sure you feel better for it :038::038::038:

Martin FolkesFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Martin Folkes, painted & etched by William HogarthMartin Folkes FRS (29 October 1690 – 28 June 1754), English antiquary, was born in London.

Is very sorry for doubting sven!

He was educated at Saumur University and Clare College, Cambridge,[1] where he so distinguished himself in mathematics that when only twenty-three years of age he was chosen a fellow of the Royal Society. He was elected one of the council in 1716, and in 1723 Sir Isaac Newton, president of the society, appointed him one of the vice-presidents. On the death of Newton he became a candidate for the presidency, but was defeated by Sir Hans Sloane, whom, however, he succeeded in 1741; in 1742 he was made a member of the French Academy; in 1746 he received honorary degrees from Oxford and Cambridge.

In 1733 he set out on a tour through Italy, in the course of which he composed his Dissertations on the weights and Values of Ancient Coins. Before the Society of Antiquaries, of which he was president from 1749 to 1754, he read in 1736 his Observations on the Trojan and Antonine Pillars at Rome and his Table of English Gold Coins from the 18th Year of King Edward III. In 1745 he printed the latter with another on the history of silver coinage. He also contributed both to the Society of Antiquaries and to the Royal Society other papers, chiefly on Roman antiquities. In 1739 he was elected one of the founding vice-presidents of London's charitable Foundling Hospital for abandoned children, a position he maintained until 1747.

Folkes was married in 1714 to Lucretia Bradshaw, an actress who had appeared at the Haymarket and Drury Lane (see Nichols's Lit. Anecdot. ii. 5 78-598). His portrait was painted and etched by William Hogarth (1697-1764).

For Sir John Hill's attack on Folkes (Review of the Works of the Royal Soc., 1751), see Isaac D'Israeli, Calamities and Quarrels of Authors (1860), pp. 364-366.

[edit] Sources

Although I was pretty bang on with my prediction that our home form would be top notch but our away form might still struggle (although it has improved), I must say I never expected Leicester to be linked with and sign (even if it's only on loan) the type and calibre of players that we have. For that I would like to give Sven a huge round of applause.

I was absolutely over the moon when we hired him. Actually couldn't believe that such a manager would eve come to Leicester. Still can't really.

I didn't criticise ol'Sven but my opinion has changed of the King Power pair.

Just hope Topp falls in love with us but I am hearing some fan appeasing moves in the summer are being prepared.

I do love the postings from Rich B claiming it is a superb appointment from a Forest perspective :)

I was absolutely over the moon when we hired him. Actually couldn't believe that such a manager would eve come to Leicester. Still can't really.

Whenever he's interviewed I still shake my head in disbelief then grin smugly that we have Sven in charge.

Can you believe how it is for us Swedes then? From being an obscure (despite KÃ¥mark's efforts to change that) second division team to front page stuff.

As I said at the time - surreal.

Whenever he's interviewed I still shake my head in disbelief then grin smugly that we have Sven in charge.

I've never agreed with the nation's at large's opinion of him as a bit of a clown and a mercenary (as per McLaren thread, I believe it's because the press gives ex-England managers a roasting). He always comes a cross as such an intelligent and down to earth chap in interviews and his "mercenary" tag he's got since England is absolute nonsense when you realise it hasn't been him who has instigated the leaving of the team on any occasion, it's just been a mixture of bad luck with new owners (ManCity, Notts County), temporary positions (Ivory Coast) and poor form based on 6 games (Mexico).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670