I need help from a vegetarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbins

Following on from the 'steak' thread - ironically i have 2 veggies coming round for a meal next week. I could do with some help in planning a really nice meal with no meat (I'm not used to that)... Was gonna do bruschettas, followed by mushroom risotto. I reckon that may be a bit boring...?

Any advice?

(They don't eat fish by the way)

Cheers and i really would appreciate any suggestions!

What gets me about vegetarian food is that a lot of it tries to be like real food.
Vegetarian sausages, vegetarian burgers, soya steaks etc.

The thing to do is prepare a regular normal food meal and tell the vegetarians that it's all meat free, but done to appear like normal food.

Sorted.

Anyway, I expect more suitable answers from other posters will help you.

Have fun.

Following on from the 'steak' thread - ironically i have 2 veggies coming round for a meal next week. I could do with some help in planning a really nice meal with no meat (I'm not used to that)... Was gonna do bruschettas, followed by mushroom risotto. I reckon that may be a bit boring...?

Any advice?

(They don't eat fish by the way)

Cheers and i really would appreciate any suggestions!

Risotto is a good idea, Butternut squash is really nice in a risotto....

Do they eat fish at all or are they proper veggies?

Last edited:
What gets me about vegetarian food is that a lot of it tries to be like real food.
Is food only real if it has the stench of death around it?
:icon_bigg

Don't cook them stuff like aubegines, courgettes, mediterranean mixed vegetables, stuffed peppers etc because that's what we always get fed or have to put up with in pubs and restaurants.

I did a cracking pie tonight. fry up some quorn chunks and mushrooms and steam some broccoli and asparagus. whilst they're cooking make a white sauce. really easy, make a roux and then thin it out with milk and vegetable stock.
put it all in a dish and cover with puff pastry, 20 mins on 200c

make sure they're not vegans first, what with the sauce and quorn.

By the way, did you know that milk is used to make quavers?

Why not just give them a raw three-pounds steak each and see what their reaction is?

Last edited:
You could try Asda steak pie, I've never found any meat in those.

Alternatively buy some sausage rolls and poke out the sausage.

If they're hardcore veggies they may also be careful about the kind of wines/beers they drink, most wines and beers are not veggie friendly and the ones that are often don't say on the label. So to be safe tell them to bring their own!

Cheers - they did say they'd bring there own so that may be the case!

Don't cook them stuff like aubegines, courgettes, mediterranean mixed vegetables, stuffed peppers etc because that's what we always get fed or have to put up with in pubs and restaurants.

That's exactly my problem - that and nut roasts! - i've nothing against veggie food but FFS.... a nut roast! (I have tried it by the way and it is grim).

hi bobbins !

Few questions are you hoping to cook one dish for veggies and meat eaters ? or are you planning on cooking meat as well ?

What sort of food do you normally make for friends ? Simple home cooked food or do you go for the more fancy stuff 5 courses and all that ?

If want to cook one meal for all why not go for something like fajitas , where you can make chicken for the meat eaters and cook the veg in a seperate pan & a veggie chilli ( made with quorn mince or similar ) served with all the trimmings( make sure you buy veggie cheese & dips) , everyone can then tuck in and choose what they want , which would save you the worry of putting the wrong thing on their plates .

Shouldnt cost you too much either and very easy to make - also you can freeze the chilli if you have too much to use later on jacket spuds .

I've been veggie for years now and the effort is always appreciated .

hope this helps good luck :023:

Last edited:
what do vegetarian worms eat?

Linda McCartney

here all week, please tip your waitress

hi bobbins !

Few questions are you hoping to cook one dish for veggies and meat eaters ? or are you planning on cooking meat as well ?

What sort of food do you normally make for friends ? Simple home cooked food or do you go for the more fancy stuff 5 courses and all that ?

If want to cook one meal for all why not go for something like fajitas , where you can make chicken for the meat eaters and cook the veg in a seperate pan & a veggie chilli ( made with quorn mince or similar ) served with all the trimmings( make sure you buy veggie cheese & dips) , everyone can then tuck in and choose what they want , which would save you the worry of putting the wrong thing on their plates .

Shouldnt cost you too much either and very easy to make - also you can freeze the chilli if you have too much to use later on jacket spuds .

I've been veggie for years now and the effort is always appreciated .

hope this helps good luck :023:

Thanks for that. Thats a really good idea - As it turns out i now do have some non-veggie people coming so would be great to have a choice! Really appreciate your help!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566