If Portsmouth go out of business...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmattp

...this is what the current table could look like (wishfull thinking, I know)

1 Southampton 40 80
2 Reading 40 79
3 West Ham 40 70
4 Birmingham 40 67
5 Blackpool 40 66
6 Cardiff 40 61
7 Leicester 40 60
8 Middlesbrough 40 59
9 Hull 40 58
10 Brighton 40 57
11 Derby 41 57
12 Burnley 40 56

They have announced huge debts http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17679909. Although the football league has given them money to limp through this season, it might not be enough if they still don't have a buyer. In which case, all points gained from them would be expunged. Hooray for our mediocrity against bottom half teams!!!

Last edited:
How about gaining reward just due to performance on the pitch

It's fast approaching 10 years since LCFC was in administration, we hope the Pompey Trust are successful in pulling a solution together, because there seems to be no other alternative

For once I have to agree with the FT. I'm not going to cross my fingers and hope Pompey go out of business in order to have a better chance of getting into the play off spots. The fact that some of us might be says a lot about the quality of our season overall. Let's hope for miracles not the worst fears of another set of supporters.

No-one said anything about hoping they go out of business, it was just an observation that it could happen, and if it did it would benefit us.

Sadly this is a situation that many more clubs will find themselves in, although we musn't react as if they have been unlucky in contracting some uncurable dabilitating disease. They are in this situation by poor dicisions and risks that they have made, knowing the full consequences. Here in Australia a lot of AFL clubs have found themselves in financial trouble as the sport becomes more money focussed, and have had to fold or relocate as a result. It's just the way sport is going sadly. If a club doesn't have the fanbase or money making facilities to stay afloat, when do the handouts stop?

As a lifelong City fan, I of course would love to see success come our way, but with the influx of money we have had, Portsmouths situation is always in the back of my mind.

They are in this situation by poor dicisions and risks that they have made, knowing the full consequences.

Very true although the Portsmouth fans didn't ask for those decisions to be taken. Yes I'm sure winning the FA cup and playing European football would have been welcome, but having this situation they are now facing is something none of them would have gambled.

with the influx of money we have had, Portsmouths situation is always in the back of my mind.

You are definitely not alone with that thought, I just hope the powers that be have a watchful eye.

Very true although the Portsmouth fans didn't ask for those decisions to be taken. Yes I'm sure winning the FA cup and playing European football would have been welcome, but having this situation they are now facing is something none of them would have gambled.

You're absolutely right, but again this emphasises the fact that fans are only considered as potential income rather than what they are - the heart and soul of the club and sport. If a brand stops producing a product, fans of that product will find another one to use.That will not work in football, it's part of who you are; and yet clubs are willing to risk it all to get a few more people through the turnstiles.

Last edited:
Imagine if Leicester went bust. I'd probably die inside.

I KNOW my Dad would!

I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

Really? I love Leicester and wouldn't ever want to see them go, but if the worse did happen, I'm pretty sure I'd get over it after a short spell of mourning. It's just football at the end of the day. There's far more important things in life. Anyone who really thinks like this needs to start seeing a psychiatrist.

Really? I love Leicester and wouldn't ever want to see them go, but if the worse did happen, I'm pretty sure I'd get over it after a short spell of mourning. It's just football at the end of the day. There's far more important things in life. Anyone who really thinks like this needs to start seeing a psychiatrist.
But then you're not a proper fan, gregsy

I didn't want to say it, but I'll jump on your bandwagon. I agree with this.

I didn't want to say it, but I'll jump on your bandwagon. I agree with this.

Yep, and me. It's ****ing horrible but you learn to deal with it. We lost the Hornets about 10 years ago and it was miserable, but you go about your business in the end.

The league will keep them going until pre-season for next year and then it will be bye bye to Pompey as we know them now I'm afraid. Much easier for them to go under in the pre-season than at the end of the current one as it doesn't look like a buyer will be found now they've had to lose the washing machines in the accounts department - everyone knows that accountants will only do their job whilst being tip-top smart.

Last edited:
The league will keep them going until pre-season for next year and then it will be bye bye to Pompey as we know them now I'm afraid. Much easier for them to go under in the pre-season than at the end of the current one as it doesn't look like a buyer will be found now they've had to lose the washing machines in the accounts department - everyone knows that accountants will only do their job whilst being tip-top smart.

Yep, I was thinking the same (about the first bit, not the washing machines). This close to the end of the season, there is no way they'd go under. The league would give them more handouts or something to keep them in it.

I can't see how they can survive into/past next season though, dropping down into League One. They're surely going to go.

Isn't it illegal to keep a company going knowing it is insolvent? :102:

Last edited:

If they do go under, it needs to be as soon as possible at the end of this season. If it's too late League One will only have 23 teams in it next season, which will reduce income for the other clubs and people will have bought season tickets for a 23 home game season.

If they go under early enough, before other clubs and leagues have made plans for next season, the league could just relegate one fewer team from L1 this season, and do the same from L2 and Blue Square Prem etc, leaving one of the lower leagues with an extra team to find, which is something that happens regularly.
I think when this situation has arisen in the past there's been a cut off period, where the league has needed assurances about the club's viability before allowing them to stay in the league. As things stand at the moment that looks unlikely, and time is running out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669