If you hate Holloway - read this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dependant on where you live or used to live Coventry have always been our main rivals.

Ask any City fans from Hinckley,Nuneaton or Rugby!

But for the first 30 years of our league existence Coventry were still playing in the Birmingham league or Southern league. Even after that the two clubs paths rarely crossed until Cov reached the top flight in the 1960s. The main rivalry in the early days was with Loughborough town - matches frequenly involved pitched battles between rival fans.

Later it was Forest & Leicester, as the two clubs spent most of their time in the same division. That was certainly the case when I started going in the early 50s - Derby were languishing in div3 at that time. Forest's big preoccupation with Derby (& vice versa) really came with the upturn in fortunes of both clubs in the 70s, exacerbated by the move of Clough, and several players, east along the A52.

The point is that these things ebb and flow over time - not just for us but generally (look at Man U, whose big rivalry has moved from Man city to Liverpool - and for a while Leeds - as the status of the clubs changed).

There's only one flaw to this masterplan.....if you get beaten, you're effectively saying we got beaten by a twat. Where will that leave you? (Apart from still below us sheepshaggers :icon_wink)

We didn't, and we're not. :icon_wink

Did anyone actually see any of these retards wearing Ollie masks at the game yesterday? I didn't thank feck.

I didn't check if he was wearing one, but the bloke behind me in the first half certainly fits part of that description.

I knocked the hat off the man in front of me when we scored the second which seemed to ruin the experience for him. That wasn't you was it?

Neither can anybody else :icon_bigg

It's too long.

Although I guess it has to be if you're documenting all of the bus, train, tram, plane routes you used to get to the last away match.

The bit about catching the 10:43 Donkey through Nazareth to get to Macclesfield was interesting though.

It's too long.

Although I guess it has to be if you're documenting all of the bus, train, tram, plane routes you used to get to the last away match.

The bit about catching the 10:43 Donkey through Nazareth to get to Macclesfield was interesting though.

Interestingly enough, I can rarely be bothered with anything that only consists of a few words. That's why I can't read low-rent newspapers or Andy McNab books.

(If you prefer, substitute Andy McNab for Dan Brown. It makes the same point.)

Dependant on where you live or used to live Coventry have always been our main rivals.

Ask any City fans from Hinckley,Nuneaton or Rugby!

Lived in Hinckley since I was 7, so it's always been the Cov feckers who I want to beat most. I also agree that the rivalry with them seems more natural, as they actually do geniunely see us as big rivals, whereas with Forest and Derby it always feels like sloppy seconds after each other, I know some people reject it because they are a West Midlands side, but I think that makes it better, playing for regional pride rather than just city/county pride.

Peterborough seem to see us as rivals too from what I've read on other forums, problem is we've only been in the same division for about 3 years in our histories, but like someone else says these things change over time, so that one could easily flare up if we spend a few more years in the same division together.

I agree as every year passes, Cov are becoming more and more like our biggest rivals in general though and not just for us South Leicestershirians, I seem to remember BB doing a poll on here a couple of seasons back in which it was virtually split between Forest and Cov between who we saw as out biggest, I think if we did that now Cov may just shade it, was there not also an incident in the 60s where they relegated us thanks to a very dodgy ref on the final day of the season or something?

Last edited:
... Cov may just shade it, was there not also an incident in the 60s where they relegated us thanks to a very dodgy ref on the final day of the season or something?

We were only relegated once in the 60s and that was a result of failing to win at Old Trafford after scoring in the first minute. Cov would have gone down if we had won that day.

Noel (that is the name of that bastard) Cantwell, one-time Manchester United player and then Coventry manager, was unwise enough to try to drive away from the ground immediately after the match and there was a very nasty incident involving him and a large group of City fans.

Peterborough seem to see us as rivals too from what I've read on other forums,

It used to be nothing compared to that with Cambridge United. Mebbe the 14 year old keyboard warriors have forgotten about them since they've dropped out of the league.

It used to be nothing compared to that with Cambridge United. Mebbe the 14 year old keyboard warriors have forgotten about them since they've dropped out of the league.

Don't think they consider us their biggest rivals ahead of Cambridge or Northampton, I think they just aspire to be a top 2 divisions side, and this is one way of going about it.

I was just reading The Game in today's Times and thought Holloway was very gracious in defeat and on losing his job to Pearson.

"Leicester have the right man. it feels like I was never here but i've learnt from it."

But why :102: As far as I can see you keep just citing buying players who never played, which is irrelevant, and because he didn't strengthen well enough in August, and saying that has more relevance than Ollie not strengthening in January when we were in 18th place. I'm not saying MA is a great manager, or would have turned out to be a great manager, but how is he more responsible for the relegation than Ollie, or a worse manager in Leicester's history than Ollie?

We need strengthening in the summer and he blatantly failed to do that. Buying players that you haven't seen play, and indeed never play to for the club can only be decremental to the club.

Ollie did strengthen - Oakley and Howard were great signings. But they needed a manager not a clown.

Not to those of us who suffered the third tier it doesn't!

Most enjoyable season for years - and I'm not just talking about the results.

I thought that Holloway was absolutely hopeless as Leicester manager although that is no justification whatsoever for those who have tried to almost demonise him as a person.

At the end of the day he had 32 games to ensure our survival and somehow failed in spite of having relatively reasonable playing resources.

I appreciate that some supporters derived a lot of pleasure from visiting obscure football outposts and minnow bashing (football wise not literally - hopefully) last season, but to me they were fairly empty triumphs.

Still some good may have come out of it - and it may be all part and parcel of getting back to where we need to be i.e. excruciating struggles against relegation in the Premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669