If you hate Holloway - read this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holloway will do better at clubs which out-perform, an underdog type. I was rather hoping when he came here that he would prove me wrong, but not. At places like Plymouth and Blackpool he will feed the 'we won't get beaten even though everyone thinks we should' mentality in to the squad and I am sure he's good at doing that.
At our club, there is a mentality that we should win anyways.

How remarkable that a thread with such a negative and unpleasant start should have ended up so interesting.

I am reluctant to condemn a manager who never had a close season. Reading his book I think Ian Holloway needs the close season more than most managers. I also feel that Gary Megson does not get enough blame. When he walked out - the 4th manager in less than a year -the squad must have realised that there was something wrong.
Ian Holloway failed in a number of ways. He took too long to realise how poor some of Martin Allen's signings were. He was unable to bring in good enough wingers during the transfer window. Sometimes his tactical decisions were naive. He took too long to realise that Henderson was a better goalkeeper than Alnwick. Above all he was unable to restore the confidence of Matty Fryatt who had been rubbished by Martin Allen.

Coming into a club in crisis without a pre-season is never easy and required a calming influence. Sadly this the wrong club at the wrong time. I wish him well.

How remarkable that a thread with such a negative and unpleasant start should have ended up so interesting.

I am reluctant to condemn a manager who never had a close season. Reading his book I think Ian Holloway needs the close season more than most managers. I also feel that Gary Megson does not get enough blame. When he walked out - the 4th manager in less than a year -the squad must have realised that there was something wrong.
Ian Holloway failed in a number of ways. He took too long to realise how poor some of Martin Allen's signings were. He was unable to bring in good enough wingers during the transfer window. Sometimes his tactical decisions were naive. He took too long to realise that Henderson was a better goalkeeper than Alnwick. Above all he was unable to restore the confidence of Matty Fryatt who had been rubbished by Martin Allen.

Coming into a club in crisis without a pre-season is never easy and required a calming influence. Sadly this the wrong club at the wrong time. I wish him well.

As far as Megson is concerned - a lot of us, including me, got it wrong. We saw it as a let down that he had been appointed. Obviously the nutters had a problem in that he had been involved with the Forest, but others including myself associated him with boring football. Consequently, it must have been clear to him that he wasn't much liked or wanted. So he was well within his rights to clear off to Bolton.

In the event - although he has never been popular there either - he has been so far successful in keeping a small town club afloat in the Premiership. They don't play attractive stuff - but to be honest we didn't exactly play champagne football when we were doing well under MON.

As far as Megson is concerned - a lot of us, including me, got it wrong. We saw it as a let down that he had been appointed. Obviously the nutters had a problem in that he had been involved with the Forest, but others including myself associated him with boring football. Consequently, it must have been clear to him that he wasn't much liked or wanted. So he was well within his rights to clear off to Bolton.

In the event - although he has never been popular there either - he has been so far successful in keeping a small town club afloat in the Premiership. They don't play attractive stuff - but to be honest we didn't exactly play champagne football when we were doing well under MON.

I partially agree. I don't think the forest link was the problem, it certainly wasn't for me, it was more the type of ''football'' he advocates, boring, negative and unattractive, now i think that could be acceptable if the results were very good, a la Wimbledon early on, but season after season of hoofball is a sure way to lose supporters should the results - and i don't mean survival - not follow.

I think under the MON era you are correct that we weren't exactly ''champagne'' in style but we were successful, and as such it is more acceptable. I think our style under MON was more 'up em and at em' but mixed with the skill of players like Muzzy and the pace of Heskey. Therefore probably pomagne.

I think the current style is not too dissimilar, but possibly a little more attack minded. I only know this from what i have read on here and read in the papers and seen from the Newcastle match so others will definately have a better perspective on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly I have no objection to ex-Forest players coming to manage Leicester. MON set a good example and at various times I hoped Stuart Pearce might be appointed though I am very happy with the current manager.
In the 1980s I would have loved us to have poached the then Forest manager.

How many masks were there in the crowd then?

Done good again tonight. Mebbe he is only at his best when motivating underdogs but it's still a good result.

Done good again tonight. Mebbe he is only at his best when motivating underdogs but it's still a good result.

Newcastle beat Leicester
Leicester beat Blackpool
Blackpool beat Newcastle

Football really is a funny old game :icon_lol:

I always laugh when people say something like 'Well, Leicester beat Blackpool 2-1 and Blackpool beat Coventry 3-0 so Leicester should beat Coventry 4-1'.

It's stupid. We'll obviously beat them 5-0.

I always laugh when people say something like 'Well, Leicester beat Blackpool 2-1 and Blackpool beat Coventry 3-0 so Leicester should beat Coventry 4-1'.

It's stupid. We'll obviously beat them 5-0.

No wonder you havent won the funniest poster award for the last 5 years :icon_roll

TBs very own Lenny Henry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673