If you were God..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people believe there is a God etc then there is one,if they believe it and it helps them and gives them peace and makes them happy then to me there is no questioning it.Its an individual thing because one believes it doesn't mean all have to and if they want to follow a religion etc and it harms nobody else then i see no harm at all in it
Religion has caused more harm than good.It continues to divide people on a massive scale.

Im not shooting the messenger by the way HF :icon_wink

Religion has caused more harm than good.It continues to divide people on a massive scale.

Aye, 'cos supposed 'non-religious' countries have always acted with the utmost integrity and humanitarianism haven't they :icon_roll

Aye, 'cos supposed 'non-religious' countries have always acted with the utmost integrity and humanitarianism haven't they :icon_roll

Which non-religious countries are there?

I can think of Norway which has one of the lowest crime rates in the world & ranks very highly on a lot of other metrics.

I am struggling to think of any other countries though.

Which non-religious countries are there?

I can think of Norway which has one of the lowest crime rates in the world & ranks very highly on a lot of other metrics.

I am struggling to think of any other countries though.
Does this help Macky....

Religion
[SIZE=+3]The Church of Norway [/SIZE]
The main religion in Norway is The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway, to which 89% of the population belongs to and which is the religion of the state. Church and state are not separated in Norway, but complete religious freedom is guaranteed. The remaining 11% of the population belong to Islam, the Roman-Catholic church, various Protestant denominations, other religions or are non-religious.

free counselling and advice services (not to mention financial support) that they provide to people

the free services paid for by the collection plate?

granted local CoE vicars do a lot of great work and i never said they didn't. but that doesn't make religion the truth, it just means there's lots of old biddy clubs in Britain that go under the umbrella of the church

Cheap shots are easy to make - just a pity that they do not reflect the truth most of the time

so you're saying that for most of the time, religion isn't a pyramid scheme?

:102:

i'm more than willing for people to believe what they want, but the religious influence in the state is too much

having to attend church to get your kids in a school....for ****'s sake

unelected bishops in the house of lords... for ****'s sake

Im not shooting the messenger by the way HF :icon_wink

I get your point but I'm on about religion on a more personal level and if Old Madge likes going to church and tea with the vicar then I don't see what harm that does and why her faith should be questioned.Like homer said Vicaqrs do alot of work that goes unnoticed within the Community

Does this help Macky....

Religion
[SIZE=+3]The Church of Norway [/SIZE]
The main religion in Norway is The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway, to which 89% of the population belongs to and which is the religion of the state. Church and state are not separated in Norway, but complete religious freedom is guaranteed. The remaining 11% of the population belong to Islam, the Roman-Catholic church, various Protestant denominations, other religions or are non-religious.

Sorry, what I meant was it has no state religion & has the lowest proportion of population who are believers.

if the counter to the point that "religion causes harm"

is "yeah but some non religous countries cause harm", then..

that is completely specious reasoning

it's like the old "smoking kills"

yeah, but my auntie smoked and died by getting hit by a bus

the Gulag and the Killing Fields were non religious, but so what. that doesn't prove religion doesn't cause harm

I get your point but I'm on about religion on a more personal level and if Old Madge likes going to church and tea with the vicar then I don't see what harm that does and why her faith should be questioned.Like homer said Vicaqrs do alot of work that goes unnoticed within the Community

I agree, what harm on an individual level?

You could also argue that a lot of vicars & priests cause an awful lot of damage.

Several members of my own family suffered horrific sexual & physical abuse by clerics.

granted local CoE vicars do a lot of great work and i never said they didn't. but that doesn't make religion the truth, it just means there's lots of old biddy clubs in Britain that go under the umbrella of the church

so you're saying that for most of the time, religion isn't a pyramid scheme?

:102:

i'm more than willing for people to believe what they want, but the religious influence in the state is too much

having to attend church to get your kids in a school....for ****'s sake

unelected bishops in the house of lords... for ****'s sake

Why is it in America the catholic church has had to pay out millions to young lads that were sexually abused by 'so called men of the cloth'.Vicars and priests there all the same to me,id rather have Fred West babysit than have any of my kids go to church.

I agree, what harm on an individual level?

You could also argue that a lot of vicars & priests cause an awful lot of damage.
Several members of my own family suffered horrific sexual & physical abuse by clerics.
I agree, some people with 'power' will always abuse that power:icon_sad:

Their whole belief system is fundamentally flawed & the basis for offering the services that they do offer is based on the recipient buying into their belief system.

Why is it in America the catholic church has had to pay out millions to young lads that were sexually abused by 'so called men of the cloth'.Vicars and priests there all the same to me,id rather have Fred West babysit than have any of my kids go to church.

all you need to be a priest is to recite dogma, you don't need to be intelligent, successful, a fine up standing member of the community, you just need to have sense of self-importance and a dedication to God

consequently, priests are unelected, un-supervised, self-important and fairly often misfits from society in general

and the members of the community assume that because there is a God and priests are his messengers, they are more than capable of looking after their children

wrong assumptions, bad consequences

there is a God and he doesn't like blood transfusions. wrong assumption, bad consequence

religion and superstition evolved in our ancestors are we tried to apply causation to random events and this has stayed with us

there was an experiment where pigeons were kept in a box and given seed at random points. the pigeons remembered whatever they were doing when the seed arrived (say looking over their left shoulder) and the pigeons developed these bizarre rituals and did them all the time to try and get more seeds, looking over their shoulders, bobbing up and down

same with humans, rain dances, lucky pants, star signs all the way to jihad

"With or without [religion] you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion.”

all you need to be a priest is to recite dogma, you don't need to be intelligent, successful, a fine up standing member of the community, you just need to have sense of self-importance and a dedication to God

consequently, priests are unelected, un-supervised, self-important and fairly often misfits from society in general

and the members of the community assume that because there is a God and priests are his messengers, they are more than capable of looking after their children

wrong assumptions, bad consequences

there is a God and he doesn't like blood transfusions. wrong assumption, bad consequence

religion and superstition evolved in our ancestors are we tried to apply causation to random events and this has stayed with us

there was an experiment where pigeons were kept in a box and given seed at random points. the pigeons remembered whatever they were doing when the seed arrived (say looking over their left shoulder) and the pigeons developed these bizarre rituals and did them all the time to try and get more seeds, looking over their shoulders, bobbing up and down

same with humans, rain dances, lucky pants, star signs all the way to jihad
Top post :038:

These feckers hide behind the cloak not because they are strong,but because they are weak.

Old Madge,Tom Cruise etc are inventing their own religions Holywood style for their own benefit and publicity.Just confuses your average punter even more.

Top post :038:

These feckers hide behind the cloak not because they are strong,but because they are weak.

thanx

:icon_redf

i'd also like to add that people in general aren't that good at rationalising things, humans aren't logic machines, we irrationly love, hate, believe, get jealous, we're just animals and are ruled by our genes to a certain extent

you only have to look at the MMR outcry to see how badly people reason

thanx

:icon_redf

i'd also like to add that people in general aren't that good at rationalising things, humans aren't logic machines, we irrationly love, hate, believe, get jealous, we're just animals and are ruled by our genes to a certain extent

you only have to look at the MMR outcry to see how badly people reason
Your the one for me DV,you tw*t,your right tho and by the way my posts are better than yours :icon_cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  614
2Chelsea613
3Liverpool512
4Arsenal612
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69